Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Ryan Murray signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $2M)

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Amazing pickup for the Avs. And really no surprise, Sakic is a good GM. All the shitty GMs were busy signing shitty players last week and forgot about the best UFA defenceman after Hamilton.

Lol he's not. Good deal but stop being a Homer. Murray wasn't the best D after hamilton . Not even close.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Graves for Murray, Maltsev, and a second isn't bad business for a team up against it between expansion and salary cap.

Murray should be a decent bottom/occasional mid pairing guy for the fifty games he might play
He played 48 of 56 for a lousy Jersey team.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
A cheap one year deal and everyone is cat fighting over his skill level or how good of a signing it is lmao. Murray is a solid option, if he gets hurt for 10+ games he gets replaced until he’s back, not a big deal. Avs dcore is absolutely stacked.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Lol he's not. Good deal but stop being a Homer. Murray wasn't the best D after hamilton . Not even close.

Once again, I’m not an Avs fan. And once again, good try at formulating an argument.

The hfboards “I can’t make an argument” starter pack:

“Lol”
“Not even close”
“Homer”
“Homer glasses”
“This website is a joke”
“Shiny new toy”

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I disagree. He played 48 of 56 for a terrible NJ team.

As an aside some of those missed games were benchings. He didn’t miss any games to injury that I recall. He had a non-Covid illness after the team returned from quarantine and then played badly and sat for a bit. He was meh for a while but finished well. I think most NJ fans would have welcomed him back for another year but NJ clearly wants to start giving some chances to the younger defenders which I get. Best of luck to him in COL.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

He had Covid at one point and the Devils used the games down the stretch to get looks at players like Siegenthaler, Bahl and I believe even Carrick and White.

Murray was one of the better defensemen for the Devils and was a big part of the better-than-expected start; before he was either injured or sick.

With a full off-season to recuperate and prepare he should be a strong addition for the Avalanche.

If you view it as Graves for Murray it seems Colorado is getting the better of the deal.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good pickup, too bad about his health issues as his back problems sound quite serious. Can’t complain if you’re an Avs fan at that price though.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
He had Covid at one point and the Devils used the games down the stretch to get looks at players like Siegenthaler, Bahl and I believe even Carrick and White.

Murray was one of the better defensemen for the Devils and was a big part of the better-than-expected start; before he was either injured or sick.

With a full off-season to recuperate and prepare he should be a strong addition for the Avalanche.

If you view it as Graves for Murray it seems Colorado is getting the better of the deal.

Maltsev and a second aswell.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
People want to shit on Sakic for the Keumper trade but at least he fixed the teams biggest hole. This is a good depth move if Murray can stay healthy.
I find it hilarious that before last season everyone said goaltending was Colorado's greatest weakness. Had Sakic traded for Kuemper last offseason everyone would agree it's an upgrade. Grubauer had an amazing year on a stacked team in a historically weak division.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Nice pick up for the avs, you hate to see it. Was hoping the Blues would sign Murray to a contract like this.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
A guy in a contract year gives up halfway through because he's lacking motivation, and that doesn't set off any red flags for you?
I don’t agree with the idea that Murray gave up, or even that he played his best hockey in the beginning of the year.

He was first paired with Subban and that was actually the worst pairing for Murray all season. Subban got better when Murray was out when he got paired paired with Kulikov. Murray was healthy scratched in late February because Kulikov had taken his spot on the top pair.

After getting back in Murray did better 5v5 first with Vatanen and then with Severson. Murray and Severson were the top pair at the end of the season, he averaged ~21 minutes in the last 10 games.

He didn’t even have the worst numbers of the penalty-killing defensemen with heavy PK minutes, Subban was the worst and Severson was close behind him. (Murray’s PK numbers are real bad though, because **gestures at the Lovecraftian cosmic horror that masqueraded as the NJ Devils’ PK last year**)

He had tough stretches and he missed time with a mystery non-COVID “illness” that was never specified. I have no idea if his back had an “illness” or something else was going on though.

Clearly Murray was hoping for a bigger deal, didn’t get a decent offer with term from anyone and took a short term deal with the best team offering him one. He probably could have gotten more money elsewhere but his possession numbers will no doubt thank him for his choice here and if he’s healthy and looks good in playoffs he’ll increase his chances of getting more next time around.

Reactions: shadow1

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Good signing...

Great off season for the Av's.....Grubauer wasn't the guy to get them over the hump in the playoffs.....He had plenty of chances and didn't do it......Definitely better off taking your chances with Kuemper....And Murray just has to stay healthy and he will make the defense deeper....

A+ off season for the Av's ....The addressed exactly what they needed to....

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Grubauer --- Kuemper
Graves ------ Ryan Murray
Timmins --- Johnson
Nemeth ---- Byram
Bellemare -- Maltsev
Donskoi ---- Helm
Saad -------- Newhook

If we get a top 6 forward then every single one could arguably be considered an upgrade, certainly all the defensive changes are.
You keep saying upgrade. I don’t think that word means what you think it does.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That's how you take advantage of players getting nervous getting left out in free agency. You make them give up term primarily.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I remember that comparison.
Is the first 4 picks in that 2012 draft the worst Top4 in NHL history ?

Nail: bust
Murray: depth Dman
Galchenyuk: declined in his mid 20s and not far from being out of the league.
Reinhart: bust.
Mo at 5 was nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad