Confirmed with Link: [COL/NSH] Cody McLeod for Felix Girard

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Let me get this straight.

We are on the hook for 532k for next year but if we had put Cody in the AHL we would only would have had at hit of 380k (1.33M-950k).

That's a meh deal if I ever saw one just to honor a guy.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

We are on the hook for 532k for next year but if we had put Cody in the AHL we would only would have had at hit of 380k (1.33M-950k).

150k difference for a guy that's given what he has to the Avs? I think Highlander has earned that..

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
POW!!!! Right in the kisser!

C2EKRBGVQAEx87V.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

You think the Avs are gonna be any where near $152k of the cap next year?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm happy to see they shipped him off to a playoff contender, always liked the guy and he deserved much better than the garbage teams he had to play his heart and soul out for.

Thanks for your service, Highlander.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Are you arguing over 150k of cap space next year that we won't even need? Let's just say that it's a very small price to pay for 10 years of loyalty and it won't affect the team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Joe just said he got a call from Cody's agent on the way to the game last night, saying they'd be ok with going to Nashville. That means he did know it was his last game.

Probably pending that he didn't break his hand or something during the game.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Are you arguing over 150k of cap space next year that we won't even need? Let's just say that it's a very small price to pay for 10 years of loyalty and it won't affect the team.

Just saying it's a meh deal.

Just don't understand why it had to be MORE than 'fully buriable'' for NSH.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For the few Av fans taking shots at Cody, him knowing he was about to be traded, and seeking out a fight and playing a hard nosed final game should tell you something.

He cares more about the Avalanche and Avalanche fans, than he does risking a last minute injury preventing a trade, and what could be his last chance at winning a Stanley Cup.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Good move, even with the retention and minimal return. The Avs need to get younger and make many changes to the roster. Cody would probably be worse next year as well.

Interesting to see how he does in Nashville.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The AHL is also not a garbage dump. If we want real development down there it's not just the place to throw vets away. Trading McLeod for a player who is intended to help at that level is a better use of the contract slot.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Mixed feelings on this one.

I've loved the Highlander since his first camp. He's played on some terrible AVs teams but I've never accused him of dogging it. He's given an incredible amount of work ethic and heart to this team and on the few occasions he scores a goal, man the sheer joy on his face is usually only matched by those on the face of his team-mates. It's a shame his skills have always been limited but to have had this long of an NHL career after being undrafted is pretty special. If you could have his drive and heart placed in players like Duchene, Landy, Barrie and MacKinnon this team wouldn't be the mess it is.

Anyways, I wish him the best of luck in Nashville. Going to be pretty easy to adopt the Preds as my western conference team to cheer for during the playoffs this year.

Also, Joe did the right thing here. I don't get some of the whining that goes on around here...retention of salary that will not in any way impact the team next season while adding what appears to be a fairly solid 3rd line center to stabilize the AHL club in order to give your longest tenured player a chance to fight for the playoffs and maybe even go on a run...Good stuff. I would question the move only if the salary was going to be an issue or if it was likely that someone would actually give up a true asset for McLeod..which at this point doesn't seem likely.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Sad to see him go but it was time to make a change and this gives Cody a shot at a cup before he's done. Also good on Sakic for taking care of him like that, he deserves it for what he did for this team for 10 years.

Good luck in Nashville Cody.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Haha, sounds like McLeod's fallback options to hockey were farmer, truck driver, or miner. :laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The AHL is also not a garbage dump. If we want real development down there it's not just the place to throw vets away. Trading McLeod for a player who is intended to help at that level is a better use of the contract slot.

That's not true. Leadership like that is major in the A. The Calder cup champs last year had Bret Gallant. The champs the year before had Bissonette. Stortini has been a captain down there for years. McLeod brings more as a hockey player than any of those guys ever had and has worn a letter on his chest in the NHL. He would be a terrific fourth line player for the rampage.

In saying that I'm glad he got his wish and was moved to Nashville. I'm completely okay with this move. But to say the AHL isn't a place for McLeod just isn't true. It's great that he continues to keep playing in the NHL but if he ever accepts a role to go the the AHL that'll be great for the team getting him. He's not Bordeleau bad.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cody drops an offer of coming back in a couple years and doing radio with Mos. Sign me up. :thumbu:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
While this trade obviously isn't significant at all in terms of value, I do think it's a pretty significant trade for one reason.

We just traded the longest tenured Av player on the team by a significant margin. That's a pretty damn strong message to the players and to the fans that this season has been looked at as a complete failure and that major changes are coming.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So who is our designated enforcer now?

maxresdefault.jpg

LOL I zoomed into look at the faces of the Jets fans being entertained by Ehlers beating up Barrie and realized the guy in the stands in the stadium series jersey directly above Trouba's head is Adam Foote's clone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->