Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Miles Wood signs with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I mean 25 points including 17 goals in 55 games in one of the shortened seasons is a good and well-over-30 pace.

The issue with wood isn’t that he’ll deliver less production than you’d expect from a fourth liner. For what he is (a fourth liner) the offense is on par or possibly above. The issue is the frequent brain dead flubs that cost goals, either while he’s on the ice or while he’s watching from the penalty box.
Feels like we signed a left-handed, speedier Blake Comeau.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I personally loved the guy. When our team was absolute dogshit, he was a lone bright spot.

I think the contract is fair and he's going to be adored by Avs fans.

The dumb penalties are overstated and his shot production is actually great. They are memorable bc this year was a chance for his playoff type game to shine and he lost his mind; retaliating and getting himself scratched. I won't say we would've resigned him if he had played well...but he has size and speed and that's a need....just not as an expensive fourth liner.

Many of the penalties he takes are goa lie interference bc he goes to the net, and sometimes into it... Which is something that few players on our team can or want to do...

Best of luck, Miles.

I agree mostly. Usually his penalties are goal line. But he took 2 VERY dumb penalties vs. the Rangers.

First in Game 1 - halling down Panarin, in the offensive zone... when it was just the 2 of them there. Puck at the other end of the rink. Directly lead to a powerplay goal. Helped put us down 0-2 early. Blowout game? Sure. But in hindsight a Devils goal to tie it could maybe have changed the outcome.

So what happens the 2nd game? Tied game - he slashes Panarin which leads to yet another powerplay goal. Finally he was scratched the next 4 games. He did behave himself when he returned.

I know other guys took penalties... and subsequent powerplays occurred. That penalty in game 1 was just so, so so stupid.

I probably would have had a longer leash for him for ONE penalty - had he been a bit better last year.

I do think he has value. I hope he's all healed up. He has combination of size and speed that, while not crazy impressive, is still valuable. He has shown flashes of being a 20-20 guy... assuming his injuries are behind him I think he can do that. Otherwise his overal impact is like a Dale Weise.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I agree mostly. Usually his penalties are goal line. But he took 2 VERY dumb penalties vs. the Rangers.

First in Game 1 - halling down Panarin, in the offensive zone... when it was just the 2 of them there. Puck at the other end of the rink. Directly lead to a powerplay goal. Helped put us down 0-2 early. Blowout game? Sure. But in hindsight a Devils goal to tie it could maybe have changed the outcome.

So what happens the 2nd game? Tied game - he slashes Panarin which leads to yet another powerplay goal. Finally he was scratched the next 4 games. He did behave himself when he returned.

I know other guys took penalties... and subsequent powerplays occurred. That penalty in game 1 was just so, so so stupid.

I probably would have had a longer leash for him for ONE penalty - had he been a bit better last year.

I do think he has value. I hope he's all healed up. He has combination of size and speed that, while not crazy impressive, is still valuable. He has shown flashes of being a 20-20 guy... assuming his injuries are behind him I think he can do that. Otherwise his overal impact is like a Dale Weise.

Kadri was suspended twice and he was still an amazing acquisition for the Avs. I doubt Avs proscouts put too much weight those penalties.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kadri was suspended twice and he was still an amazing acquisition for the Avs. I doubt Avs proscouts put too much weight those penalties.
I think the penalty issue is just an in the moment thing. My guess is that Wood was asked to play aggressively by NJ. If Colorado asks him to dial it back it would be for the best anyway. For his contract he will be good for the Avs so long as his health allows. Just have him play a simple north south game and accept that he will be streaky in providing any offense but to be fair, that's what good fourth line types do. If the offense was consistent they'd be in the top six. I think most NJ fans wish him well.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Oh I am certainly cherry picking here. Recency bias for sure. But it infuriated me at the time(s)

Understandably. Wood is a supremely infuriating player.

Amazing physical tools (at least before the hip surgery and ONE YEAR OFF), f***ing cotton candy between the ears.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Bojanglez

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Jeez…there’s no scorned lovers on Earth like New Jerseyians!

The only psycho girlfriend I’ve ever had was from New Jersey. After I broke up with her (we went out for about 6 months mind you), I had to deal with her keying my car, puncturing my tires, calling/emailing my work trying to get me fired, her brothers/cousins calling me telling me that they’re gonna f*** me up because I hurt her feelings…multiple times!

I was just telling my friend about it and he told me about his crazy ex from New Jersey too.

It’s ok guys, you can move on and touch some grass outside! Sounds like he’s the Avs problem now! :laugh:

Reactions: wetcoast

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Avs built a cup winning team by trading for low cap hit players with good analytics playing too low in the lineup for other teams.

This is the complete opposite. A guy who is a fourth liner at best on way too much money and term.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
The Avs built a cup winning team by trading for low cap hit players with good analytics playing too low in the lineup for other teams.

This is the complete opposite. A guy who is a fourth liner at best on way too much money and term.
Oh wow your account is coming up on the one year anniversary of exclusively crapping on the Avs.

Congrats!

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Over half way through year 1, Wood has been a great fit on the Avs. Bednar loves big fast wingers who play simple games.

Wood- Colton- O'Connor has been or de facto 2nd line since Wood returned from his sickness that kept him out for 11 days.

Devils fans, in hindsight do you miss him at all? I understand he's a better fit for the Avs and I haven't watched many Devils games this year but he brings 'it' every night. One thing I don't understand in this thread was ragging on his passing? He has set up some spectacular goals this year.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Over half way through year 1, Wood has been a great fit on the Avs. Bednar loves big fast wingers who play simple games.

Wood- Colton- O'Connor has been or de facto 2nd line since Wood returned from his sickness that kept him out for 11 days.

Devils fans, in hindsight do you miss him at all? I understand he's a better fit for the Avs and I haven't watched many Devils games this year but he brings 'it' every night. One thing I don't understand in this thread was ragging on his passing? He has set up some spectacular goals this year.

Glad he’s found a place in Colorado, his time on the Devils was great when he was going but when things started going sideways on him he couldn’t recover. I don’t particularly miss him on the Devis but he is a healthy NHL caliber player and the Devils don’t have many of those right now.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Year 1 of this deal is not what people were concerned about.

He’s 28 and the cap hit is going to be less and less significant the further we move along. There’s not like some overwhelming anvil hanging over the Avs here in the future. In 2028, 29 etc this cap hit is going to be insignificant.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the signing but he’s been the best version of Miles Wood so far. Big, fast, tenacious and that Wood-Colton-LOC has been exactly what the Avs had imagined…fast, physical and complete pain in the ass to play against and capable of creating some offense and chaos.

If that were our true third line…the Avs couldn’t be in better shape. Unfortunately with Landeskog out, Lehkonen missing so much time, Nuke being awesome and then alternately gone and RyJo being poor…this really is the second best line on the team.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey

Nope, glad he's gone.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Nope. I mean, his spot has been pretty well taken on by Curtis Lazar.

I miss the chaos he could cause because it was fun....but he went through some really, really bad stretches (including the end of last year). Don't miss the frustration.

I do like that Colorado gave him PK time though. I always wondered why the devils didn't do that. The speed would play on the PK

Reactions: HBK27

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He hasnt lost his speed at all. Another win for the Avs proscouts.

Fantastic signing for 2.5M.

Definitely premature to be saying this. They got the $2.5M because of the 6 year deal and this contract is going to age like milk.

Solid fit right now though and I guess for the Avs that's the main thing. Not too concerned about our ugly contracts in 4 years when we're well past our contention window.

At $2.5 mil you shouldn’t be worried about any of the years

Ah, yeah you should...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

A lot of Avs fans had hissy fits when Byram had a run of penalties about 2 months ago now.

Well Wood takes far more penalties, and unlike Byram, Wood hasn’t cleaned up his issues and doesn’t seem able to fix this penalty problem.

Somehow no one talks about Wood’s many visits to the sin bin but it’s a problem.

Wood has some nice elements to his game but he’s gotta clean up his play before the playoffs. Far too many reckless plays keeps sending Wood to the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad