Confirmed with Link: [COL / NYR] Chris Bigras Traded For Ryan Graves

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What do you think Elliott's problem was? His issues seem very similar to Bigras. I thought he was going to be the better of the two between him and Barrie.

They're not quite the same players, but they have similar issues IMO. Barrie has them as well. He still displays a fear of contact and rushes passes because of it. Difference for Barrie though is it finally sunk in after Roy emphasized on his last demotion that he needed to get the puck and go. Not dilly dally or over think plays.

Someone like Girard can think his way out of the D zone. while guys like Elliott and Barrie can't. Debatable whether Bigras can. I think he has the smarts to play that style, but the problem is he never really calmed down in the NHL. He always looked apprehensive to me.

A lot of that had to do with the concussion, but I think it might also be due in part to his natural demeanor. It's why Grigo didn't really work out either. Really smart players, but just a little too much of a gentle soul for the NHL. You got to battle in the NHL. Not just physically, but mentally through the ups and downs, and through your mistakes, and injuries. Bigras and Elliot struggled with that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bigras was good in junior but he got hurt... after that he was afraid to get hit and it affected his play.... and he got hurt again... so he was even more afraid to get hit... and he got hurt even more seriously.

I don't know if he's super fragile or it's pure bad luck but I don't see how he'll get out of there TBH. Probably a serious case for a sport psychologist at this point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bigras was good in junior but he got hurt... after that he was afraid to get hit and it affected his play.... and he got hurt again... so he was even more afraid to get hit... and he got hurt even more seriously.

I don't know if he's super fragile or it's pure bad luck but I don't see how he'll get out of there TBH. Probably a serious case for a sport psychologist at this point.
I don't think it was a concussion in juniors though, if I remember it was a wrist/ankle injury?

I think the lesson to be learned here is ...

...get more draft picks
Lightning have had less draft picks, but more hits. Scouting is more important than more draft picks. If you want to see more draft picks, go see the Blackhawks and the amount of busts they picked right before their Cup runs.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wasnt Kucherov a 2nd rounder?

Yup. I remember Feaster/Calgary telling a story of they were debating which risk to take, Gaudreau or Kucherov? And they went with Gaudreau. But instead of taking two gamble picks they went with the one in Gaudreau, and the safer one in Tyler Wotherspoon, who they took 57th overall. 58th overall was Kucherov, imagine if they said f*** it let's gamble? Damn.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not a fan of Graves at all, I feel like we lost this deal. Regardless of whether Woody was done here or not, you should be able to get better value out of a prospect that still had NHL upside.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Not a fan of Graves at all, I feel like we lost this deal. Regardless of whether Woody was done here or not, you should be able to get better value out of a prospect that still had NHL upside.

He doesn't have nhl upside. Bigras would have cleared waivers.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bigras is a dime a dozen prospects, plenty of other teams have a similar player like him. As for Graves... i'm sure it's just the lighting but damn, it looks like he has plastic surgery:

ryan-graves-2018-48.jpg

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So I would assume Graves goes to San Antonio and Alt stays up with the big club?

Sakic interview last night clarified DMen injuries have depleted their roster and minor moves were for depth.

Alt is a UFA and this is essentially a PTO if he wants to continue his career; he has about 20 games to prove himself. Graves has less potential than Bigras, but might be more NHL ready. A low risk trade to add extra depth, their careers have stalled and they need a change.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Goodbye Bigras. I truly expected you to be 2nd pair D for us for a long time. I hope he finds success in New York.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I heard comparisons to Bouwmeester, which actually made me far less bullish on him (believe me if he had panned out that way I wouldn't have complained, but I've just never been a J-Bo fan). Either way I'd be pretty shocked if he turned into an NHL regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad