Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Miles Wood signs with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He's a bottom 6 player. It's fine. There's no reason to act like he's more than he is or that this is some sort of amazing player. He's a bottom 6 chaos merchant. If the Avs are happy with that, good for them, but going back and reading this thread, most devils fans seemed pretty even about what he was and appears to continue to be.

2.5 mil also won’t be as much of the cap in 5-6 years, so they’ve basically locked in a sandpaper vet for little money. If he can stay decently healthy I just don’t get the negativity from some here- you gotta find a trustworthy 4th liner a few years from now, this dude should be good for it. He’ll get banged up, you try out prospects a bit, then Woods returns and it’s fine. Don’t think he’s the type to fall too hard off a cliff, and the contract is easily moved towards the end anyways.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
avs fans see the value in it
If they see the value in paying a 1 million dollar winger 2.5 for 6 years, bully for them.

I like Miles personally, I appreciate his playstyle, I enjoyed much of his time with the Devils, and yeah it might have been nice to have him when the Devils had half the forward roster on IR. But he's not a particularly good hockey player, and if that contract is overpaying him now, it's not going to be better in 4 years.

I have zero remorse that Fitz let him leave.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Not only that, but he also draws quite a few. He's only -3 on penalty differential for the year. Not that bad if he's otherwise contributing positively.

He is already pacing for career high 100pim and currently leads all avs in pim, with bottom6 minutes. So let's not act like he doesn't take penalties.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
He is already pacing for career high 100pim and currently leads all avs in pim, with bottom6 minutes. So let's not act like he doesn't take penalties.
I'm not acting like he doesn't take penalties. But if one is drawing nearly as many as they take, let's not act like it's a massive issue - especially for a team that is in the top 10 for both PP and PK.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It’s already been said since the bizarre thread bump, but I’m much more worried about years 4-6 of this deal than 1-3.

He’s playing above expectations right now, but it’s the length of the deal that everyone was criticizing Avs management about.

That said, salty NJ fans are always a welcome treat.
A lot of them said he lost his speed after his injury but he looks plenty fast to me.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
New Jersey won this. CMac overpaid in term and salary for a borderline 3rd liner who looks pretty on the ice.

Can we let this go now?

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
New Jersey won this. CMac overpaid in term and salary for a borderline 3rd liner who looks pretty on the ice.

Can we let this go now?

I know you're joking, but this really ain't about winning or losing (it's a free agent signing!). Devils fans were genuinely happy to see Wood sign with the Avs and get paid. But no, classy Avs fans need to make this some sort of contest, start calling us salty and asking how stupid we were to let him go. There's a reason why he wasn't re-signed and why most fans were frustrated with him, and it that doesn't change even if he wins a hart in the future. I get that the Avs are so top loaded that they aren't that used to depth, but he's still like your 8th best forward at best and doing same or worse as he did in the NJD, so I really don't get the point of this pissing contest.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I know you're joking, but this really ain't about winning or losing (it's a free agent signing!). Devils fans were genuinely happy to see Wood sign with the Avs and get paid. But no, classy Avs fans need to make this some sort of contest, start calling us salty and asking how stupid we were to let him go. There's a reason why he wasn't re-signed and why most fans were frustrated with him, and it that doesn't change even if he wins a hart in the future. I get that the Avs are so top loaded that they aren't that used to depth, but he's still like your 8th best forward at best and doing same or worse as he did in the NJD, so I really don't get the point of this pissing contest.

We managed to win the division last year with as much injuries as the devils this year. Missing makar, mack, lehkonen, nuke, landeskog, manson, byram. Pretty sure we know depth.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Agree.

I liked Miles, he was at times a ton of fun to watch. He is an EXTREMELY frustrating player who makes dumb decisions very frequently. After a few years of this we were ready to move on. It's that simple.

I'm glad he's playing well for Colorado, and I was happy for the Colorado fans until a bunch of you came in here just looking for a stupid fight for some reason.

Reactions: HBK27

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I think it's 100% fair to ask if devils fans regret it, but the reaction to the devils fans still being indifferent about it is weird.

Then you have certain clowns that really are just trying to dunk on posters or troll fans bases

Reactions: HBK27 and AslanRH

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
How can we even regret? It's not like we have any say on what our GM does anyway.

Besides Devs are paying 1m for Lazar who has close to same production but competes harder and smarter and is more solid defensively. Miles Wood is definitely not the reason why we suck and certainly not the reason why the Avs are so good.

If anything we hate Fitz for letting Brunette and for certain degree Severson and Graves go.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Wood is still fast in absolute terms, but he's not as fast as he used to be. He was legitimately one of the top-5 fastest guys in the league, faster than Taylor Hall was when he won the Hart with NJ.

Top 5 is actually crazy, no wonder the Avs were linked to him several times in the past. Still noticablly fast now, a positive difference maker under bednar's systme

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
How can we even regret? It's not like we have any say on what our GM does anyway.

Besides Devs are paying 1m for Lazar who has close to same production but competes harder and smarter and is more solid defensively. Miles Wood is definitely not the reason why we suck and certainly not the reason why the Avs are so good.

If anything we hate Fitz for letting Brunette and for certain degree Severson and Graves go.
This person used logic, so i think they're lost.

Hf isn't a place for logical discussion, sir.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
why fans immediately shit on a player when they’re not on their team anymore, I’ll never understand.

Well I do, but it’s childish.
What’s funny is you guys chiming in like you were watching Wood for his eight years in New Jersey. Every assessment was spot on for his time with the Devils.

He’s a likable guy and always had tools. If he’s had a great four months in Colorado, good for him. Happy for him. I find the need to try and spike the football after a few months more than a bit embarrassing.

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Here's a thought.
Could it be that he was not great last season, and the Devils made a sensible decsion to not try to match the Avs' offer as thye did not feel he was a 2.5m player. A sensible choice. But it can also be true that he is playing better this season than he was last season, and so for the time being it looks like the Avs are getting good value for him.

I love Miles Wood, I think he's been terrific for us (Avs), beyond what anyone was reasonably expecting of him. But I also don't think it necessarily means the Devils screwed up. Hindsight is 20/20.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Avs fan bumped this thread and deliberately baited NJ fans so maybe you should ask them?

I get it, if only we had kept Zacha, Wood, Sharangovich, Graves, Severson, Tatar et al we’d be prohibitive cup favorites.
Yeah, probably weighted that post sarcasm too heavy and wasn't meant to be a shot at the Devils.

I thought the initial bump post was a fine inquiry/update. Didn't notice it was an Avs fan that started the petty stuff, but I have a couple trade board regulars on "silent" so I may not have seen it.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad