Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Ryan Murray signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $2M)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's also been plagued by injuries since then. Back injuries can significantly impact players, which in his case they have.

If you're expecting anything more than a low event 3rd pairing D you haven't watched him play.

He isn't as quick as he used to be but his brain still works. As of last August he was still one of the best passers on the Jackets. His smooth transition play was missed.

If you care about defence then Murray is an outstanding defenceman and IMO was the 2nd best available as a UFA. Injuries are an issue with him, but he's basically a 27 year old left handed Chris Tanev: injury prone, great 5 on 5 defender, great penalty killer, provides almost nothing offensively.

I would agree that the quality with Murray is really good, he has a great effect on his partners. But the difference between him and someone like Tanev is that when Tanev is healthy he can still play 24 hard minutes. Murray has a permanent back condition and needs to play less or he'll break.

Which is exactly what the Avs need. I remember him to be a decent skater before his injuries as well. Not sure how good he still is but probably good enough to thrive in our system. Between him and EJ we hopefully have 1 available most of the time (especially in the playoffs).

Very happy about it.

Way better than spending the caproom on a Tatar or DeBrusk.

His skating isn't as quick these days. I would say his solid defense and good passing is more his calling card.

I’d imagine him and EJ swap throughout the season depending on who is healthy and feeling good.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - Murray

Would be my guess. If they can stay healthy the Avs are going to have their best top six defense since their golden years.

I don't think Murray has ever played the right side. I think a younger spryer LD could switch sides more ably.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
He isn't as quick as he used to be but his brain still works. As of last August he was still one of the best passers on the Jackets. His smooth transition play was missed.

I would agree that the quality with Murray is really good, he has a great effect on his partners. But the difference between him and someone like Tanev is that when Tanev is healthy he can still play 24 hard minutes. Murray has a permanent back condition and needs to play less or he'll break.

His skating isn't as quick these days. I would say his solid defense and good passing is more his calling card.

I don't think Murray has ever played the right side. I think a younger spryer LD could switch sides more ably.

He's a good player. Just was commenting on the poster calling him the second best defensemen on the market.

He's a good depth defensemen with a history of back issues.

Good signing, but this alone won't move the dial for Colorado.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Good deal. Good team for Murray to bet on himself with, too. Even if he puts up zero points, if Colorado even just makes the playoffs, he can spin this into something well north of the Poolman contract.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was hoping Calgary would sign him to a short term contract giving Valimaki and Mackey time to develop.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
He was awesome for us early in the season, but the injuries started like they have his entire career. He never looked good again after his first hiatus.

It's not "If" ... he just isn't going to stay healthy. Glad the Devil's didn't re-sign him, he pretty much guarantees you'll have to start juggling things around.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He's better than Graves.

But there's a good chance he ends up missing half the season.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Grubauer --- Kuemper
Graves ------ Ryan Murray
Timmins --- Johnson
Nemeth ---- Byram
Bellemare -- Maltsev
Donskoi ---- Helm
Saad -------- Newhook

If we get a top 6 forward then every single one could arguably be considered an upgrade, certainly all the defensive changes are.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He's a really solid player when he's on the ice. If he's on the bottom pair, he's one of the best bottom pair dmen in the league. Really the only downside is he's going to miss a good chunk of the season. He's only played one full season.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Why does everyone think this is a good signing? He will be out for more than half the season. He was OK for the Jackets, but nothing special.
As for being number two overall... Yes he was and who was number 1 that year? Yakupov. He has had a better career than Nail but not by a lot.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad