Confirmed with Link: [COL / NYR] Chris Bigras Traded For Ryan Graves

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I like to think Sakic and the staff desperately scrambled for a trade around 1, just so the streak doesn't end.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I like to think Sakic and the staff desperately scrambled for a trade around 1, just so the streak doesn't end.

Gotta do something or Favebook fans will complain.

But then they'll complain about how Bigras was a future EK-lite or something.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So at the deadline Sakic gets two really big defensive defensemen known for their physicality. Can't say I blame him, while I hope neither is a younger version of Nate Guenin I wouldn't mind this team dictating the physical pace a little more, especially in the defensive zone.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Meh. I knew the writing was on the wall for Bigras but I'm still not overly happy about it just because I think he turns it around. He's too smart and skilled not to.

Good luck.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Best of luck to Bigras. I hope he gets it together and reaches his potential with the Rangers. Also, I was very wrong about him being better than Zadorov.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Unless Bigras figures out how to not play terrified of another human being coming his way, he will never succeed at the NHL level. Hope he has success in NY, seems like a fun guy and good locker room guy.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Wished we would have gotten a 5th-rounder along with Graves because his development curve looks ugly but I'm glad Bigras gets another chance to make it to the big league.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not overtly physical, and has already missed major time due to injury his first two seasons in the pros. I've also read (on here) that his work ethic is not the best. Maybe he proves everyone wrong later on, but I'm okay with the Avs moving on.

What's scary is that not that long ago he was Colorado's best D prospect.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Bigras was the ultimate bamboozle. I remember thinking he looked great, very calm, should be something! And then he got injured, might have died and no look at him. Traded for Ryan graves.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Not overtly physical, and has already missed major time due to injury his first two seasons in the pros. I've also read (on here) that his work ethic is not the best. Maybe he proves everyone wrong later on, but I'm okay with the Avs moving on.

What's scary is that not that long ago he was Colorado's best D prospect.
If that's true I'm glad Avs got rid of him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers fan here.

I'd be surprised if Graves isn't an NHL'er. I think you guys got a good deal here. I think he should've been on our NHL team all season. Not a fan of this move, although I don't know much about Bigras.

Graves has been better than smaller, more shifty players like DeAngelo, Pionk, Gilmour that we've given games. It seemed obvious when he wasn't getting called up that the team didn't think he was a fit for the organization. This wasn't because he wasn't ready for an NHL call up in my opinion, it seemed more like they just didn't like his style.

Graves is a pretty talented defenseman. I think he could be a middle pairing guy. Good size, fine skater, big shot, he can pass the puck and has some offensive instincts, and he's developed his defensive game the last year or two. To make a comparison that you guys will understand, he's kind of like Nick Holden but with a reasonable amount more ability in the offensive zone. Not the greatest hockey IQ, but otherwise he has decent hockey ability. He's not one of these defenseman where you look at his size, and attach the word plug. There's actual hockey talent there, and he's NHL ready.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The curse of the Avs 2nd Round defender continues (Bigras, Elliott, Gaunce, Cohen, Williams). But enough ancient history.

I still think Bigras can be an NHL defender; he has the body of Ron Hainsey. He just could never put it all together here.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The curse of the Avs 2nd Round defender continues (Bigras, Elliott, Gaunce, Cohen, Williams). But enough ancient history.

I still think Bigras can be an NHL defender; he has the body of Ron Hainsey. He just could never put it all together here.

Dude don’t jinx Timmins

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Bigras should be a cautionary story for those who think we can move Barrie because we have a couple of D prospects.
Came here to post this... timmins could easily be Bigras 2.0.

Also shocked Siemens lasted longer than Bigras.

Won't be shocked if he turns it around in NY.

Reactions: Pure

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So at the deadline Sakic gets two really big defensive defensemen known for their physicality. Can't say I blame him, while I hope neither is a younger version of Nate Guenin I wouldn't mind this team dictating the physical pace a little more, especially in the defensive zone.

The thing I like even with (Alt?) is that skating is mentioned as a strength for both along with the size. We've seen how valuable Duncan can be when hes keeping it simple to go along with that skating and reach.

Hopefully none of the three become as erratic and over confident as Nemeth or Holden have. We really could use one or even two guys we could f***ing rely on for the bottom pair and #7 roles. Guys you know what you're going to get when you put them in the lineup.

Hopefully Ctrl + Alt + Delete isn't the next scrub defender joke around here.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m surprised we ended up holding onto Siemens longer than Bigras. Oh wel, at least the streak continues.

Unfortunately, that may have more to do with Duncan's value around the league, than the Avs willingness to keep him. All defenseman in the NHL now need have a certain level of smarts and puck handling ability to move the puck quickly out of harms way. Some older defenseman can get away with lower ability in this regard based on their experience, but young defenseman don't have that same leeway.

Duncan's looked good the last couple games, but that probably wasn't enough to entice teams into doing a prospect swap for him. Bigras issues are mental, and he may never go over them, but he does have the puck skills, and mobility to play in the NHL.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Bigras never learned to use his skating to get out of big collisions. He's bigger and stronger than a guy like Girard, but had a tendency to go sitting duck mode once he touched the puck.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Bigras never learned to use his skating to get out of big collisions. He's bigger and stronger than a guy like Girard, but had a tendency to go sitting duck mode once he touched the puck.

It's weird since Bigras is an absolutely beautiful skater. Just didn't do anything with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad