GDT: COL @ ARI: Links By Day; Pucks By Night (9ET / 7MT)

Golfer Check! How good of a golfer are you?

• I've shot under par more than once

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single digit handicap

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • If I shoot over 100, it's a VERY bad day

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Uhh....I'm just here to drive the cart and hit on the beer cart girl

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Yeah....find me in the clubhouse

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
And man some Avs fans just make us look bad. Guy in front of me with a Roy jersey on was bitching for a good 5 minutes about how could we be "struggling against the league's worst team". Coyote fan told him to STFU and go check the standings once in his life. Dumb Avs fan says something stupid like he wants to fight and then goes off to buy another beer. Just before the end of the second this guy was wobbling and almost fell over into the next row. Unfortunately in preventing his fall he dropped a full beer onto another Avs fan and there was almost a fight there. Some people should just go to a bar instead of pay $100+ to watch hockey games but what do I know?

Yeah, but I didn’t fall, did I?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Wasn’t Byram good to start the season when Avs went 6-0? Then the entire team struggled for a little bit. Now a lot of you are ready to get rid of Bo but if I recall correctly some of you didn’t want Toews resigned because we had Byram.

Seriously just chill and give it time. Byram should be fine. If he struggles all season then maybe we can talk about getting rid of him in the offseason

Yes, Byram was their best defenseman analytically until about game 10. That's about when Girard dropped off a cliff (and probably into a bottle) and Byram followed right behind him. Since then Byram has had a few great nights on his own but he's definitely having a rough go of it that last month. However, analytically he's still averaging out better than Toews on a nightly basis.

1701438216582.png

I actually thought Byram was fine tonight. His mistakes, though, are glaring and costing the Avs goals.

That's because he was. He was the best Avs player on the ice analytically. He lost his guy in 3v3 OT and had to take a penalty. Like we've never seen 9/96/8/7 do that before. But because it's Byram we're going to light him on fire for it.

Cale Makar should be the one answering some questions after last night. He did his best Tyson Barrie impression that game.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Performances like this have become too common and quite frankly is unacceptable.

View attachment 776116

That's a lot of money actively hurting the team right now.

What are you talking about? Makar is the leader in the Hart trophy race.

Nate and Mikko have been underwhelming for a little while now, but are both top ten in league scoring. Nichushkin’s been a scoring machine recently.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What's up with so many Avalanche fans at the Coyotes home game? I saw many Avs jerseys too. When Coyotes had the puck behind their own net for a few seconds people started booing. Pretty nuts.

Must have been a lot of Avalanche fans.

Reactions: JudoKoala

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
This is the production of the second line this season at 5v5:

Drouin: 4 points
Johansen: 4 points
Tatar : 6 points (no goals)

So that’s 14 points in 66 games from the second line at even strength. Pretty easy to see where the issue is right now.

That and obviously missing bodies takes a toll.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
What's up with so many Avalanche fans at the Coyotes home game? I saw many Avs jerseys too. When Coyotes had the puck behind their own net for a few seconds people started booing. Pretty nuts.

Must have been a lot of Avalanche fans.

There are a lot of Denver transplants in Phoenix.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mistakes don't always have to be as glaring as his have been this season.

Letting guys sneak behind you because you fell asleep, taking penalties because you are lazy. These are easily avoidable mistakes but he keeps making them.
I think the issue is that this isn't necessarily a new thing for Byram though. People are just noticing it more now, last year Bo was still a bit of an adventure but was producing a little more so it wasn't noticed. Now he's the same adventure defensively, not producing, and can't stay out of the box. It's a concerning trend considering we've seen him simplify his game and play at such a high level in the cup run. If he wants to run and gun and try and score that's fine but he can't do that here.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

So that’s 14 points in 66 games from the second line at even strength. Pretty easy to see where the issue is right now.

66 games? Season is flying by!

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
How are people arguing that call? He is on a breakaway and Byram slashes the middle of his stick to ensure he can't get a shot off. A slashing penalty isn't limited to just hands and body.

It was the correct call.
Disagree. Mack and Cale get their hands chopped off every breakaway they get. I’d say 15% of those are called. This wasn’t a slash

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Yeah for the Avs to really get through the playoffs, this will simply have to improve.

Thought the injuries... those are simply going to be there. They always are with the Avs.

Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't get the Byram hate. I mean, nobody is enamored with the delay of game stuff, and he seriously needs to clean that up post haste; but I don't think he's been nearly as bad as his detractors make him out to be. In the interest of fairness, he also is not playing up to the level we've seen in the past. It's more of him not being great combined with the delay of game stuff that has people overreacting, I think.

For the record, outside of briefly during our cup run, I've never seen Byram as a #1 but more of that guy you will need, if playing to his capabilities, on the second pair if you want to go far.
I get some of the criticism towards him, if you're drafting a player in the top 5, you are trusting that player has the ability to be either be a starting goaler, a top-pairing defenceman, or a 1st line centre in most draft years. Yes, there are some years where the talent isn't good, but hockey development has gotten good enough where that should be the norm and Byram isn't even a capable mid-pairing player at this current point in time (lack of confidence can do that). It's worse when you have other defenders outperforming him by large margins that were drafted in the same draft and a couple of spots afterward. If Seider is #1, Byram should be around that level of talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get some of the criticism towards him, if you're drafting a player in the top 5, you are trusting that player has the ability to be either be a starting goaler, a top-pairing defenceman, or a 1st line centre in most draft years. Yes, there are some years where the talent isn't good, but hockey development has gotten good enough where that should be the norm and Byram isn't even a capable mid-pairing player at this current point in time (lack of confidence can do that). It's worse when you have other defenders outperforming him by large margins that were drafted in the same draft and a couple of spots afterward. If Seider is #1, Byram should be around that level of talent.
Yeah as a top 5 pick, the fact is he should already be a clear cut, established top pairing defensemen. People will talk about age, games, injuries, etc... but we have players drafted in years after him performing better and those drafted after him. This isn't a Juolevi situation... but it might be a Dumba situation.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Yeah as a top 5 pick, the fact is he should already be a clear cut, established top pairing defensemen. People will talk about age, games, injuries, etc... but we have players drafted in years after him performing better and those drafted after him. This isn't a Juolevi situation... but it might be a Dumba situation.
I don't know how you expect him to be a clear top pairing defenseman right now. Injuries completely stunted his development. You actually need to play games, to gain experience. He has not been able to do that. With his current cap hit I'm more than willing to wait on him. It's not like we're going to find another top four defense then for $3 million.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Mullett Arena is a fun one day experience, but holy shit. The NHL needs to get it together here.
True but you know it's like the NHL experience without the lousy corporate types being around enforcing a boring environment closest to the ice. Best way I can describe it is it's like you bring the energy found in the upper level and put it next to the ice.

Yeah it doesn't work financially for long but man it's a great place to watch a game. Fans are more into it and unlike games in minor league arenas most people know hockey rules and don't whine about why the guys don't fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad