GDT: COL @ PIT | Oct-16-2019 | 5 PM MDT

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
But Jost is never one to slack. Say what you will about him but he's always works hard. Benching him wouldn't be a good motivational tactic--his shortcomings aren't the result of laziness.

Zadorov has been benched for bad play/ stupid penalties as well. Bednar should be consistent with his coaching.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Zadorov has been benched for bad play/ stupid penalties as well. Bednar should be consistent with his coaching.

But that's the point--he is consistent. He keeps Z on a short leash because he clearly feels that's the only way to get the best out of him. The big mistakes are usually the result of lazy plays or lack of attention to detail. I don't think he tolerates that from anyone, except maybe MacKinnon, but I think we can all agree he ain't benching MacKinnon anytime soon. I don't really see any inconsistency beyond that.

Reactions: Kschey

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Undefeated to start the season? Better start messing with the d-pairings!

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I don't get the move but I'm happy to defer to Bednar here. He has a little more to do with the 5-0 start than I do, though I'm still gonna wear my lucky boxer briefs for the game.

Reactions: shadow1 and klozge

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
If Z sits who are the refs going to penalize for existing? Cole? EJ? Probably Kadri, right?

Obviously, whoever dares look at Crosby.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Tellin' ya, Bedz loves him some Barbs.

Also, poor Nuke. He's been working so hard, and actually playing real well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Second goal wasn't his fault, he went after the proper player, it was one of Donskoi/Burakovsky that lost their man.

The Avs don't play a man system... Z went wide, put his stick in a lane and forced Kuznetsov to the point while following him. He should have stayed inside the dots or just outside it, passed Kuznetsov to Donskoi and covered Oshie. You can see on the replay that Donskoi was expecting Z to pass Kuznetsov off, but Z following Kuznetsov put Donskoi in no man's land between Oshie and Orlov. Now Bura did lose Orlov who was his man in the situation and made it worse. It wasn't all Z's fault, but his poor read and taking himself out of the play by going wide was a big reason the defensive coverage broke down. The coaches seemed to agree as he got stapled to the bench right after that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Z also scored a goal last game. Even if he f***ed up in his own zone it's a weird timing for healthy scratch.

Unless Bednar just wants to play Barbs...which means that Graves passed Zadorov in the depth chart.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's just one game, I don't think we need to jump to conclusions.

This...

To me, Bednar is just sending a message to Z and with Z's situational awareness/IQ/whatever you want to call it, it is merited. Z will be back in the lineup in Sunrise.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Weird decision but I am not questioning Bednar whatsoever. Took us to Game 7 in the second round year last year and we're 5-0 in to start, I'm riding with him and his decisions...until we lose. :sarcasm:

Reactions: thejamch

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Anyone know the last player who was healthy scratched the game after scoring a goal? Anyone?
Good point. We might have to dig deep to find the last Avs in that scenario. Especially not a 13-14th forward or 7-8th D or rookie moving to make space for a vet returning from injury or arriving from a trade.

No wonder Z still gets the rookie treatment from the refs, he gets it from his own coach...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad