Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Ian Cole signs with the Avs (3 years, $4.25M)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
albatross.

It's 3 years

Avs only have like what, 15M now to play with?

I think they'll be fine. And i actually like this signing a lot. He's a much more reliable option than some of the names you see in the Avs system after their top 4 and i think he fits well into the group with EJ/Barrie/Zadorov/Girard

Also EJ/Barrie tend to get hurt. Adding another veteran guy capable of playing games in the top 4 can't hurt.

To be honest, i was expecting someone to give him the same dumb deal as Alzner which was 5 years at 4.625 because B2B cups and all that. With that in mind this isn't too bad, i certainly like Cole more now than what Alzner was in his last year with the Caps.

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
So we dont plan on competing for the next 3 years so the term is fine? Calvert and Cole both for 3 years. Its not that the team got worse, but they will take a spot from a young guy who deserves it.

Reactions: MacBradley

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
No this is a better deal than Dumo and Maata's albatross contracts. this is for only 3 years. Cole will provide the leadership needed on a team on the cusp of reaching the playoffs.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That's a fine deal. Only 3 years. And he is really really good in the playoffs. People are out to lunch calling this a bad deal.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Gaze upon the incredibly deep and talented RHD pool of 2018.

You're better off doing nothing on July 1st than buying the best guy out of a hilariously mediocre bunch.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
What's with all the doomsayers? It's only a 3 year deal. Good depth for the defense until guys like Girard & Makar are ready to handle the heavy lifting. Good work Joe!

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
What's with all the doomsayers? It's only a 3 year deal. Good depth for the defense until guys like Girard & Makar are ready to handle the heavy lifting. Good work Joe!
Barrie-Johnson-Makar-Girard-Timmins-Zadorov-Barberio-Alt-Lindholm-Nemeth

I understand not all will play next season (Makar) but where in the world does Cole fit in for the next 3 years?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
A bit much for a bottom-pair d that can do spot duty in the top-4. But he's better than most of what the Avs have been icing for the last decade.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Its an overpay, but the Avs have flexibility to make a few overpays, so long as it doesn't go beyond 3 year term from now. That's when the cap space will really be needed.

The only downside here is that the overpayment could be used elsewhere for other stopgap measures

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Barrie-Johnson-Makar-Girard-Timmins-Zadorov-Barberio-Alt-Lindholm-Nemeth

I understand not all will play next season (Makar) but where in the world does Cole fit in for the next 3 years?

Outside the main 4 (Barrie Johnson Girard & Z) I'd rather rely on Cole than any of the others, especially when EJ takes his yearly sabbatical or maybe even if the Avs decide to move Barrie. Like I said, I think it's a solid depth move. Overpaid for sure but solid term makes up for it.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Barrie
Johnson
Zadorov
Makar
TImmins
Girard

This is the plan for a top 6 right? Where does 3 years of Cole fit? I get injuries happen and we could lose one of them, but wtf.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Can any Columbus fans shed some light on him, was he actually decent or pretty bad?

He was very good. Solid 4th or 5th defenseman. PKer. Not awful with the puck. Blocks shots. Might be a bit rich on the aav but only 3 years and he's a solid player. Could have been worse. you guys will like him

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I love Cole, but he's not worth that ($3.5M at most for me). We all knew that he'd get it, though.

If he's on your third pairing you'll love him and he can handle spot duty in the top four...but this cap hit carries legit top 4 expectations, and Cole's going to go in and out of viability there. His propensity for bad penalties will hurt.

As I said, though, this was going to be what it was going to take and they did it without being stupid with the term. Three years is the right amount.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad