Confirmed with Link: COL acquire F Vlad Namestnikov from OTT for 2021 4th round pick

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m loving him. His two way play in particular is very noticible but he has a lot to offer with the puck too, especially in transition.

There was a play last night where he was streaking through the neutral zone and entered the o-zone with Mackinnon pretty much right beside him. Every other player on the team would hand that puck off to Nate and even the Sharks D expected the pass but Namestnikov pulled a little toe’y himself on the entry and created a great opportunity. Love that confidence.

His play off the rush is an ideal fit for our team and his play away from the puck is very positive addition to our lineup. He fits like a glove. He’s a pass first guy who wins puck battles so I think he’d look great on a line with two shooters in Kadri and Burakovsky.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I’m loving him. His two way play in particular is very noticible but he has a lot to offer with the puck too, especially in transition.

There was a play last night where he was streaking through the neutral zone and entered the o-zone with Mackinnon pretty much right beside him. Every other player on the team would hand that puck off to Nate and even the Sharks D expected the pass but Namestnikov pulled a little toe’y himself on the entry and created a great opportunity. Love that confidence.

His play off the rush is an ideal fit for our team and his play away from the puck is very positive addition to our lineup. He fits like a glove. He’s a pass first guy who wins puck battles so I think he’d look great on a line with two shooters in Kadri and Burakovsky.

I want to see a Nuke - Kadri - Mikko line first lol.

I'd have to do a cap friendly roster, but I'm actually a little sad Namaste likely won't stay. How many 3rd liners making 3t4M can we have lol.

Landy - Mack- Nameste
Nuke - Kadri - Mikko
Don - Jost - Bura
Calvert - PEB - JTC

I like both the left and right side quite a bit when healthy. No matter how you mix it up.

Hopefully the game 1 lineup looks something like that.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I'd have to do a cap friendly roster, but I'm actually a little sad Namaste likely won't stay. How many 3rd liners making 3t4M can we have lol.

Landy - Mack- Nameste
Nuke - Kadri - Mikko
Don - Jost - Bura
Calvert - PEB - JTC

I like both the left and right side quite a bit when healthy. No matter how you mix it up.

Dong and Mikko looked like they had a bit of chemistry when they've been put together, and Nuke/Bura work really well off of each other. I'd like to see those pairs kept together.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018

Landy - Mack- Nameste
Nuke - Kadri - Mikko
Don - Jost - Bura
Calvert - PEB - JTC

Assuming Namestnikov keeps up his level of play with MacK and Landy I'd like to see:

Landy - Mack- Nameste
Bura-Kadri-Mikko
Calvert-Jost-Nuke
Don-PEB-JTC

• First line is what it is - combo of good, skilled two-way play from the wings to complement MacK
  • Second line is Mikko setting up two shooters (or Mikko and Bura setting up Kadri depending on whether Bura feels like passing)
  • Jost gets two guys who hound the puck like crazy and are also pretty good at keeping possession
  • PEB gets Don and JTC who seem to have pretty solid chemistry together.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The issue with Namestnikov in Tampa was that he was suddenly going to cost a lot more because he's a solid complimentary player and was having a great season scoring between Stammer and Kuch. Tampa used that chip to send him to the Rags. The Rags quickly found out that Namestnikov is a complimentary player and not a drivers... on a team that didn't have drivers. Ottawa was trying to shield their young players and potentially get a quick buck in a swap, asked to be a driver and wasn't real successful. Here where is a asked to be a 3rd wheel again, he's successful. IMO if you want him to work well, you keep him as a 3rd wheel in the top 6. There you get a solid defensive and PK player who will contribute in the dirty areas and won't hurt a line. If you use him as a driver in the bottom 6, all you get is a solid defensive player who can PK.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Dong and Mikko looked like they had a bit of chemistry when they've been put together, and Nuke/Bura work really well off of each other. I'd like to see those pairs kept together.

Landeskog & MacK
Nuke & Kadri
Calvert & PEB

Those are the ones I'd like to see kept together lol. They form the defensive responsibility needed to match up against top competition. Everyone else can just fit in where ever depending on who is hot or not.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Landeskog- MacK- Nam
Burakovsky - Kadri - Rants
Donskoi - Jost (or a real 3C) - Nuke
Calvert - PEB - JTC

That would be a dominating forward group.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Landeskog- MacK- Nam
Burakovsky - Kadri - Rants
Donskoi - Jost (or a real 3C) - Nuke
Calvert - PEB - JTC

That would be a dominating forward group.

I just can't see Bura and Mikko on the same line, and I think there is a reason we haven't seen it much. Someone has to play defense on a second line. Especially at home.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I just can't see Bura and Mikko on the same line, and I think there is a reason we haven't seen it much. Someone has to play defense on a second line. Especially at home.

You might be right. I'd personally want to keep those four wingers in the top six though.. maybe swap Landeskog and Burakovsky?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like the guy, primarily because he's pretty solid defensively and fills a much, much-needed role by simply parking himself in front of the net and actually knowing what to do there.

That said, yeah, he's a complementary player, so the price tag would concern me.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I was super excited when he was acquired, especially for such a low price. With Nieto, Wilson, and Barberio coming off the books I would love to see the Avs make a pitch to keep him. I know they have some raises to hand out both big (Burakovsky, Graves), medium (Nichuskin, Zadorov), and small (Jost) but I would think they would still have the cap space.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Landy - Mack - Namaste (this line is working now)
Nuke - Kadri - Bura (this line was working before the injuries)
Jost - JTC - Rants (allows Rantanen to get back in game shape on the third line while hopefully continuing to tap into Jost playing better)
Calvert - PEB - Nieto

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I had a look at his contract to see what he might cost. Hopefully the 4 million (dollars) (per season) he got from the Rangers has set him up for life and he's happy with a nice Wilson contract for a few years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You might be right. I'd personally want to keep those four wingers in the top six though.. maybe swap Landeskog and Burakovsky?

Every time it has been tried it really has not worked all that well. It wasn't that long though either time.

Another reason I don't think Nameste stays. There really is only room for one guy that is a third wheel. Especially with neither Mikko or Bura being great defensively.

We can't pay Bura 5M and then slot him on the third line either I'd imagine. Nuke is too valuable in driving play the right direction to leave on third line IMO. Kadri needed him badly and when it finally happened sparks flew. Don - Kadri - Bura never looked nearly as good as Nuke - Kadri - Bura. We only got to see it for two or three games though before Kadri went down.

Nuke just creates space like now one else outside of our top line.

Reactions: Murzu

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
His last contract makes it difficult to re-sign him.
Yep. If we offer less than what he's making now, he's gonna want to test UFA to see if he can beat that. He won't take a hometown discount for a team he's been with for three months.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The open market value should be over $4m for him... maybe pushing up to 4.5m. He's as productive, if not more than Dong, he can play more positions (even if he hasn't consistently played center in a while teams like that versatility), and can play top line minutes when around two good players. He's not going to be a top 5 choice for any team to sign, but a team that needs forward depth, he's a value signing sort in that 2nd/3rd tier of free agency.

Reactions: cgf

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he is most likely gone after this season, but if he love it in Denver don’t count out a one-year deal.

The Avs probably don’t want to commit to a guy like Namestnikov long-term, but one-year deals are a good way to weaponize your cap space.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I know Namestnikov is playing well, but I don't think you accommodate just him on the top line. Go with proven chemistry:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Nichushkin
Namestnikov - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher

You could double shift him, from time to time, and play him on specialty units.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know Namestnikov is playing well, but I don't think you accommodate just him on the top line. Go with proven chemistry:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Nichushkin
Namestnikov - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher

You could double shift him, from time to time, and play him on specialty units.

I keep thinking that if they're gonna keep him, then Compher is the guy who goes. And honestly...I'm not entirely opposed to that.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Imo, if you’re able to switch up the top line without affecting its efficiency, it’s a no brainer.

If Vlad can keep up the production, and his line mates aren’t suffering offensively, you’re better off keeping him there. He provides goal scoring, and defensive play.

It allows us to be far more versatile and to run 3 quality lines all capable of beating a team on a given night.

Sooooo much harder to game plan against than stacking the one line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad