Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Blues and Caps won the cup without high end 1C. Backstrom and ROR are very good players but neither is a high end 1C

Caps with Backstrom also another team. I don’t think you can call Backstrom a high end 1C
Backstrom is a good point. Definitely not high end. He just amped it up for their playoff run.

But he's still a 1C. I don't think this Boston team has anyone like the 17-18 Backstrom that the Caps had that season.

Reactions: the_fan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Blues and Caps won the cup without high end 1C. Backstrom and ROR are very good players but neither is a high end 1C

Caps with Backstrom also another team. I don’t think you can call Backstrom a high end 1C
Kuznetszov and Backstrom were both clearcut 1C's at that time. Kuzy probably should've won the Smythe and put up 83pts in the RS and 32pts in the post season. Backstrom put up 71pts in the RS and 23pts in the post season.

Backstrom is a good point. Definitely not high end. He just amped it up for their playoff run.

But he's still a 1C. I don't think this Boston team has anyone like the 17-18 Backstrom that the Caps had that season.
Don't forget Kuzy who was actually near elite when they won the cup.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Bruins eliminating the Panthers would be the biggest possible upset in these playoffs (short of Vancouver winning the cup).

It would be an upset if Florida looked good, but they are OFF. Whatever they are trying to do, isn't working. Boston will win this, if they don't make tactical changes.

I feel like Florida is playing this naive offensive hockey from the regular season, which works during the regular season. Enough firepower, you can do that, but for the playoffs you have to adjust and tighten up the game.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Swayman is breaking goaltending records it might not be needed. Has happened blues/canes/ devils depending what you think of that rotation of C’s.
The Canes has Eric Staal. He was absolutely a 1C then. I forgot about the 2012 Devils. That was a weird team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Canes has Eric Staal. He was absolutely a 1C then. I forgot about the 2012 Devils. That was a weird team.
Yeah Staal was a 100pt C the year they won the cup and put up 28pts in the post season. The Devils team may have won the cup had they had a legit 1C, but I think they had Zajac and Henrique as their top C's IIRC.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
It's pretty rare for a team to win without a higher end 1C. But I hesitate to try to educate you on that lest you say I'm not letting you voice your opinion then calling me Hitler.
Sometimes ppl have off days and say some shit brother if you wanna hold it against me that’s fair

Reactions: The Moops

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The closest thing you have to a team that didn't have a high end 1C in the cap era is the Ducks in... 07? Andy McDonald was their 1C that season I think, but Getzlaf had his breakout into being elite that season/postseason.

The Devils of the 90's-00's lacked one I think but also had one of the best goalies and defenses of all time assembled which the Bruins don't have. Although if Swayman puts up a historic goalie performance anything is possible.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How this clown isn't suspended based on all his previous crap? He is head hunting every game. It's insane.

He must be sponsored by Violent Gentleman. f*** Jamie Benn, but it still blows my mind that both these plays resulted in $5k fines. Byram's slow mo hit/interference too.

How do you not suspend him for that after McSorely?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The closest thing you have to a team that didn't have a high end 1C in the cap era is the Ducks in... 07? Andy McDonald was their 1C that season I think, but Getzlaf had his breakout into being elite that season/postseason.

The Devils of the 90's-00's lacked one I think but also had one of the best goalies and defenses of all time assembled which the Bruins don't have. Although if Swayman puts up a historic goalie performance anything is possible.
Ducks is a good one. Of course being able to throw one of Niedermayer and Pronger out there the whole game papers over a lot of holes

Reactions: The Abusement Park

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Florida is missing Bennett, but clearly controlling these games. Swayman is just having an elite run so far. Goalies can cover up a lot. Most of the time, they run out (unless they are Roy).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
He must be sponsored by Violent Gentleman. f*** Jamie Benn, but it still blows my mind that both these plays resulted in $5k fines. Byram's slow mo hit/interference too.

How do you not suspend him for that after McSorely?

New York gets away with things. The favourite pet of the NHL.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kuznetszov and Backstrom were both clearcut 1C's at that time. Kuzy probably should've won the Smythe and put up 83pts in the RS and 32pts in the post season. Backstrom put up 71pts in the RS and 23pts in the post season.

Don't forget Kuzy who was actually near elite when they won the cup.
Yeah i forgot about Kuznetsov. Caps did have pretty good center depth that year

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah good point. Even if guys like ROR, Backstrom, Kuznetsov aren’t McDavid or MacKinnon level, doesn’t mean they’re not damn good players and enough to win the cup with. We’ll see how far this Boston team can go without legit top C. They’ll go as far as Swayman takes them I guess

Reactions: sethro109

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Cats flipped the switch
IMG_2769.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah good point. Even if guys like ROR, Backstrom, Kuznetsov aren’t McDavid or MacKinnon level, doesn’t mean they’re not damn good players and enough to win the cup with. We’ll see how far this Boston team can go without legit top C. They’ll go as far as Swayman takes them I guess
I mean as long as Swayman is putting up a .955 anything us possible. But if he regresses even to like a .920 that won't be enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad