Confirmed Trade: [COL/MIN] Brandon Duhaime for 2026 3rd round pick

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't watch enough of the other teams to know. But you do know that they're all not the same, right? Duhaime is a lower end one. That is all. 8 points in 62 games and mostly sucks at fighting, though I guess some credit for willingness.
Andrew Cogliano played at a 5 point over 82 game pace after joining the Avs the year they won a cup. He was plenty "special" when it mattered

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Andrew Cogliano played at a 5 point over 82 game pace after joining the Avs the year they won a cup. He was plenty "special" when it mattered
I'm glad you guys like your shiny new toy. I'm sure he'll be amped to play tomorrow.

Happy with the draft currency for a pending UFA low-level 4th liner.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
a 3rd rounder is not a steep price for a guy who will be NHL-able for years yet. He's not some 33 year old on his last legs who can't forecheck or keep up with the play. Well worth whatever infinitesimal odds there are for that 3rd rounder to even suit up for 10 games.
Avs can't afford his next contract, he's purely a rental unless he's taking a pay cut... which I somehow doubt.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Avs can't afford his next contract, he's purely a rental unless he's taking a pay cut... which I somehow doubt.
Which is fine. With the arrival of Kovalenko and Landy’s potential return, the Avs probably won’t have room for him long term anyway.

I’d much rather that the Avs find a way to somehow keep Trenin.

This move was made purely for this year’s run, IMO.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I also see this trade as a "signal" to, especially, Vegas and Dallas. I doubt people like Benn or Kolesar go for the cheap shot knowing whats to come on the other side... Its not just Duhaime, but there is also Colton, now Trenin and Wood willing to stand up and deliver payback.....

We learned from our series against Vegas back then... Helped us to win the cup in 2022.....

After all is said and done this afternoon, the AVS´bottom lines will, hopefully, be a pain in the ass to play against.

A guy like Duhaime is not brought in to deliver the "playmaking highlights".

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
oh yeah i assumed it was a rental--i suppose bringing up age made it sound like it was a long term gig but i only meant to highlight he's not some guy about to be washed out of the NHL. He's there for energy and pace rather than veteran presence or whatever.

Reactions: PAZ

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't watch enough of the other teams to know. But you do know that they're all not the same, right? Duhaime is a lower end one. That is all. 8 points in 62 games and mostly sucks at fighting, though I guess some credit for willingness.
Duhaime isn't being acquired because of his offensive skill. He's a really good forechecker, hits everything, can PK well, has size, and can skate fast enough to fit with the Avs identity, and he's going to be asked to play 10 minutes as a physical nuisance on the 4th line which will be very useful over the course of a/several playoff series.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Can he play defense well pk? Can they forecheck, get under teams skin? It’s definitely. Ice to have a bit of scoring from the fourth line but that’s really not their main focus

We still dispose that rat ! :)
He will be CO's Kolesar.

oh yeah i assumed it was a rental--i suppose bringing up age made it sound like it was a long term gig but i only meant to highlight he's not some guy about to be washed out of the NHL. He's there for energy and pace rather than veteran presence or whatever.
There is a possibility if the numbers over the summer are right that he could get a contract moving forward. Well see

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can he play defense well pk? Can they forecheck, get under teams skin? It’s definitely. Ice to have a bit of scoring from the fourth line but that’s really not their main focus

We still dispose that rat ! :)

There is a possibility if the numbers over the summer are right that he could get a contract moving forward. Well see
This would be pretty questionable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
BTW, some were comparing him to Sturm. He is a different kind of player. Sturm is bigger, but Duhaime is much more physical and combative. Sturm plays C, and is good at FO's- I don't think i have ever seen Duhaime play C. Duhaime will drop the gloves, Sturm won't.

Both are fast....Sturm probably a bit faster on open ice, Duhaime with ab it more jump. Both don't put up points, but will tease you with their potential. Both are fairly smart, good defensively, and won't hurt you with dumb penalties, but they have different play styles.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
stick to ballet, then.
Or stick to hockey. Duhaime is a clown... a goon that can skate and barely play hockey. Avs made some good moves, but this wasn't one of them. This guy is more likely to lose them a game with a stupid 5 minute major than do anything of value. And if doing valuable things means cheap shoting our opponents, then I'd rather have a different guy with different skill set. Injuring guys and playing dirty isn't a skill set, it's just a lack of hockey courage.

This is the first Avs player in a while that I won't be rooting for. I hope he sucks and we can scratch him because he's a punk.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MK9

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Or stick to hockey. Duhaime is a clown... a goon that can sorta skate and barely play hockey. Avs made some good moves, but this wasn't one of them. This guy is more likely to lose them a game with a stupid 5 minute major than do anything of value. And if doing valuable things means cheap shoting our opponents, then I'd rather have a different guy with different skill set. Injuring guys and playing dirty isn't a skill set, it's just a lack of hockey courage.

This is the first Avs player in a while that I won't be rooting for. I hope he sucks and we can scratch him because he's a punk.
Lol Duhaime is an elite skater.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Or stick to hockey. Duhaime is a clown... a goon that can sorta skate and barely play hockey. Avs made some good moves, but this wasn't one of them. This guy is more likely to lose them a game with a stupid 5 minute major than do anything of value. And if doing valuable things means cheap shoting our opponents, then I'd rather have a different guy with different skill set. Injuring guys and playing dirty isn't a skill set, it's just a lack of hockey courage.

What exactly is your bar for "goon"? Is it just "a guy who fights"? I guess that describes him but, again, he loses almost all his fights. He's not an enforcer. He's not scaring people off with his punching prowess.

He has 8 majors this year, 7 of which were for fighting. The other 5 minute major was a match penalty for boarding Thomas Harley. He's had several boarding penalties in his career, and this was the only one that was deemed worthy of this punishment.

In '22-23 he had 4 majors, all from fighting. In his rookie season, '21-22, he had 10 majors. 9 of those were fighting. The one that wasn't for fighting was a cross check against the Avs, and he picked up a major and misconduct for that. So he's had 2 penalties that could potentially be called "goonish" in his career, both of which were penalized mainly for their proximity to the boards when they occurred.

tl;dr
In 193 career games and 502 hits, he has picked up 2 major penalties, a boarding and a cross check. He also rarely takes minor penalties. He plays a overall clean game and stays out of the box except for when he fights (which he does willingly but poorly).

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
What exactly is your bar for "goon"? Is it just "a guy who fights"? I guess that describes him but, again, he loses almost all his fights. He's not an enforcer. He's not scaring people off with his punching prowess.

He has 8 majors this year, 7 of which were for fighting. The other 5 minute major was a match penalty for boarding Thomas Harley. He's had several boarding penalties in his career, and this was the only one that was deemed worthy of this punishment.

In '22-23 he had 4 majors, all from fighting. In his rookie season, '21-22, he had 10 majors. 9 of those were fighting. The one that wasn't for fighting was a cross check against the Avs, and he picked up a major and misconduct for that. So he's had 2 penalties that could potentially be called "goonish" in his career, both of which were penalized mainly for their proximity to the boards when they occurred.

tl;dr
In 193 career games and 502 hits, he has picked up 2 major penalties, a boarding and a cross check. He also rarely takes minor penalties. He plays a overall clean game and stays out of the box except for when he fights (which he does willingly but poorly).
Shouldn't have wasted your time responding to that clown.

All Wild players are goons.

All Avs players are saints.

It's a pretty easy summary of how they think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad