GDT: COL @ PIT | Oct-16-2019 | 5 PM MDT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Playing Barberio over Zadorov isn't smart regardless because he's bad but it has to be the penalties. We may not agree with some of them but he has five minors in five games. That's one behind the league leaders and the players ahead of him have played more games.

Reactions: shadow1

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Zads hasn't been terrible but he's capable of much more imo. Lazy brain dead icings, lots of penalties (some his fault and some not). He probably doesn't deserve to sit, but if that's what it takes to make him play better than so be it.

Hopefully he's back soon.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Makar caused way more damage against than Zadorov last game. Makar was the one who twice on one shift tried to stickhandle through the he entire Washington team on their blue line in a 4-0 lead which lead to odd man rushes back the other way.

Zadorov spent a lot of the game covering for Makar. Zadorov scored a massive goal.

I don’t love Zadorov as much as some people on here, but I 100% completely disagree with his treatment in this situation.

Reactions: McMetal

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Zadorov has been good this season IMO, no idea why he'd be scratched. Is there anything Ryan Graves does that Z doesn't?

Also, I think I'd have taken Wilson out of the lineup. I like Nichuskin in that 4th line role, it's worked surprisingly well and he's good in front of net on PP2. Wilson has really done nothing since he's been in the line-up. His deaths are such a distraction too.

Reactions: Bender

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can somebody tell me what Zadorov did? I didn’t understand why he was benched last game and I certainly don’t understand why he’s a scratch today. In fact I thought he was really good against Washington.

Z has a stint every year where he plays awful and gets scratched. I’m not surprised it’s come again, except I don’t know what he’s done to earn it this time.

His play in the 2nd resulting in 2 goals and the Caps getting back into the game. The first goal was a giveaway and ill advised play by Rantanen, but Z made a bad read. He took off for a breakout on a lane that was covered and left a guy behind him. More on Rants, but Z should have played back and reset instead of breaking out. On Oshie's goal Z kept man pressure instead of controlling his zone and passing off Kuznetsov which allowed Oshie to be wide open. He made a couple bad reads that changed the momentum of the game. Not that I agree with Z being benched over Barbie... but many coaches would pull their hair out after those plays. Simple and safe hockey is what coaches want up 4-0 and 4-1.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Usually when Bednar gets mad at Z it's because of effort issues. He must've seen something he didn't like. Guess we'll see. I'm still a big fan of Z but sometimes he needs to be put on a short leash.

He obviously knows more than us, but I think outside 1 or 2 bad plays last game he's been pretty good so far. Particularly for early season Z.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Tyson Jost can play a glaringly atrocious 60minutes and be promoted the next game.

Nikita Zadorov can say "Hi" instead of "Hello" to Bednar and be scratched the next game.

Reactions: JLo217

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I personally don't think that Zadorov's benching is unwarranted. It's not really a matter of what he is bringing to the ice - he has been somewhat more effective than Barberio and Graves in tougher minutes IMO - but he is (as usual) performing well below what he can do due to what I see as mindset/effort issues. In particular, I agree with @henchman24 that his 2nd period decision-making against the Caps contributed significantly to their goals.

Z is still this team's physical X-factor and I don't think that the benching goes against that idea. Bednar has been able to get him going historically. I also think that Cole should help in stabilizing Makar in the short-term although I do like the Z-Makar eventual pairing.

I also disagree with the notion that a winning team should refrain from making any changes at all, especially this early on. Things are certainly going well but it's a good time to experiment so that they could be even better.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I’m fine with Barberio in the line up every few games, but benching Zadorov seems questionable.

Graves, Barberio, and a clearly slower Ian Cole seems like a recipe for a shooting gallery for the Pens.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Tyson Jost can play a glaringly atrocious 60minutes and be promoted the next game.

Nikita Zadorov can say "Hi" instead of "Hello" to Bednar and be scratched the next game.

But Jost is never one to slack. Say what you will about him but he's always works hard. Benching him wouldn't be a good motivational tactic--his shortcomings aren't the result of laziness.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
But Jost is never one to slack. Say what you will about him but he's always works hard. Benching him wouldn't be a good motivational tactic--his shortcomings aren't the result of laziness.

But scratching him lets him see the game from a different vantage point, and he could learn from watching others make the right choices in various situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad