GDT: Col @ Car | 5pm MT | Greetings (The Emergency GDT)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
he's gotta be a bit stale.now though but yeah I agree
When a head coach as good as Bednar gets stale, you change up the assistants before doing anything to him.

The Avs top guys all play the way Bednar wants and it works. Ditto the Avs role players when in proper roles. It's the miscast guys who struggle and for good reason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn’t mind the Avs under a guy that plays a more demanding, defensive system. If Torts was available, he’d be ideal. But not many of those guys around. Another 1st round failure would have the leash short though as part of that would be the load he’s put on the top guys to win now instead of later.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Well Bednar either needs to change assistants, have management force the issue or fire his ass, because the power play should not be this f***ing atrocious with the talent we have.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Could not watch the game, so not sure if it was Georgiev's fault, but not scoring a minimum of three goals against Raanta is completely unacceptable. Hurricanes are the team I can watch the most from the East and he's passed it.

I wouldn’t mind the Avs under a guy that plays a more demanding, defensive system.
Gallant come on down.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Tonight's game also showed the difference between a good PK and a bad PK.

Look at how hard the Hurricanes attacked the Avs on the entries and when the Avs had the puck in the zone. They could never get set up and even when they did they were running around scrambling for dear life trying to fight for pucks because Carolina kept coming. F***ing Jacob Slaving even chased Nathan MacKinnon up to the blue line at one point and forced him to give the puck to Drouin. Carolina had three killers at the point, the Avs had an easy 2-on-1 down low but couldn't get the puck there due to pressure.

Meanwhile, the Avs stand around and wait for teams to make plays on them, hoping sticks in the lane is enough disruption. It's maddening.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs can’t really win unless MacKinnon goes into God mode.
I'd not want to enter the playoffs with this still being a thing.

Like I said earlier, losing now is a blessing if it forces the GM to make moves instead of having a false sense of confidence when he looks at the standings.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Could not watch the game, so not sure if it was Georgiev's fault, but not scoring a minimum of three goals against Raanta is completely unacceptable. Hurricanes are the team I can watch the most from the East and he's passed it.

Gallant come on down.
Gallant wouldn’t be the worst if they made a move. He’s just not gonna last. If the Avs get bounced in the first or second round he his year and don’t look strong 1/3 into the season next year… I’d welcome that change.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well Bednar either needs to change assistants, have management force the issue or fire his ass, because the power play should not be this f***ing atrocious with the talent we have.

The PP is 9th in the league...

It's a long season, cold stretches happen. And its missing an important piece right now. The PP is absolutely not an issue at all.

Plus, at some point you have to just give credit to the other team as well. Tonight was simply masterful work from the Hurricanes.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021

Gallant come on down.
yes to Gallant , I'd like to see a coach with some fire.

Tonight's game also showed the difference between a good PK and a bad PK.

Look at how hard the Hurricanes attacked the Avs on the entries and when the Avs had the puck in the zone. They could never get set up and even when they did they were running around scrambling for dear life trying to fight for pucks because Carolina kept coming. F***ing Jacob Slaving even chased Nathan MacKinnon up to the blue line at one point and forced him to give the puck to Drouin. Carolina had three killers at the point, the Avs had an easy 2-on-1 down low but couldn't get the puck there due to pressure.

Meanwhile, the Avs stand around and wait for teams to make plays on them, hoping sticks in the lane is enough disruption. It's maddening.
that's Pratt

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
I dont think that byram will work out in Colorado. He needs to be able to develope somewhere that isn't in a win now situation. Missing all the games early on in his career has stalled his development a bit. Like I see flashes of a great top pairing guys in there sometimes but I don't think we can wait for that guy to blossom. If we can trade him for a solution at 2c it might be in everyone's best interest

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, it’s time for Bennett and Pratt to go. The PK has been meh for awhile and when you go 0 for 6 on the PP and don’t try to change a single thing up there’s a big problem.
When was the last time that assistants were fired mid season without a coaching change?

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Oh the joys of GDT’s :laugh:
What joys? This team can't win unless they outscore their awful goaltending. And they only score enough if Mack and Makar are playing 30 minutes a night. And I think Makar got hurt? So this should be a fun end of the season while CMac brings in guys that are on the fringe of retirement for random draft picks. Then he'll use the 1st on some no name guy that'll fizzle out in 2-3 years. Rinse and repeat. They got lucky once.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Would be one of the more foolish things to happen in the league.

Bednar is a phenomenal coach. This organization hasn't had many of those.

Give him a real 2nd line to work with and he'll have this team humming.
There isn't much he can do with the current roster, the goalies give up 4+ almost nightly, the depth scoring is insanely bad, throw in no Landy for 2 years, Nuke can't stay clean, Girard missed a month for his issues, Lehk missed 35 games. Couple that with having to deal with a grossly incompetent GM who refuses to even consider getting him any useable pieces and it's an almost impossible uphill battle.

Bednar all things considered is doing a damn fine job, if he was fired we'd suffer and he'd get picked up within a week and have his new team playing well.

I will say however, his assistants should be worried. Most likely they won't get axed mid year but if we have a short playoffs or no playoffs, still very possible if CMac continues to sit on this trash ass roster, they will most likely be shown the door.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Gallant come on down.
George was trash, pretty standard at least 2 of the goals he gave up were Charmin soft. Put us so far behind the 8 ball since the fist two shots he faced went in. Both completely saveable. Especially the first one where a u10 player could have made the stop.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not going to win many games when the goalie isn’t making stops and the team goes completely dead on the power play.

Avs can’t really win unless MacKinnon goes into God mode. Maybe getting a 2C would help.

Sammy had a fantastic game. Everyone else sucked.

Yeah, MacKinnon and Makar with off nights, and chances are the Avs are gonna lose these days. They've been carrying the team all year.

Selfishly wish they had more time off during the All Star break to help reset. They've played a lot of hockey, and even Bednar has admitted he's played Nate too much lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad