Confirmed with Link: [COL/NSH] Cody McLeod for Felix Girard

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I honestly can't remember McLeod losing a fight. On the other hand I can't really think of many he won, either, lol.

My only complaint was that it seemed like he would pick the wrong time to fight, he fought a lot of times when we had the momentum. It used to drive be up a wall.

Still have a lot of respect for the guy, though.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
McLeod was not a good fighter, he was brave but nobody feared him. He was very loyal to the Avs but I think the Avs were too loyal to him.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I honestly can't remember McLeod losing a fight. On the other hand I can't really think of many he won, either, lol.

My only complaint was that it seemed like he would pick the wrong time to fight, he fought a lot of times when we had the momentum. It used to drive be up a wall.

Still have a lot of respect for the guy, though.
McLeod is one of the best in the league in tying up and making fights hugfests. It's served him pretty well, I can't think of a single time he's been injured or really hurt in a fight.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You guys are a trippin. Cody is a very good fighter, and he's won many fights. He's Bryan Boyle a couple times (including this year) who's 5" taller and outweighs him by 40lbs. He's beat Paul Gaustad a couple times who's 3" taller and 15 lbs heavier. He beats Thornburn all the time who's a legit tough guy and a little bigger than Cody.

He got the better of Jarome Iginla tonight. You think that's easy? Iggy's one of the toughest guys in history, and we've seen that he hasn't lost it at all.

Cody started off not that great because he didn't have the balance to stay on his feet, and keep his upper body upright enough to tie guys up, and throw punches. He was just too wild, and didn't know enough tricks to be a "smart" fighter.

He learned how to be a "smart fighter" while Lappy was here, and just like the PK, he worked at it, and worked at it, and trained himself to do it.

He's easily one of the best fighters in the league now, and as evidenced by the fact that he just beat one of the toughest guys ever, now that he's a vet, he'd be able to stand toe to toe with some of the tougher guys from the previous generation when he was breaking in as a youngster.

Last edited:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Man, who is going to have that fight and passion now? Maybe we can bring back The Sheriff?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Now that the dust has settled and I no longer have to kid on to myself that I have other things to do before writing this, I'd like to recall something I posted while absolutely hammered a few hours into the new year:

Can I just say something here

It appears Cody McLeod has become something of a punchline on this board

He contributes a ****load more than 90% of the players on this team over the past 5~ years - by virtue of doing things like moving around and acknowledging the physical existence of the other team. He's not any good, and he should never have been given an A, but he tries. Which is a lot more than a lot of other Avalanche players have been able to say over the years.

McLeod is 4th all time in games played the Avalanche and, given the apparently inevitable coming trades of Duchene and Landeskog, is liable to stay there for some time to come. I think the fact that he broke into the team in 08-09 and leaves it in 16-17 says a lot. He joined a clown show and he leaves one. I should say I'm somewhat disappointed he's gone to a perennial middling non-entity in Nashville. I don't think he'll win anything there but maybe he'll prove me wrong. Based on his first appearance for them he certainly seems capable of providing some sort of inspiration for his new teammates.

For a team that's spent years treating its 4th liners and role players like dirt I'm quite surprised at the criticism aimed at McLeod and Sakic after this trade. For the sort of game McLeod played during his Avalanche career I'm even more surprised at the apparent contempt he's held in by so many on here. He showed more pride and effort for his, our, team than a lot of players we've been forced to suffer over the years. I know he's been treated well by the team, his last contract and alternate captaincy in particular but this isn't something which should be held against him. For the most part, his play warranted that sort of reward.

I think that over the course of his whole Avalanche career there isn't any doubt that McLeod's positive contributions outweigh any negative ones. Whether it's individual moments like the octopus against Detroit (leaving aside the fact that we must have been on the end of a battering in that game since we got hammered in the series) or a career mostly spent being punched in the face in addition to being one of the few who played over his time with any pride there's few who sacrificed as much for the sake of the team as McLeod did.

I don't necessarily think that 4th liners should be heralded as great team legends, especially if their time on their team didn't produce any legitimate success. I also think the most telling part of this trade isn't that the longest tenured player is gone or that the one player symbolic for the whole post-2008 decline of this team is gone but it's what someone said earlier in this thread, that a 4th liner who can't move very well (any more) and who's only really good for fighting is gone. With the amount of false dawns we've seen over the years I'm not going to say that this trade signals any sort of meaningful change in direction of the way the team is run but if we end up with a bottom six full of people who can play hockey, great.

If everybody who played for the Avalanche did so with as much pride and effort as McLeod did we wouldn't be where we are right now. Good luck to him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Agreed Ceremony. Super post!

People often use Duchene "bleeding the burgundy and blue" as a reason he is more important than Landy or ROR or Stastny or whoever, but if anyone in the last few years really did give everything he had and could for the Avs it was McLeod. He just wasn't blessed with the skills of a star.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Now that the dust has settled and I no longer have to kid on to myself that I have other things to do before writing this, I'd like to recall something I posted while absolutely hammered a few hours into the new year:

McLeod is 4th all time in games played the Avalanche and, given the apparently inevitable coming trades of Duchene and Landeskog, is liable to stay there for some time to come. I think the fact that he broke into the team in 08-09 and leaves it in 16-17 says a lot. He joined a clown show and he leaves one. I should say I'm somewhat disappointed he's gone to a perennial middling non-entity in Nashville. I don't think he'll win anything there but maybe he'll prove me wrong. Based on his first appearance for them he certainly seems capable of providing some sort of inspiration for his new teammates.

For a team that's spent years treating its 4th liners and role players like dirt I'm quite surprised at the criticism aimed at McLeod and Sakic after this trade. For the sort of game McLeod played during his Avalanche career I'm even more surprised at the apparent contempt he's held in by so many on here. He showed more pride and effort for his, our, team than a lot of players we've been forced to suffer over the years. I know he's been treated well by the team, his last contract and alternate captaincy in particular but this isn't something which should be held against him. For the most part, his play warranted that sort of reward.

I think that over the course of his whole Avalanche career there isn't any doubt that McLeod's positive contributions outweigh any negative ones. Whether it's individual moments like the octopus against Detroit (leaving aside the fact that we must have been on the end of a battering in that game since we got hammered in the series) or a career mostly spent being punched in the face in addition to being one of the few who played over his time with any pride there's few who sacrificed as much for the sake of the team as McLeod did.

I don't necessarily think that 4th liners should be heralded as great team legends, especially if their time on their team didn't produce any legitimate success. I also think the most telling part of this trade isn't that the longest tenured player is gone or that the one player symbolic for the whole post-2008 decline of this team is gone but it's what someone said earlier in this thread, that a 4th liner who can't move very well (any more) and who's only really good for fighting is gone. With the amount of false dawns we've seen over the years I'm not going to say that this trade signals any sort of meaningful change in direction of the way the team is run but if we end up with a bottom six full of people who can play hockey, great.

If everybody who played for the Avalanche did so with as much pride and effort as McLeod did we wouldn't be where we are right now. Good luck to him.

10/10. The bolded in particular...

giphy.gif

Dammit now I need a McLeod jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->