Confirmed with Link: [COL/NSH] Cody McLeod for Felix Girard

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Cody drops an offer of coming back in a couple years and doing radio with Mos. Sign me up. :thumbu:

Even better... give him and Rycroft the desk. Keefe can just try to keep it from going completely off the rails. :nod:

I would love to get Haynes off the air. I've grown used to him, and no longer loathe him but he allows himself and Peter to go off on too many large tangents. It's the role of the play-by-play guy to keep the focus on the game at hand.

The biggest problem with Cody doing TV work is that folks using Center-Ice and NHL.tv are already complaining about how far behind those feeds lag...when you have to add in another 30-second delay in order to bleep out certain words Cody uses...:laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Beauchemin just tweeted out something about going to miss McLeod. I almost replied with "You're next #packyour**** " but figured that's too harsh lol

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Beauchemin just tweeted out something about going to miss McLeod. I almost replied with "You're next #packyour**** " but figured that's too harsh lol

He'd just respond with

giphy.gif

#NMC

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Anybody have access to a recording/transcript of what was said by Sakic and Cody? I wasn't able to listen...

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Wait. Stop.

Did the Colorado Avalanche just acquire a player (a forward no less) whose specialty is defensive play?

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So who is our designated enforcer now?

Everyone except Iggy is a pretty far cry from Cody's 139 NHL fights. If they move him and Landy, and don't bring back Bourque, this team is gonna be Downie soft, and I don't mean Steve.

It's gonna be an injury prone EJ and a 37 year old Beauchemin (if he's still here) that have any sort of pugilist skills.

NHL Fights:

Iginla - 78
Beauchemin - 15
EJ - 9
Landy - 8
R Bourque - 8
Tyutin - 5
Martinsen - 4
Comeau - 3
Duchene - 2
MacKinnon - 2
Zadorov - 2
Colborne - 2
Mitchell - 2
Wiercioch - 2
Barrie - 1

Can't believe friggin Comeau only has three fights. Hasn't fought since 13-14 either. What role does he think he's in?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is pretty shallow, IMO. The dude played hard for us for over 10 years getting his face punched in. I think he deserves more than a "non NHLer".

It probably is. However, the avs have treated him like gold for no real reason.

How else would they treat him? It's not like the entire hockey world was knocking down Sakic's door begging for Cody McLeod while offering major assets and Sakic was like "uhh well I better make sure Cody is okay with this first". If he was being moved it wasn't going to be for any notable assets and thye would have to retain so much salary that it doesn't save the Avalanche any money. Moving him does absolutely nothing for the Avalanche so why not check with Cody and make sure he's ok with it first?

...Because he's on a contract for another year and he serves no purpose on the NHL level. SO, it's best to get rid of him.

No, he let a guy who's sacrificed more of himself for the team than any other player for the last ten years, pick where he wanted to play and try to win a cup with.

He's closing in on 700 NHL games, has over 100 points, 139 NHL fights, and been an NHL regular under four NHL coaches before this year, and an assistant captain under two.

You know how much better of a NHL career he's had than most everyone that's ever even attempted it?

He's talent level and what he brings to the table are not at an NHL level. Only reason he lasted this long is because the avs are incompetent. The A is a symbol of that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wait. Stop.

Did the Colorado Avalanche just acquire a player (a forward no less) whose specialty is defensive play?

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

I think the Colorado Avalanche acquired a player who will never play for the Colorado Avalanche. :D

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Bittersweet. Hate to see him go. Was lucky enough to be in attendance for his 1st career goal (and almost went to the game he would have scored his last).

But I'm an Avs fan so it feels good to finally move on.

Now, bring on Greer and never send him back.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's not true. Leadership like that is major in the A. The Calder cup champs last year had Bret Gallant. The champs the year before had Bissonette. Stortini has been a captain down there for years. McLeod brings more as a hockey player than any of those guys ever had and has worn a letter on his chest in the NHL. He would be a terrific fourth line player for the rampage.

In saying that I'm glad he got his wish and was moved to Nashville. I'm completely okay with this move. But to say the AHL isn't a place for McLeod just isn't true. It's great that he continues to keep playing in the NHL but if he ever accepts a role to go the the AHL that'll be great for the team getting him. He's not Bordeleau bad.

Of course the AHL needs vets but last year was example A of what happens when vets know they are there just as a dump off, it's a terrible environment. Good for the guys who can accept it and embrace a new role but a guy who has been in the NHL for 10 years I don't think it's an automatic.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Of course the AHL needs vets but last year was example A of what happens when vets know they are there just as a dump off, it's a terrible environment. Good for the guys who can accept it and embrace a new role but a guy who has been in the NHL for 10 years I don't think it's an automatic.

I definitely agree with that. A guy like Gormley who has thrown it in is not a good guy tknhave down there. I just assume with the way he's carried himself and gave it his al throughout his entire career that McLeod would continue to be that guy in the AHL if it came to that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Happy for McLeod, although a playoff spot isn't a given with how Nashville has played, let alone a cup run.

Favourite moment will forever be him grabbing the octopus. Guy was fearless and bled for this team, even if he isn't much of an NHL player anymore.

I just really hope Sakic doesn't do any more favours to any vets. For McLeod, it's understandable. Guy has been here for a decade, wore a letter and is loved by the fans in Denver.

But if he starts "respecting" vets like Tyutin/Bourque/Mitchell by asking if they'd like to stay... that'd anger me. Obviously he has to ask Iginla/Beauchemin, but the vets who don't have NMC's/NTC's need to be moved. Hopefully there are teams out there who will value the Tyutin's, Bourque's, and Mitchell's of the world and be willing to give up picks in the 4-7 round range

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Getting out of the last year on his contract is value enough.

More Please.

Agreed!

Good luck to Cody, maybe a chance of scenery will give him a boost...

Happy for McLeod, although a playoff spot isn't a given with how Nashville has played, let alone a cup run.

Favourite moment will forever be him grabbing the octopus. Guy was fearless and bled for this team, even if he isn't much of an NHL player anymore.

I just really hope Sakic doesn't do any more favours to any vets. For McLeod, it's understandable. Guy has been here for a decade, wore a letter and is loved by the fans in Denver.

But if he starts "respecting" vets like Tyutin/Bourque/Mitchell by asking if they'd like to stay... that'd anger me. Obviously he has to ask Iginla/Beauchemin, but the vets who don't have NMC's/NTC's need to be moved. Hopefully there are teams out there who will value the Tyutin's, Bourque's, and Mitchell's of the world and be willing to give up picks in the 4-7 round range

I doubt it. The guys that don't have no-moves will be traded straight-out and the guys that do, Sakic will negotiate deals and then go to these guys "I've got a trade on the table with XXX, do you want to go there?" type of thing.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I know everyone loves Mcleod, I acknowledge his effort and (limited) contribution, I am a big fan of enforcers...

but that being said, I never really liked Mcleod. not sad a little bit with his departure. mostly because in my memory I have the picture of way too many fights where he not only lost, but got completely ragdolled and embarassed by his opponent. there was a time he was basically the biggest punching bag of the whole league. and I'm not even complaining about the (wrong) timing of most of his fights. or the staged ones.

now, I hope that the guy coming in can help the Rampage and be more useful for this org than Mcleod had been lately. oh and Bednar, plz, give Mcleod's five minutes of ice time to Nieto or someone who cares, not some Colborne/Grigorenko.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think this will be good for the Avs because it sends a signal to the young core that it's their turn to lead the team. No more relying on vets to do it for you. Cody will be missed in that locker room, but hopefully the young guys will take the opportunity to step up and fill the void.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I doubt it. The guys that don't have no-moves will be traded straight-out and the guys that do, Sakic will negotiate deals and then go to these guys "I've got a trade on the table with XXX, do you want to go there?" type of thing.

There's already a precedent for Sakic doing such thing as he asked Jan Hejda if he'd prefer to stay. Hejda says yes, Sakic doesn't move him.

Granted, Hejda was here for 4 seasons but that is hardly a tenure worthy of asking someone who doesn't have a NMC/NTC if they'd like to stay or not.

I don't know. I am not labelling Sakic as anything, but if I was to take a guess at the type of GM he is, I'd venture to say he's more of a player's GM in the sense that he was a player for a long time in the NHL, he understands the business aspect, and I'm sure he wants to relate to the players as much as possible by being as respectful towards them as possible.

Nothing wrong with that, just wouldn't make for good business imo.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think this will be good for the Avs because it sends a signal to the young core that it's their turn to lead the team. No more relying on vets to do it for you. Cody will be missed in that locker room, but hopefully the young guys will take the opportunity to step up and fill the void.

Agreed. I think the Avs made a mistake importing guys to wear the "A" as it is, but it is definitely time for the core to take on full ownership of those aspects of the team.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know everyone loves Mcleod, I acknowledge his effort and (limited) contribution, I am a big fan of enforcers...

but that being said, I never really liked Mcleod. not sad a little bit with his departure. mostly because in my memory I have the picture of way too many fights where he not only lost, but got completely ragdolled and embarassed by his opponent. there was a time he was basically the biggest punching bag of the whole league. and I'm not even complaining about the (wrong) timing of most of his fights. or the staged ones.

now, I hope that the guy coming in can help the Rampage and be more useful for this org than Mcleod had been lately. oh and Bednar, plz, give Mcleod's five minutes of ice time to Nieto or someone who cares, not some Colborne/Grigorenko.

1. Not everyone loved McLeod. You even admit as much when you said you never liked him.
2. You must not have seen him fight in the last half dozen or so years...because he only got "rag-dolled" early on in his career. Lappy really helped him understand how to battle. Because Cody usually fought bigger men, he couldn't go toe-to-toe...it was more of a wresting match. He learned how to handle that from Lappy and ended up much better than being "rag-dolled" around.
3. What the hell are you on about with asking the coach to give McLeod's minutes to someone who cares? There is not a single player who wants those minutes. That is one of the biggest problems with this team. It really doesn't seem like anybody wants to demand their time on ice by their play. They are all too content simply taking their shifts.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
1. Not everyone loved McLeod. You even admit as much when you said you never liked him.
2. You must not have seen him fight in the last half dozen or so years...because he only got "rag-dolled" early on in his career. Lappy really helped him understand how to battle. Because Cody usually fought bigger men, he couldn't go toe-to-toe...it was more of a wresting match. He learned how to handle that from Lappy and ended up much better than being "rag-dolled" around.
3. What the hell are you on about with asking the coach to give McLeod's minutes to someone who cares? There is not a single player who wants those minutes. That is one of the biggest problems with this team. It really doesn't seem like anybody wants to demand their time on ice by their play. They are all too content simply taking their shifts.

dunno anyone else who's not fond of him though. and he may not have been ragdolled per se, but still lost way more fights than not. he is though and brave enough, I give him that. but as a fighter, he was always below average. don't care if he fought guys bigger than him or not. I could name a dozen of small guys that were complete beasts when throwing it in. damn, look at Tootoo who is still around. and you are being a little too harsh and generalizing on your last statement. there are few players on team showing effort and pride, most on a not so consistent basis (like Soderberg who in some games looks like the player from last season), few but they still exist. or would you say that e.g. Rantanen is just "content simply taking his shifts"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad