Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Miles Wood signs with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A lot of Avs fans had hissy fits when Byram had a run of penalties about 2 months ago now.

Well Wood takes far more penalties and doesn’t seem able to fix this problem. Somehow no one talks about Wood’s many visits to the sin bin but it’s a problem.

Wood has some nice elements to his game but he’s gotta clean up his play before the playoffs. Far too many reckless plays keeps sending Wood to the box.

That’s Wood though, even at his best. He’s a chaos agent.

We certainly need a more viable second line before the playoffs.

I think Wood has been the better version of what has been expected though.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That’s Wood though, even at his best. He’s a chaos agent.

We certainly need a more viable second line before the playoffs.

I think Wood has been the better version of what has been expected though.
If your game requires you spend at least 2 minutes a game in the box. You’re an agent of chaos against your own team.

Reactions: BLNY

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Do Avs fans see him staying beyond this season in Colorado?
Drouin's been a hit in a one-season contract so he'll likely want to re-sign and get a raise, plus Landeskog and Nuke should be back in the top-6; behind Rantanen, Lekhonen and the three aforementioned guys (and probably O'Connor for 3rd line RW) I wonder if his $2.5 million would be too much to afford seeing as the Avs only have $3 million in cap space, and depth + #2 goalie need to be re-signed or replaced. He does seem like a solid fringe top-6 guy but he seems to need his linemates on heaters to be productive.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Drouin's been a hit in a one-season contract so he'll likely want to re-sign and get a raise, plus Landeskog and Nuke should be back in the top-6; behind Rantanen, Lekhonen and the three aforementioned guys (and probably O'Connor for 3rd line RW) I wonder if his $2.5 million would be too much to afford seeing as the Avs only have $3 million in cap space, and depth + #2 goalie need to be re-signed or replaced. He does seem like a solid fringe top-6 guy but he seems to need his linemates on heaters to be productive.

I dont see drouin being able to be resigned without a huge discount. I think the plan has always been to keep wood for at least the next 4 crucial years of the window.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Yes, he will be here. If we can get someone to take Johansen, we can probably fit Drouin for 2 years by 4.5 mil. That's probably best we could do but I could see Drouin taking that just to stay.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I find devils fans general attitude towards this whole situation to be absolutely hilarious
Ehh the perceived anger comes from the fact that he had the Devils excited for so long. He has the speed and a few other skills where you watch him and say, man the second he figures out how to play hockey he is going to be amazing. And he would for multiple games or months and then seemingly forget how to play again. The skills were always there for some reason he just didn't use them. Other than bitter fans I don't think anyone expected him to go to another team and not thrive, he's that type of player who just needs a kick.

I still remember when he got demoted to the 3rd or 4th line and that line gelled right from the rip, he scored and I've never seen someone look do disappointed scoring a goal. Like he knew, "great, this line works and now I'm stuck on it." That was him in a nutshell. But if he does what's asked of him, he's great. When he knows his role that is. Sometimes he tried to do and be too much and it ended up worse than just playing basic hockey.

Wish him the best, always enjoyed watching him play for the Devils but it just seem like he got stale and stalled out, even regressed a bit. If the move was the kick he needed to get back to and stay at his best form, power to him.

And the Ex comparison, it's more like asking your partner to get a job for years, the second you kick them to the curb, they end up getting a super successful job. It's like, I'm happy for ya, but that's literally all I've been asking for from you for the past 5 years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If it turns into a bad deal at year 2+ how much of a hamstring would $2.5M be on the team?

Not a huge deterrence by itself, but it can certainly contribute to an overall significant hamstring.

If we say by year 2 that he's nothing more then an average 4th liner, which you can typically get in free agency for $1M.... Then that means we're spending $1.5M over what we need to for that position.

That isn't a lot of money, but it could be the difference between having $5M in cap space for a 2nd line Center, versus having $6.5M. Or the difference from having an $800k backup goalie versus a $2M guy.

And, if you have say 3 guys that are $1.5M overpaid relative to what they provide on the ice... All of a sudden you've got almost $5M in cap space that could be used elsewhere. IE if you've got RyJo making $4M when he should be making $2M(Generous) and Manson making $4.5M when he probably should be making $3.5M....

Between those 3 guys being overpaid for what they bring, that's the difference between having $3M for a 2C next year versus having $6.5M. It all adds up quite quickly.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not a huge deterrence by itself, but it can certainly contribute to an overall significant hamstring.

If we say by year 2 that he's nothing more then an average 4th liner, which you can typically get in free agency for $1M.... Then that means we're spending $1.5M over what we need to for that position.

That isn't a lot of money, but it could be the difference between having $5M in cap space for a 2nd line Center, versus having $6.5M. Or the difference from having an $800k backup goalie versus a $2M guy.

And, if you have say 3 guys that are $1.5M overpaid relative to what they provide on the ice... All of a sudden you've got almost $5M in cap space that could be used elsewhere. IE if you've got RyJo making $4M when he should be making $2M(Generous) and Manson making $4.5M when he probably should be making $3.5M....

Between those 3 guys being overpaid for what they bring, that's the difference between having $3M for a 2C next year versus having $6.5M. It all adds up quite quickly.
Which leads to the worst case paying to unload him... a 3rd?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Woods and Anderson are from the same school of...speed with blinders.

I liked him a few years ago but now getting into middle age hockey wise and no more interest from us.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I can easily see Wood falling off a cliff in the latter half of his contract, but at 2.5m it's not the worst thing in the world. For now, he's been great. I love having a guy like him on the team. No nonsense, just skates fast and drives the net.

A lot of Avs fans had hissy fits when Byram had a run of penalties about 2 months ago now.

Well Wood takes far more penalties, and unlike Byram, Wood hasn’t cleaned up his issues and doesn’t seem able to fix this penalty problem.

Somehow no one talks about Wood’s many visits to the sin bin but it’s a problem.

Wood has some nice elements to his game but he’s gotta clean up his play before the playoffs. Far too many reckless plays keeps sending Wood to the box.

Avs fans were annoyed about Byram taking tons of penalties because they were all for shooting the puck over the glass and other similarly silly penalties.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I don’t blame them…nobody likes seeing their ex thrive after dumping them! lol

How exactly is he thriving? He's scoring exactly same as always (sub 40pts pace). When Wood is on he's wonderful, his highlight reel is one of the most fun out of all of them. Unfortunately he can't be that guy all the time. His penalties and dumb plays will single handedly cost more games than he can win.

why fans immediately shit on a player when they’re not on their team anymore, I’ll never understand.

Well I do, but it’s childish.

Devils have been shitting on Wood for years, go read their board. I know this cause I've tried to defend him.

The Devils fans miss the highlights, but not the other shit that comes with him. I love Wood off the ice too, so I'm glad he's getting fan support again. But maybe wait a little longer than few months until you claim to know exactly what he is, wait until he loses you an important playoff game, wait until he gets injured again and see his play style change after that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Well Wood takes far more penalties, and unlike Byram, Wood hasn’t cleaned up his issues and doesn’t seem able to fix this penalty problem.

Somehow no one talks about Wood’s many visits to the sin bin but it’s a problem.

This is not true? They both have 17 minors.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I can easily see Wood falling off a cliff in the latter half of his contract, but at 2.5m it's not the worst thing in the world. For now, he's been great. I love having a guy like him on the team. No nonsense, just skates fast and drives the net.

Avs fans were annoyed about Byram taking tons of penalties because they were all for shooting the puck over the glass and other similarly silly penalties.
Vs slashing a guy 150 feet from his net like Wood does. Both are bad penalties.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Vs slashing a guy 150 feet from his net like Wood does. Both are bad penalties.

True, but 3 games in a row with a delay of game penalty is a lot more annoying than a slash. I wasn't one of the people calling for Byram's head, but even I was annoyed.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
avs fans see the value in it

He's a bottom 6 player. It's fine. There's no reason to act like he's more than he is or that this is some sort of amazing player. He's a bottom 6 chaos merchant. If the Avs are happy with that, good for them, but going back and reading this thread, most devils fans seemed pretty even about what he was and appears to continue to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad