Proposal: COL/MTL: S. Girard for B. Gallagher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess we will see in a couple years. The better question would be : Is Price still the goalie he was where he carried the whole Habs team ? That's a big risk considering the asset you're asking while also the salary that comes with him. I don't think the Avs wins without Roy but it was like 20 years ago. Hockey has changed where defense is more refined than it was. Just watch recent Stanley Cup winners with their goalies. The likes of Holtby, Binnington, Murray, Crawford even Niemi won a Stanley Cup. I think most of these goalies are trending down. If we need a goalie I think we can find better without giving the asset it would require to get Price. No worries for the last part, if HF easily hits people's nerve then they should stop checking in.

I have no doubt the Avs are going to try the "alright" goalie in their cup quest. Could work or it could also fail. I think you will have a hard time finding a goalie like Price at $8M AAV moving forward. Of course you can try season after season to find the right fit.

Price keeps getting voted as the top choice by NHLPA for a game 7. I think the players know what they are talking about. And for the record. If Price had the value he had when he was 27, I'd ask for more than Girard and Newhook... especially if we were retaining Price down to $8M.

But hey, try the decent goalie or bargin bin goalie approach first. It might work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His stats say otherwise, so who here is really pretending eh? Speaking of pretending though, more power to ya to keep pretending that anyone would even be interested in him, just don't hold your breath or you might pass out

NHLPA knows his stats too though right? Or do you think they are unaware?

I will allow you the respect to say you want to try the bargin bin goalies instead. However, Your not going to get away with trolling Price's value at $8M. I'm not allowing you to double down so show some respect.

Like I said, if a deal like that ever went down, I bet your tone changes overnight. I remember people trolling Patch saying he sucks in the playoffs and Habs fans said what? "He has no centers to play with". Don't ignore context and circumstance

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Just because this deal is one sided in MTL's favor doesn't mean Gally isn't a top line winger. The guy is outstanding. We can be reasonable without being silly
You have to understand the Avs fans perspective. When dealing with Eastern Canadian teams we are used to getting the filling out of their teeth.

The Nordiques, Roy, Duchene, Kadri :sarcasm:

This off season the Avalanche are a great team with loads of cap space. They don't have to do any teams favors and probably won't even have to be fair dealing.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You have to understand the Avs fans perspective. When dealing with Eastern Canadian teams we are used to getting the filling out of their teeth.

The Nordiques, Roy, Duchene, Kadri :sarcasm:

This off season the Avalanche are a great team with loads of cap space. They don't have to do any teams favors and probably won't even have to be fair dealing.

There is a difference between being silly and stating things that clearly aren't true. I love me some shenanigans but bad takes never help any thread

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There is a difference between being silly and stating things that clearly aren't true. I love me some shenanigans but bad takes never help any thread
This is going to be a silly off season.

Price has a massive contract, runs until he's 38 and which is well past the window of MacKinnon an Makar being due for a raise and is still owed $44M in real dollars after this year in an uncertain economic climate.

latest

Reactions: missionAvs

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I'd ask for a Nino Niederreiter, but I doubt that Carolina's going to be giving him up any time soon, and they've got no need for any D prospects anytime in the next 5-7 years.

As a Canes fan, I would consider offers for NN. Pretty sure he is not in the plans after 20/21, so there is some value in trading now.

The organization could also use another right-shot D (Keane and Honka are the only NHL-possible ones in the system). Another AHL-ready goalie with upside is needed as well. So something like Kaut, Werner, and Helleson might be reasonable.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
NHLPA knows his stats too though right? Or do you think they are unaware?

I will allow you the respect to say you want to try the bargin bin goalies instead. However, Your not going to get away with trolling Price's value at $8M. I'm not allowing you to double down so show some respect.

Like I said, if a deal like that ever went down, I bet your tone changes overnight. I remember people trolling Patch saying he sucks in the playoffs and Habs fans said what? "He has no centers to play with". Don't ignore context and circumstance

You are quite the silly person, but I am impressed you were able to actually write down so much shinanigans all in one place.

I think the thing that I find the most enjoyable is after making fun of you for multiple posts that you could seriously type "I'm not allowing you to". I'm treating you like a 5 year old fam, I don't have any respect or care what you really think. You're just good old fashioned entertainment

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This is going to be a silly off season.

Price has a massive contract, runs until he's 38 and which is well past the window of MacKinnon an Makar being due for a raise and is still owed $44M in real dollars after this year in an uncertain economic climate.

latest

Did you quote the right person here?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Just because this deal is one sided in MTL's favor doesn't mean Gally isn't a top line winger. The guy is outstanding. We can be reasonable without being silly

Is he better than Landeskog or Rantanen? No? Then he's not a top line winger in Colorado. And, with the number of quality forwards we have, it's plausible that he could end up getting beaten out for the 2nd line RW role. This isn't "being silly", it's being realistic. Giving up a 22 year old top pairing LHD for a guy who could very plausibly end up being on our 3rd line is stupid.

Reactions: MrWhiffles

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
COL says no. Girard's contract is too good, and he's still so young.

Isn't Girard's contract the right AAV? He jumped to 34 pts in 70 games with 4 goals. That prorates to 40 pts and 5 goals. Pretty sure that's $5M in today's NHL moving forward? Or do you think he becomes a Rielly type and gets to 50-60 pts or more as he gets older?

Theodore, Lindholm, Slavin, Jones, McAvoy, Chychrun, Ghost all have similar cap hits. 50 guys on D had 30+ pts this past year. Girard was ranked 47th (pts/game) but he also is the type that gets more offensive zone starts than defensive ones too.

I think $5M is the right number for Giard to be honest. If he starts to produce 50-60 or more pts, then yeah, his contract is very very good. Not there yet though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are quite the silly person, but I am impressed you were able to actually write down so much shinanigans all in one place.

I think the thing that I find the most enjoyable is after making fun of you for multiple posts that you could seriously type "I'm not allowing you to". I'm treating you like a 5 year old fam, I don't have any respect or care what you really think. You're just good old fashioned entertainment

NHLPA's opinion > Meeqs

You lack substance to support your opinion and then you go on hate mode. Classic HF board poster you are. You fit right in bud

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Gallagher's value to the Habs is more than you realize based on the reasons you provided in this post. He can be extended from 29-35 and is projected as our next captain after Weber retires in 3 more years. It all lines up. Habs are not going to have a full team under the age of 30

Girard would be of interest to the Habs but not at the cost of Gallagher. Avs need Girard so I don't see either team doing this. Maybe in a few years if Byram turns into who is is projected too.

I'll flip it all.. How about Price (retention down to $8M) and Mete for Girard and Newhook. Don't like Mete? We can have Poehling in the mix. Still don't like it? Sure, we move on and can talk in a few seasons if the Avs are still looking for a goalie
That proposal is really out to lunch...

Price is a declining 32 year old goalie with a monster contract (even at $8m) until he's 39. You couldn't even get Avs to take him if you just gave him to us for free, let alone asking for two premium young players back.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Is he better than Landeskog or Rantanen? No? Then he's not a top line winger in Colorado. And, with the number of quality forwards we have, it's plausible that he could end up getting beaten out for the 2nd line RW role. This isn't "being silly", it's being realistic. Giving up a 22 year old top pairing LHD for a guy who could very plausibly end up being on our 3rd line is stupid.

I mean if your criteria is "are they better than Rantanen" then you wont have many top line wingers in the league haha. I'm also not saying he would be a top line winger in Colorado, but that he is one by NHL standards.

I have stated a few times that the deal isn't even close to being fair for Colorado and that it doesn't make sense, however there are a lot of effective ways to say that without stating clear falsehoods. Colorado being a stacked team has no impact on how good of a player Gally is.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
NHLPA's opinion > Meeqs

You lack substance to support your opinion and then you go on hate mode. Classic HF board poster you are. You fit right in bud

Like anyone could care less about the NHLPA's opinion haha. That means nothing. Supporting takes is for actual discussion, but all I'm doing is making fun of you so there is no need to. Your takes are too silly to take seriously, as much as you would like them to be.

If you're surprised that pretending anyone would ever want to trade for Price gets you made fun of then idk what else to tell ya, it really shouldn't be a shock.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like anyone could care less about the NHLPA's opinion haha. That means nothing. Supporting takes is for actual discussion, but all I'm doing is making fun of you so there is no need to. Your takes are too silly to take seriously, as much as you would like them to be.

If you're surprised that pretending anyone would ever want to trade for Price gets you made fun of then idk what else to tell ya, it really shouldn't be a shock.

I care about the NHLPA's opinion more than yours. haha

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That proposal is really out to lunch...

Price is a declining 32 year old goalie with a monster contract (even at $8m) until he's 39. You couldn't even get Avs to take him if you just gave him to us for free, let alone asking for two premium young players back.

If Price was declining, the NHLPA would not pick him for a game 7 go to goalie in the yearly player poll. I can respect the Avs wanting to go with the bargin goalie but not going to respect Price's value at $8M AAV being thrown under the bus. Two different things at play here and I ask Avs fans to take a step back on that. Or you can continue to act that way like so many on HF boards do.

Price is signed from 32-38. Elite level goalies don't decline like players do but you can disagree with that. There is not much you can find to support your opinion though.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I care about the NHLPA's opinion more than yours. haha

You care about a lot of silly things that aren't true though haha, so why does that matter.

Like there is no way I would ever expect you to care about my opinion, if you could take away any value from me mocking you then there is no way you could possibly still have such hilariously bad takes by now, you would have learned long ago.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You care about a lot of silly things that aren't true though haha, so why does that matter.

Like there is no way I would ever expect you to care about my opinion, if you could take away any value from me mocking you then there is no way you could possibly still have such hilariously bad takes by now, you would have learned long ago.

NHLPA pole is a fact, not an opinion. You act like it's not true cause it goes against your narrative.

Canadiens' Carey Price voted league's best goalie in NHLPA poll | Montreal Gazette

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If Price was declining, the NHLPA would not pick him for a game 7 go to goalie in the yearly player poll. I can respect the Avs wanting to go with the bargin goalie but not going to respect Price's value at $8M AAV being thrown under the bus. Two different things at play here and I ask Avs fans to take a step back on that. Or you can continue to act that way like so many on HF boards do.

Price is signed from 32-38. Elite level goalies don't decline like players do but you can disagree with that. There is not much you can find to support your opinion though.

Isn't it weird that when you have bad take, that others 'continue to act that way like so many on HF boards do' but it still doesn't click lol

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
NHLPA pool is a fact, not an opinion.

Yes every year so much is determined based on random NHLPA pools. The GM's gather and base there decisions on these valuable and serious questionnaires. It is what UFA signings and deals are compared too and only the most serious of adult men consider such crucial metrics in their decision making over literally any other actually viable piece of information you could possibly find.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I mean if your criteria is "are they better than Rantanen" then you wont have many top line wingers in the league haha. I'm also not saying he would be a top line winger in Colorado, but that he is one by NHL standards.

I have stated a few times that the deal isn't even close to being fair for Colorado and that it doesn't make sense, however there are a lot of effective ways to say that without stating clear falsehoods. Colorado being a stacked team has no impact on how good of a player Gally is.

But this whole thread is about the Avs acquiring Gallagher. What he is "by NHL standards" doesn't matter if he's not better than the guys we already have, and on the Avs, he'd be a 2nd or 3rd line winger, depending on how everything works out. And giving up a top pairing LHD to acquire a guy to play on your 2nd/3rd offensive line is stupid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes every year so much is determined based on random NHLPA pools. The GM's gather and base there decisions on these valuable and serious questionnaires. It is what UFA signings and deals are compared too and only the most serious of adult men consider such crucial metrics in their decision making over literally any other actually viable piece of information you could possibly find.

Price at $8M has different value than Price at $10.5M. NHLPA don't factor in contracts with their voting. But in terms of who they want in net.... it's clearly Price by a wide margin.

All I am doing is providing you facts. Facts that goes against your narrative that Price is "declining" or is "over rated"

NHLPA's opinion >>> Meeqs's opinion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But this whole thread is about the Avs acquiring Gallagher. What he is "by NHL standards" doesn't matter if he's not better than the guys we already have, and on the Avs, he'd be a 2nd or 3rd line winger, depending on how everything works out. And giving up a top pairing LHD to acquire a guy to play on your 2nd/3rd offensive line is stupid.

Fair. Close the thread then. Cause both teams say no to Girard and Gallagher trade

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I have no doubt the Avs are going to try the "alright" goalie in their cup quest. Could work or it could also fail. I think you will have a hard time finding a goalie like Price at $8M AAV moving forward. Of course you can try season after season to find the right fit.

Price keeps getting voted as the top choice by NHLPA for a game 7. I think the players know what they are talking about. And for the record. If Price had the value he had when he was 27, I'd ask for more than Girard and Newhook... especially if we were retaining Price down to $8M.

But hey, try the decent goalie or bargin bin goalie approach first. It might work.
That's the problem here no ones want to pay a goalie something around $8M$ most of these goalies that wins SC or are good couple seasons are getting paid after that. Avs are the last team should go all in on a goalie considering what happened to Florida with Bobrovski they could've tried to sign Pietro or Hall this summer with that money. Pretty sure that if Grubs wins the cup it will cost something around 6-7M$ to extend him. Binnington went from a 650K goalie to 4.4M$ after winning the cup.

I think players know what a god like Price can do that's probably why they voted for him in one game 7. The problem is the risk of getting the average one which is probably close to what we have right now in Grubs. The Avs would give up Girard, their #1 LHD and Newhook their best offensive prospect for him. I also highly doubt you would get anything more than Girard and Newhook for Price at 27. First off, Habs would've probably never traded him and even then which contenders can afford a Price while not breaking up their core. Teams like Flames, Oilers or even Wild would be better suited than the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad