Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Ian Cole signs with the Avs (3 years, $4.25M)

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Can any Columbus fans shed some light on him, was he actually decent or pretty bad?

Will do the grunt work and can chip in offensively. Like other guys of his style, he can sometimes find himself out of his position or get caught pinching. He should be fine as long as he's not overused.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Can any Columbus fans shed some light on him, was he actually decent or pretty bad?
Great personality, great interview, takes a LOT of penalties. Can't break a zone entry/ or make a zone exit to save his life, so goes for a lot of pushing and showing and a shot blocking. Bottom pair on all 3 teams he played so far. If you have a young fast PMD it might work.

Reactions: BHD

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Great personality, great interview, takes a LOT of penalties. Can't break a zone entry/ or make a zone exit to save his life, so goes for a lot of pushing and showing and a shot blocking. Bottom pair on all 3 teams he played so far. If you have a young fast PMD it might work.
He'll most likely be playing with either Girard or Barrie is how I imagine things will end up.

Zadorov-EJ
Cole/Nemeth-Barrie
Cole/Nemeth-Girard

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I like both Calvert and Cole as players, but Avs overpaid on both. I guess cap isn't an issue for the next couple of year for them so they can afford it?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I like both Calvert and Cole as players, but Avs overpaid on both. I guess cap isn't an issue for the next couple of year for them so they can afford it?

They overpaid for sure. I don't think it is an issue from a cap standpoint. More than anything, I would rather not see them take potential ice time away from developing players/prospects (Girard, Zadorov, Kamenev, Greer).

Reactions: MacBradley

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Barrie
Johnson
Zadorov
Makar
TImmins
Girard

This is the plan for a top 6 right? Where does 3 years of Cole fit? I get injuries happen and we could lose one of them, but wtf.

I personally don’t think Timmins will be in the NHL within 3 years.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Barrie
Johnson
Zadorov
Makar
TImmins
Girard

This is the plan for a top 6 right? Where does 3 years of Cole fit? I get injuries happen and we could lose one of them, but wtf.

Makar and Timmins probably won't be full time NHLers for another year or two. There's also the expansion draft for Seattle coming in 2020.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'm an Ian Cole fan and do miss him on the Pens. He plays well in the postseason and is pretty steady overall. I think the Avs will like him.

I thought he was at his best with Schultz. Pair him with a PMD and he will fit right in.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I personally don’t think Timmins will be in the NHL within 3 years.

He almost made the team out of camp last year and Sakic is on record saying he expects him to push for a spot this year. The only thing that will hold it up is he is still recovering from a concussion but you should expect him to be in the NHL sooner rather than later

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm an Ian Cole fan and do miss him on the Pens. He plays well in the postseason and is pretty steady overall. I think the Avs will like him.

I thought he was at his best with Schultz. Pair him with a PMD and he will fit right in.

Sounds good as he'll most likely be playing with either Barrie or Girard.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We needed to get to the cap floor, and I don’t mind pushing Barberio into the #7 slot. I don’t hate it for this year.

But you know this is one of those deals we’ll be happy to see roll off the books in a few years.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
My guess is Cole is in Seattle, along with one of the Avs' 2nd round picks in a couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad