Confirmed with Link: [COL/TOR] Colin Smith & 2016 4th Rd Pick For Shawn Matthias

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Interesting.

I definitely think its fair value and I have no problem with giving up the 4th or Smith. From what I've read Mathias is a damn good bottom 6 guy, should be a boost to our team.

snizzbone*

He's a solid bottom sixer. He often makes some nice plays but then doesn't finish em. Good speed and such.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Does he play more center or wing?

Can remember him playing both.

Sucks to lose Smith as there really aren't a lot of centers in SA, but I guess Avs come #1, and SA #2.
But I guess his value was a really low pick like 5th-7th, so basically Matthias wasn't very expensive at all.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like it, I wanted the Avs to sign this guy in the off-season.

Decent offensive player too, scored a hat trick last year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why on earth are people saying they expect Mitchell to get moved?

If anything, this deal moves Martinsen out of the lineup. Not Mitchell off of the team. Matthias isn't Mitchell's replacement. I like this deal a lot. Big forward who has very good speed and is an actual NHL player, not a Martinsen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Matthias should be a nice get for our bottom 6...but I was really hoping we'd add a third pairing RHD with similar assets instead.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This could be an indication that Mitchell is moved, but it also might be a sign that Martinsen is headed down, or perhaps Wagner back on waivers?

Regardless, this is a solid boost to our bottom 6.

Landy - Mack - Tanguay
Iggy - Duchene - Greg
Comeau - Sodapop - Mathias
McCleod - Mitchell - Skille

Martinsen sent down, or we trade Mitchell and Mathias or Skille goes as 4C.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I really like this move. Some bum in the bottom 6 will be a healthy scratch/waived/whatever and we get a decent bottom 6 player to replace them. My only concern is where the Avs decide to take a goalie. I'm afraid they'll wait until the 5th round now.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Matthias was a guy I wanted the Avs to target this offseason and I think he's a player Roy thinks will fit in his system. Also young enough to stick around with the core if he works out and Avs decide to re-sign him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Smith didn't have a future here since he was undersized and drafted by the previous regime.

If this gets Martinsen out of the lineup, I'm fine with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad