Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Miles Wood signs with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
What’s funny is you guys chiming in like you were watching Wood for his eight years in New Jersey. Every assessment was spot on for his time with the Devils.

He’s a likable guy and always had tools. If he’s had a great four months in Colorado, good for him. Happy for him. I find the need to try and spike the football after a few months more than a bit embarrassing.
Next level passive aggressiveness lol

Reactions: dirtydanglez

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I decided against arguing, hence the deletion of the post. Wasn't worth a silly no win pissing match.

Agreed. Not worth it and i dont think this thread needed to be updated. Us signing wood is like jersey trading for graves. Happy to see that player doing well or okay, but no way do we want them back on the team.

Reactions: Forge

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Agreed. Not worth it and i dont think this thread needed to be updated. Us signing wood is like jersey trading for graves. Happy to see that player doing well or okay, but no way do we want them back on the team.
Personally I love Wood as I've previously stated in this thread, he just unraveled and couldn't get it back in NJ. He got hurt missed most of a season and was noticeably slower when he returned than he was in previous years, and he couldn't figure out how to play without it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
A lot of Avs fans had hissy fits when Byram had a run of penalties about 2 months ago now.

Well Wood takes far more penalties, and unlike Byram, Wood hasn’t cleaned up his issues and doesn’t seem able to fix this penalty problem.

Somehow no one talks about Wood’s many visits to the sin bin but it’s a problem.

Wood has some nice elements to his game but he’s gotta clean up his play before the playoffs. Far too many reckless plays keeps sending Wood to the box.

Historically Wood had giveth more than he took away, or at least ended up even, as you can see in his past penalty stats. (This is 5v5.)

IMG_3108.jpeg
IMG_3107.jpeg

Even if he’s taken more this season so far, he’s still drawn a good amount.

If Wood can get back to being a + in penalties that should be beneficial to a team with strong special teams like the Avs. He’s always going to take penalties.

Penalties/60
IMG_3109.jpeg
IMG_3110.jpeg

Totals
IMG_3111.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Personally I love Wood as I've previously stated in this thread, he just unraveled and couldn't get it back in NJ. He got hurt missed most of a season and was noticeably slower when he returned than he was in previous years, and he couldn't figure out how to play without it.

If any Avs fan actually watched Wood play last season they would not wonder why we didn’t bring him back. He was almost unplayable. That’s not personal, or doubting that he’s been better since he got to Colorado. There isn’t a GM in the league that would re-sign a guy that played like he did last season.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
How exactly is he thriving? He's scoring exactly same as always (sub 40pts pace). When Wood is on he's wonderful, his highlight reel is one of the most fun out of all of them. Unfortunately he can't be that guy all the time. His penalties and dumb plays will single handedly cost more games than he can win.

Devils have been shitting on Wood for years, go read their board. I know this cause I've tried to defend him.

The Devils fans miss the highlights, but not the other shit that comes with him. I love Wood off the ice too, so I'm glad he's getting fan support again. But maybe wait a le longer than few months until you claim to know exactly what he is, wait until he loses you an important playoff game, wait until he gets injured again and see his play style change after that.
he's playing well on the best 3rd line in the league

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Avs fan bumped this thread and deliberately baited NJ fans so maybe you should ask them?

I get it, if only we had kept Zacha, Wood, Sharangovich, Graves, Severson, Tatar et al we’d be prohibitive cup favorites.
I was not "deliberately baiting NJ fans". I perhaps thought that they may have seen Wood differently with the way their season has played out. Given how the Avs are currently using Wood- Colton- O'Conner as a 2nd line and hopefully soon to be one of the best checking 3rd lines in the league that the fans might say, hey, our team is missing him.

Obviously not, carry on with appreciating his departure.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I know you're joking, but this really ain't about winning or losing (it's a free agent signing!). Devils fans were genuinely happy to see Wood sign with the Avs and get paid. But no, classy Avs fans need to make this some sort of contest, start calling us salty and asking how stupid we were to let him go. There's a reason why he wasn't re-signed and why most fans were frustrated with him, and it that doesn't change even if he wins a hart in the future. I get that the Avs are so top loaded that they aren't that used to depth, but he's still like your 8th best forward at best and doing same or worse as he did in the NJD, so I really don't get the point of this pissing contest.
He is playing well and makes up part of the best 3rd line in the league which could be a 2nd line on a lot of teams

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not sure how he's been on Avs, but my understanding of him as a player is that he's an incredibly good skater(one of the very best in the league) but everything else is a bit meh. If you utilize him so that he can make use of his skating, then he'll probably be effective enough, and it looks like he's been an alright bottom 6 player for the Avs.

I still am not sure that a player like this should be signed for 6 years, though.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not sure how he's been on Avs, but my understanding of him as a player is that he's an incredibly good skater(one of the very best in the league) but everything else is a bit meh. If you utilize him so that he can make use of his skating, then he'll probably be effective enough, and it looks like he's been an alright bottom 6 player for the Avs.

I still am not sure that a player like this should be signed for 6 years, though.
He’s also big and hits a lot. So his skating added to that makes him a heavy forechecker. And unfun to play against.

its not the hardest job to duplicate. Speed and size never have off days.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I was not "deliberately baiting NJ fans". I perhaps thought that they may have seen Wood differently with the way their season has played out. Given how the Avs are currently using Wood- Colton- O'Conner as a 2nd line and hopefully soon to be one of the best checking 3rd lines in the league that the fans might say, hey, our team is missing him.

Would it surprise you to learn that most NJ fans don’t watch the Avs? The Wood we know is the one that played for us last year, and I can assure you we don’t miss him.

Yeah, you were trolling, if you want to talk about how much you love Miles Wood you can easily do that on the Avs board, but you wanted to get a reaction out of NJ fans.

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It was fairly clear at the end of last season that Wood could use a change of scenery.

He had an up-and-down season last year for the Devils after missing the prior season due to injury.

He also had issues in the playoffs...

1706623836511.png

1706623871903.png

1706623901187.png

After finding themselves in a 2-0 series deficit, Wood was healthy-scratched in games 3-6 against the Rangers for taking boneheaded penalties, which had become all too common. He came back for game 7, getting just 6:30 of ice time. In the 3 playoff games against the Rangers, Wood averaged just 6:37.

To his credit, Wood had a better series against Carolina - scored 2 goals in 5 games with no penalties and averaging ~13 minutes of ice time.

Wood had a very good 2020-2021 season, getting nearly 15 minutes of ice time with NJ - he was injured for just about all of the following season and then his ATOI dropped to 12:06 last season.

Maybe Wood could've been utilized better in NJ - given his speed, it was surprising that he never played on the PK. He did get some time on the 2nd PP unit, averaging 1:07 last season. But at the end of the day, he was a 4th liner that didn't play much special teams and averaged 12 minutes a game that also got healthy scratched in 4 of their 12 playoff games last season.

There was no way in hell NJ was going to offer anything remotely close to what he got from Colorado, so there's zero regret that we didn't keep him.

He's a good guy - happy to see he's doing well and got paid.

1706623538315.png

1706623558178.png

1706623595079.png

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Yeah, totally. The Devils are definitely in the position they’re in because they lost…Miles Wood.

• Haha

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Over half way through year 1, Wood has been a great fit on the Avs. Bednar loves big fast wingers who play simple games.

Wood- Colton- O'Connor has been or de facto 2nd line since Wood returned from his sickness that kept him out for 11 days.

Devils fans, in hindsight do you miss him at all? I understand he's a better fit for the Avs and I haven't watched many Devils games this year but he brings 'it' every night. One thing I don't understand in this thread was ragging on his passing? He has set up some spectacular goals this year.
If this is considered bait or a troll, then maybe there are some nerves that are a bit too sensitive.

• Love

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Would it surprise you to learn that most NJ fans don’t watch the Avs? The Wood we know is the one that played for us last year, and I can assure you we don’t miss him.

Yeah, you were trolling, if you want to talk about how much you love Miles Wood you can easily do that on the Avs board, but you wanted to get a reaction out of NJ fans.
This thread was pretty shocking at the signing and I was curious if there was any change in the reaction as we are half way through the season. He makes the Avs harder to play against, Tatar did not. I thought perhaps NJ was missing some of that tough to play against skills that he supplies the Avs.

Not sure why that is considered trolling to you. After all it is a discussion thread and there has been plenty of Devils fans able to explain why Miles Wood is not seen as missed without being assholes.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If any Avs fan actually watched Wood play last season they would not wonder why we didn’t bring him back. He was almost unplayable. That’s not personal, or doubting that he’s been better since he got to Colorado. There isn’t a GM in the league that would re-sign a guy that played like he did last season.
That could be said of almost any player that has success with a new team. He's looked more like the Miles Wood of old whenever I've watched Colorado this season though.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Yeah, totally. The Devils are definitely in the position they’re in because they lost…Miles Wood.
I would argue they'd be in a better position signing a player with toughness, like Miles Wood, than a expensive winger and giving Holtz and Mercer bigger roles. I understand Wood need a change of scenery, that has been driven home clearly.

Doesn't change my mind NJ would be better if they had more guys that are hard to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad