Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Ian Cole signs with the Avs (3 years, $4.25M)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Ideal #5 dmen. Can struggle if he plays top 4 minutes consistently.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Maybe I’m way off base and influenced by how these guys played against the Caps but I like what Sakic has done. Burned through a lot of cap room but brought in 3 guys in their 20s and the term makes it palatable.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Cole is a good teammate and leader but I was one of the few cbj fans who didnt want him back. Hes a walking penalty sometimes. If you are ever thinking man now would be a horrible time to take a penalty you should put a $ in a jar because you will trigger Coles secret effect of immidiate trip/slash when he is not even beat or in trouble.

Again great teammate and leader especially on the ice where he is very vocal and I think in that way helped some of our young guys learn that skill and make our core even better... just the penalties man haha

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
2 Years less. Give me Cole at $4.25M for 3 years of Jack Johnson at $3.25 for 5 years every day of the week.

Heh
As a Pens fan I am very fond of Cole. He was 20x more productive than Brassard in the playoffs. He's overpaid but I'm guessing the salary cap is of no concern to the Avs. Still, he's overpaid, and if last season was a fluke for JJ he'll he a steal.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If I were them I'd have just kept Orpik. Has the same mentorship aspect, probably even more. Can play the same PK minutes as Cole and rough players up. Was only signed for 1 year and I believe made less actual money than Cole will this year. Cole may (should) be a better ES player but he's not fleet of foot either and Girard/Johnson/Zadorov/Barrie should all be ahead of him or close to it. Paying Cole + Orpik buyout is just a waste of $$$.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If I were them I'd have just kept Orpik. Has the same mentorship aspect, probably even more. Can play the same PK minutes as Cole and rough players up. Was only signed for 1 year and I believe made less actual money than Cole will this year. Cole may (should) be a better ES player but he's not fleet of foot either and Girard/Johnson/Zadorov/Barrie should all be ahead of him or close to it. Paying Cole + Orpik buyout is just a waste of $$$.
Should have kept the guy who is ten years older... huh...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Should have kept the guy who is ten years older... huh...

who ticks off most of the same boxes and just crushed it on the way to a cup... yeah.

Cole seems like a #5 who'll end up playing top 4 minutes because of his contract/style moreso than ability, not sure how good that will be for Coleorado in years 2-3

Reactions: Sam Spade

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
who ticks off most of the same boxes and just crushed it on the way to a cup... yeah.

Cole seems like a #5 who'll end up playing top 4 minutes because of his contract/style moreso than ability, not sure how good that will be for Coleorado in years 2-3
ten... years... older...

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'm one of those who think that Cole can be/ is a top 4 dman. Looked his best when he was paired with Schultz on the 2nd pair.

I'd actually much rather have Cole than Maatta, but that's just me.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
As a Pens fan I am very fond of Cole. He was 20x more productive than Brassard in the playoffs. He's overpaid but I'm guessing the salary cap is of no concern to the Avs. Still, he's overpaid, and if last season was a fluke for JJ he'll he a steal.
In this deal I think salary was a concern, because at the time of this signing this put the Avs just above the cap floor.

Last edited:

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah, overpayment for sure but Avs have the cap space even with extensions in the upcoming years. 1 mil too much but Avs have no cap problems.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
This is one of the reason i think most GM in NHL are incompetent, i think they just have got their job because of connections and have no idea of what they are doing. Horrible trades, horrible draft picks, horrible signings. You wonder what they are thinking half of the time. Signs like this will just come back and haunt you when you want to sign a star player.

Much better save this money for some star player than signing medicore d-men for 4.25, you could have sign a equally good d-men for lesser than 1m, or you could lift up a prospect to fill that role. I Cole is hardly anything special, and is not worth more than around 1m.

Signs like this makes the signing for star player seem cheap. The worse contracts are usually the ones around 4-7m, medicore players that togeheter take up alot of cap space. Maybe a 1 year contract and if you have alot of cap space and have nothing better to spend it on.

For 3 cole you could get 1 EK/Tavares+1-2 1m guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad