Confirmed with Link: [COL / NYR] Chris Bigras Traded For Ryan Graves

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Bigras should be a cautionary story for those who think we can move Barrie because we have a couple of D prospects.
But Barrie was the proof the Avs knew what they were doing when they traded Shattenkirk.

Although I’m sure they were banking more on Elliott, and lucked out that both didn’t completely bust.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
But Barrie was the proof the Avs knew what they were doing when they traded Shattenkirk.
Sherm the Worm had the power of foresight. That's basically cheating.

On a more serious note, they just had dumb luck. And quite frankly if they though someone would be this good out of the guys on the farm they probably pegged Stefan to be it, not Ty.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Bigras has the tools to be good, has the toolbox as well, but you can't play afraid in this league.
That was obviously the issue. Question is if with the right support could he have become comfortable? I think he is the type of guy who needed coaches to give him leeway until he became comfortable because of how he processes the game. Hope the guy keeps working at it because he has the skills and smarts. Just needs to figure out how to compose himself and simplify.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

On a more serious note, they just had dumb luck. And quite frankly if they though someone would be this good out of the guys on the farm they probably pegged Stefan to be it, not Ty.

Yea, the team definitely seemed more high on Elliott than Barrie. Elliott was bigger and smoother as well, just had the same panic tendencies as Bigras.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

You beat my edit apparently, but I was saying literally the exact same thing.

Unless you’ve seen the defenceman in the NHL, you can never bank on how they’ll turn out.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That was obviously the issue. Question is if with the right support could he have become comfortable? I think he is the type of guy who needed coaches to give him leeway until he became comfortable because of how he processes the game. Hope the guy keeps working at it because he has the skills and smarts. Just needs to figure out how to compose himself and simplify.
I don't think his gaffes were caused by fear of making a mistake, but rather out of fear of being run over. Can't coach that IMHO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On the bright side of this, this is a good situation for Graves to fall into and the Avs may have their captain for the Eagles next year. He's a good kid that is a hard worker and never complains. If he gets it together I could see him being a big part of developing Meloche/Makar/Timmins in the future.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I honestly hope that both of these guys have a small "re-set" in their development track and end up having some impact in the NHL down the line.

Change of scenery for change of scenery is always a roll of the dice, one team can come out way better in revisionist history. We'll have to see I guess.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I don't mind this at all, even if Bigras turns it around in NY. He wasn't going to get another bunch of chances to stick here.

No point holding onto a toy if you aren't going to use it.

Reactions: cgf and klozge

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
This one might come back to bite the Avs but I'm glad the Avs were willing to move him for something rather than hold on to him forever like they did with Siemens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad