Confirmed with Link: [COL/NSH] Cody McLeod for Felix Girard

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sakic doesn't have to say it, but it's obvious he didn't want to have McLeod as the 12th-13th forward on Avs next year. Not ticking enough boxes for what they need.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sakic:

"We still had to come up with a deal. Before I called David, I wanted to make sure this is what Cody wanted to do. . . I respect Cody for what he’s done. I played with him. He’s nothing but class. After all the work he’s put in for the Avalanche, I asked Cody what he wanted to do. I was going to treat him like basically he had a no-move (clause). I gave him the opportunity, I told him it was Nashville. I asked him if that was something he wanted to do. We know where we are in the standings, and he wanted a chance to go to a contender and fight for the playoffs.

“We moved him as, first of all, a favor to him and give him an opportunity. And he welcomed it. I know it was probably a hard decision for him, but I think hockey-wise, where he is in his career, he wants a chance. This is all respect for Cody
.â€

Great comments from Joe. :clap:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
He had a few moments here and there but the majority of his time here he was useless. Those Sakic comments make me shake my head, yeah respect is nice but really a NMC for a non NHLer?

Glad he's gone.

This is pretty shallow, IMO. The dude played hard for us for over 10 years getting his face punched in. I think he deserves more than a "non NHLer".

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also of note, Girard was voted best defensive forward in the Q two years in a row. His draft year and the year after.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He had a few moments here and there but the majority of his time here he was useless. Those Sakic comments make me shake my head, yeah respect is nice but really a NMC for a non NHLer?

Glad he's gone.

How else would they treat him? It's not like the entire hockey world was knocking down Sakic's door begging for Cody McLeod while offering major assets and Sakic was like "uhh well I better make sure Cody is okay with this first". If he was being moved it wasn't going to be for any notable assets and thye would have to retain so much salary that it doesn't save the Avalanche any money. Moving him does absolutely nothing for the Avalanche so why not check with Cody and make sure he's ok with it first?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
How else would they treat him? It's not like the entire hockey world was knocking down Sakic's door begging for Cody McLeod while offering major assets and Sakic was like "uhh well I better make sure Cody is okay with this first". If he was being moved it wasn't going to be for any notable assets and thye would have to retain so much salary that it doesn't save the Avalanche any money. Moving him does absolutely nothing for the Avalanche so why not check with Cody and make sure he's ok with it first?

Agreed.

It would seem that some people around here (and I'm sure I've been guilty of this in the past) don't understand the concept of "lip service". Joe's comments really shouldn't taken as anything other than him extending a show of respect towards someone who was our longest tenured player, and a general fan-favorite as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Glad he's gone.

No, he let a guy who's sacrificed more of himself for the team than any other player for the last ten years, pick where he wanted to play and try to win a cup with.

He's closing in on 700 NHL games, has over 100 points, 139 NHL fights, and been an NHL regular under four NHL coaches before this year, and an assistant captain under two.

You know how much better of a NHL career he's had than most everyone that's ever even attempted it?

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
No, he let a guy who's sacrificed more of himself for the team than any other player for the last ten years, pick where he wanted to play and try to win a cup with.

He's closing in on 700 NHL games, has over 100 points, and been an NHL regular under four NHL coaches before this year, and an assistant captain under two.

You know how much better of a NHL career he's had than most everyone that's ever even attempted it?

Not to mention how hard he had to work to even get a shot with his background before being on the Avs.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Look I hate Sakic more than the next guy but what else are you supposed to say? It's PR either way and we're pretty luck a team took him in the first place and gets the sale started. You'd be a complete ****** to trash a guy who's been on the team for so long no matter how bad he was.

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
When he was called up, the Avs had a team that shied away from the physical game. He was a breath of fresh air at that time and did one hell of a job on the 4th line for many years. I'm glad he is getting a shot to play in the playoffs this year.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Good luck to Cody. Sucks to see a guy, and the only guy that will ever stick up for a teammate go but this is for the better

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't agree with letting the players decide these things and I think they shouldn't have done it with Hejda.

But with McLeod, where he has very little on-ice value, is signed beyond this season and has been a warrior for the team it doesn't cost anything. Especially as Sakic should have been certain McLeod wanted to be traded before asking him.

It's a win win win. Sakic get to move a player he wants to move, McLeod gets to play for a team that has a chance to make the playoffs and it can be done in such a respectful manner everyone looks good.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
139 fights for the Avalanche according to hockeyfights.

That's not even including his 41 fights in the minors, and 57 in junior.

Can you imagine not only the physical but the mental toughness it takes to get in that many fights, and have that be your life for 15 years? The man gave everything for this team.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
He was never one of my favorite players but I always hate to see older players go. Glad I got to see his last fight last night and glad he wanted to give the home crowd one last go even though they had no idea what was going on.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Good question...one could make a case for any of these players:

Iginla
Mitchell
Rene Bourque
Tyutin
Gelinas
Wiercioch
Duchene
Landeskog
Beauchemin (I still don't think he's going to be traded, but I guess we'll have to see...)

For the record, I don't think ALL of those players are getting traded, I personally think Iginla will have a new home to finish off the year, as well as Tyutin, the other rentals I think end up staying.

Kind of sad when the situation is broken down like this.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So who gets called up? Or do we run with 22 for a few days?

I dont think anyone, this is pretty much the reaction to the Nieto move. They dont want to scratch two Fs a night. The Avs like rolling with 22, they've done it most of the year.

I think they will have to retain on Iggy. Every penny matters to certain contenders.

Even if the money is a wash it's better sending him elsewhere and getting a proper AHL player back vs having to send him down.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I dont think anyone, this is pretty much the reaction to the Nieto move. They dont want to scratch two Fs a night. The Avs like rolling with 22, they've done it most of the year.

I think they will have to retain on Iggy. Every penny matters to certain contenders.

Even if the money is a wash it's better sending him elsewhere and getting a proper AHL player back vs having to send him down.

Yeah I posted this before the article was written. Sakic said they'll roll with 22 until EJ is healthy.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Wow McLeod traded. Didn't expect this this soon. Looks like this might just be the start of some real changes. Cody was done but you have to respect all he gave to the organization. Happy I got to witness his last fight last night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad