Confirmed with Link: [COL/MIN] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
giphy.gif
This kid is disturbing AF. Like a psycho pervert mind trapped in a kid’s body. Nightmare stuff.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I highly doubt he’s going away

Pateryn's real dollar salary this season is actually $500k more than his AAV at $2.75m. I doubt any of the teams with capspace want to touch that.

Crazy to think that the Avs are effectively going to be paying $3.55m for Pateryn to eat nachos. Only $1.175m and the $800k retention (combined $1.975m) count against the cap with him on the taxi squad though.

Also worth noting that since Cole's real salary this year is $3m, with $800k retained Minnesota only pay Cole $2.2m in real dollars, so they save $550k compared to what Pateryn was earning ($2.75m).

Hopefully this trade was Sakic playing 4D chess by softening Guerin up for a cheap Bonino trade at the deadline. :)

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Pateryn's real dollar salary this season is actually $500k more than his AAV at $2.75m. I doubt any of the teams with capspace want to touch that.

Crazy to think that the Avs are effectively going to be paying $3.55m for Pateryn to eat nachos. Only $1.175m and the $800k retention (combined $1.975m) count against the cap with him on the taxi squad though.

Also worth noting that since Cole's real salary this year is $3m, with $800k retained Minnesota only pay Cole $2.2m in real dollars, so they save $550k compared to what Pateryn was earning ($2.75m).

Hopefully this trade was Sakic playing 4D chess by softening Guerin up for a cheap Bonino trade at the deadline. :)
I think the 1.175M$ is not his AHL cap hit but the most you can save on a contract by burying it. So his cap hit in the ALH would be:

2.25-1.175+0.8M$= 1.875M$

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Maybe the real reason he played so many games for us right away was to show everyone they shouldn't claim him :sarcasm:
"Greg, if you want to stay on the team long enough to win a cup, make sure to play really really bad for a couple of games so we can get you through waivers. Mkay."

:laugh:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think the 1.175M$ is not his AHL cap hit but the most you can save on a contract by burying it. So his cap hit in the ALH would be:

2.75-1.175+0.8M$= 2.375M$

(I got it wrong in think Sakic more than halved Cole’s cap hit)

Edit: Is it even 1.175M$? I just read that it is 375k$ plus the league minimum (700k$), so 1.075M$.
Capfriendly have it as $1.175m:

upload_2021-1-26_2-34-15.png

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Who PK’s when EJ’s hurt? Pateryn’s been solid for us on the PK and he’s been tremendous on other teams in that area.

Bednar has finally showed a willingness to use his more talented defensemen on the PK—there's no rule that stipulates your worst blueline has to be a part of that. There’s so much skill and talent on this defense, they should utilize it. And they have been so far.

And I didn’t think he sucked on the PK (certainly not the train wreck he was at even strength) but I didn’t think he was anything special either.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He’s averaging 11 minutes a night and it doesn’t even have to be that high. Our D is strong enough to shelter him into 8ish minutes 5v5 a night.

So far that hasn’t been the case. He has not been NHL caliber in these three games. I imagine not playing has been part of the problem but I don’t see what value he brings apart from cap relief.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar has finally showed a willingness to use his more talented defensemen on the PK—there's no rule that stipulates your worst blueline has to be a part of that. There’s so much skill and talent on this defense, they should utilize it. And they have been so far.

And I didn’t think he sucked on the PK (certainly not the train wreck he was at even strength) but I didn’t think he was anything special either.
Better to have Pateryn stopping slapshots with his ankles than Makar or Byram.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Better to have Pateryn stopping slapshots with his ankles than Makar or Byram.

Yes I know, but the best PK is one that doesn’t allow those shots to happen in the first place.

It doesn’t have to be Makar or Byram, it can be Timmins, Toews, EJ, Girard, whatever. Bottom line, the PK defender doesn’t have to be non-skilled.

That said I want a more aggressive PK system. There’s no excuse to use a passive system now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yes I know, but the best PK is one that doesn’t allow those shots to happen in the first place.

It doesn’t have to be Makar or Byram, it can be Timmins, Toews, EJ, Girard, whatever. Bottom line, the PK defender doesn’t have to be non-skilled.

That said I want a more aggressive PK system. There’s no excuse to use a passive system now.
And if you look at the statistics, Pateryn has done a better job that anyone else at preventing danger against through a small sample size so far.

Sure Toews can skate really fast, but how could you consider him a better PK option when he averaged a career high 6 seconds per game on the PK last year. All while Pateryn’s PK success has been the reason he’s had a job the last few years

Also the Avs have as an aggressive a PK system as I’ve seen lol. The issue is the quality they’ve had on it.
Toews, EJ and Graves will be the PKers, there’s no issue
EJ’s great at it. Of the other two you mentioned, one has never PK’d before and the other was one of the worst defenseman in the NHL on the PK last year. How is that no issue lol?

I think Pateryn should be a healthy scratch most nights but when EJ goes down we’re going to need him on that PK. It’s funny how quickly people forgot the Dallas series. Or our PK in general last year for that matter

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And if you look at the statistics, Pateryn has done a better job that anyone else at preventing danger against through a small sample size so far.

Sure Toews can skate really fast, but how could you consider him a better PK option when he averaged a career high 6 seconds per game on the PK last year. All while Pateryn’s PK success has been the reason he’s had a job the last few years

Also the Avs have as an aggressive a PK system as I’ve seen lol. The issue is the quality they’ve had on it.

EJ’s great at it. Of the other two you mentioned, one has never PK’d before and the other was one of the worst defenseman in the NHL on the PK last year. How is that no issue lol?

I think Pateryn should be a healthy scratch most nights but when EJ goes down we’re going to need him on that PK. It’s funny how quickly people forgot the Dallas series. Or our PK in general last year for that matter
That’s who will play on it lol. I agree if Pateryn sort of becomes the EJ understudy/insurance that makes a lot of sense. We don’t see enough of that sort of thinking among depth guys and callups is that someone is inserted to more specifically play the role of a guy that may go down at some point.

I feel the pk is very passive. The high forward challenges but that’s about it.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I feel the pk is very passive. The high forward challenges but that’s about it.

Defensively, the team in general is far too passive. They rarely employ a two man forecheck. They never pinch players off along the boards coming into the d zone. Once a team starts cycling on them, it usually doesn't end well as they have a hard time regaining possession. Some little changes could seriously make this team such a pain in the butt to play against, but that's just not in the system I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad