Confirmed Trade: [COL/MIN] Brandon Duhaime for 2026 3rd round pick

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I'll gladly take a 3rd for Duhaime. UFA that clearly was tapped out as a physical 4th-line winger. Easily replaceable.

No only if we have some veteran scorers on tradeable contracts.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A 2026 3rd who will be a NHL 4th liner probably draft plus 4. So in 2030, you might have a nhl 3/4th liner, when mack is like 34 years old.
Yup, it's pretty easy to check this out. Just got to Hockey Reference, or some site like that, click on 3rd rounders, see how many pan out, and when they pan out. A 3rd is nothing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yup, it's pretty easy to check this out. Just got to Hockey Reference, or some site like that, click on 3rd rounders, see how many pan out, and when they pan out. A 3rd is nothing.
Its a win-win. Better for minny to get a pick than lose him for nothing in UFA. Better for the Avs to have any player who is playable in the NHL playoffs than a 3rd round pick. Duhaime is at least playable in the playoffs and can also allow LoC/Parise/wood to rest in the rest of the regular season.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Maybe he is the 2024 Nico Sturm for Colorado. Seriously, he might fill the 2022 Helm role of banging everybody out there in the playoffs. Helm and his line gave the team a lot of energy from their flying around on the ice. Helm even chipped in a couple of goals including a game winner. I think Guerin did a nice job here, getting a 3rd and Colorado got just what they wanted.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Getting a 3rd for him feels like we've officially given up. I mean a lot of us have already, but officially acknowledged now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, the price looks a bit steep if you just paper scout the guy. But the pick isn't until 2026 which is a ways away and a 3rd round pick that year won't likely be ready for the NHL for at least a few years after that (if ever). So...that "time value of money" suppresses the value of that pick a fair bit.

And Duhaime is a real good 4th line energy player. Exactly the sort of fast, heavy, dependable game you want out of a real "playoff ready" 4th line. Players like that are always worth significantly more to teams than some little NHL/AHL scoring role tweener that might post better stats if you put them on the powerplay or something (which is of little to no use for real contender caliber teams that have their PP staffed well already).

Would've been happy to add Duhaime to the Canucks. Maybe not at that price, but...different context and situation than the Avs. I think the price makes sense for them. Helps continue to carve out a real identity for that bottom-6/4th line.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
a 3rd rounder is not a steep price for a guy who will be NHL-able for years yet. He's not some 33 year old on his last legs who can't forecheck or keep up with the play. Well worth whatever infinitesimal odds there are for that 3rd rounder to even suit up for 10 games.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Duhamie was a guy I was interested to see if we'd pickup.

Given the price I'm fine with not making this move, not that giving up a 3rd is the end of the world for Colorado. He should be a good contributior.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Damn, i like duhaime. Seems weird that Guerin has no spot for him, as he should be a cheap re-sign, given his stats, and no replacement in the system plays with his physicality, speed, and toughness.

Happy for him that he has a chance for a Cup, not happy that it's CO, but he doesn't have to re-sign there, does he?
Only if he wants to play for a winner for a change.

Given the price I'm fine with not making this move
Especially since the Canucks are contenders.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Cmac is tramatized by the beaucage and the steinbergs of the world that the Avs scouting staff banged the table for. Good thing most of them have been fired.

3rd rounders can be used to move up in the 2nd too. Could be the difference between trading for a player in 2025, or not.

I'll take the currency over a below average 4th liner.
Not sure about your second point. I dont think a super far out 3rd has ever been the deal breaker in a significant trade.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Cmac is tramatized by the beaucage and the steinbergs of the world that the Avs scouting staff banged the table for. Good thing most of them have been fired.

Not sure about your second point. I dont think a super far out 3rd has ever been the deal breaker in a significant trade.
It won't be super far out in 2025. Just saying that it's extra ammo for a possible trade when we're no longer handcuffed by the buyouts.

Maybe a trade opportunity presents itself where a 1st + 2 3rds gets it done when a 1st + 3rd doesn't. Or 1st + 3rd + 4th doesn't. Never know.

I appreciate how he made it to the NHL, but he's one of the definitions of "nothing special".

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
It won't be super far out in 2025. Just saying that it's extra ammo for a possible trade when we're no longer handcuffed by the buyouts.

Maybe a trade opportunity presents itself where a 1st + 2 3rds gets it done when a 1st + 3rd doesn't. Or 1st + 3rd + 4th doesn't. Never know.

I appreciate how he made it to the NHL, but he's one of the definitions of "nothing special".
I mean he’s a 4th liner, if he was special, he wouldn’t be a 4th liner.

As long as he knows his role and does it well for his ~10 minutes a game while contributing with a point every once in a while, that’s all that the Avs should need out of him.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I doubt those are significant enough where you can't switch it with a prospect. A prospect whose developed decently is more desirable than a 3rd. Its not good to just give those away if you dont have a player like mack in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad