Confirmed with Link: COL acquire F Vlad Namestnikov from OTT for 2021 4th round pick

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
That's a real bad distillation of what actually took place. Barrie did not just feed the puck to MacKinnon, he had (and probably still does have) a very effective shot from the point. Makar's is still not quite on the same level, though it's getting there. Makar is indeed better at moving in tight spaces and finding lanes, but Barrie just knew how to get his shot through traffic. I'd also say that Makar is the better passer.

That’s fair. I was really only meaning to address their distribution, but knowing when the puck needs to go on net is half the battle. That was when Makar turned the corner on the PP and also why I wouldn’t call MacK the ppqb, he’s going to the net 95% of the time if they’re giving him that option.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The guy patrolling the blueline doesn't need to be the primary QB for a PP, but it's really important to have that last man back be able to QB the PP. Even when not the primary QB on a unit that guy ends up with the puck on his stick a lot and has to be comfortable walking that line when keeping pucks in, or you'll see that unit really struggling to maintain control.

Sammy's shot is worse than Barrie's was at the same (st)age, but if he can make similar progress (from that lower starting point) with his shot, he would become a highly effective PP guy. Spurgeon is another smurf who turned his shot into a weapon once already in his prime, and in the process added a lot to his game / the impact he was able to make.

That all said, I do expect Timmins (or Byram) to take over that spot before Samwise's shot comes around, as well.

Aaaaand you lost me.

MacK handles the puck about as much as Makar maybe but one is dictating the flow more than the other.

That's not true, unless you believe JTC QBs the 2nd unit.

The QB is generally the guy who goes back and gets the puck and starts with it, and then anchors the point. Just because the Avs utilize the drop pass with MacKinnon does not mean he "quarterbacks" the power play. And recently they've tried to switch that up and make lateral passes in the NZ to free things up.

There have been forwards in the past who QB'd the power play, Ray Whitney and Daniel Alfredsson are the most recent examples I can think of. But with so many puckmoving D in today's game I really can't remember the last team to do that.

But the point is, Graves cannot be on the power play--he isn't good enough. He can't pass well enough, isn't good enough with his shot to get it through traffic consistently, and he isn't nearly good enough defensively in the event of a shorthanded break. Like it or not, Sammy is the 2nd best option on the 2nd unit power play, especially one that barely gets used. EJ would be the next-best option. Graves would be behind him, followed by Z, and then Cole (though Cole was on that crazy scoring binge for a while so...).

I think we're all getting caught up in different definitions of the term "Powerplay QB"

I define it as the player who handles the puck and lot a dictates what play is going to be made. He would generally be the one who gets a play started, and will be the one with the puck on their stick while everyone else is getting in position. In my definition, it has nothing (ZERO) to do with who carries the puck into the zone and who goes back to retrieve it. If we can agree to that definition, I hope we can agree that the defenseman does not need to be the QB, and on our first powerplay unit, MacKinnon is the QB. I can't say who the QB is for the 2nd unit because it changes so often - it usually seems to be Sammy though.

Basically, Makar could easily be a PPQB, but he defers to MacKinnon. Sammy makes a pretty good QB, but his shot doesn't scare anyone. Graves would suck as the PPQB, but as a complimentary guy there to make simple passes as shoot the puck, I think he'd be a good addition and more useful than Sammy (assuming there were other guys like Kadri or Bura who could be the QB).

As for Graves defensively, in the kinds of defensive situations on the powerplay, I'd actually prefer Graves' reach and size for breaking up plays.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think we're all getting caught up in different definitions of the term "Powerplay QB"

I define it as the player who handles the puck and lot a dictates what play is going to be made. He would generally be the one who gets a play started, and will be the one with the puck on their stick while everyone else is getting in position. In my definition, it has nothing (ZERO) to do with who carries the puck into the zone and who goes back to retrieve it. If we can agree to that definition, I hope we can agree that the defenseman does not need to be the QB, and on our first powerplay unit, MacKinnon is the QB. I can't say who the QB is for the 2nd unit because it changes so often - it usually seems to be Sammy though.

Basically, Makar could easily be a PPQB, but he defers to MacKinnon. Sammy makes a pretty good QB, but his shot doesn't scare anyone. Graves would suck as the PPQB, but as a complimentary guy there to make simple passes as shoot the puck, I think he'd be a good addition and more useful than Sammy (assuming there were other guys like Kadri or Bura who could be the QB).

As for Graves defensively, in the kinds of defensive situations on the powerplay, I'd actually prefer Graves' reach and size for breaking up plays.

Graves has size and reach but he doesn't have the best technique and positional sense. There's a reason he isn't trusted back there by himself.

And by the traditional definition of a PPQB, Makar is a PPQB. I get what point you're making here but what the Avs do to move it up the ice is really not that different than what a lot of teams do.

I would like to see someone ice a power play with five forwards though. Vegas up and iced six forwards when the pulled the goalie in the playoffs last year I believe, and I am all about coaches trying new and crazy ideas.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Graves has size and reach but he doesn't have the best technique and positional sense. There's a reason he isn't trusted back there by himself.

And by the traditional definition of a PPQB, Makar is a PPQB. I get what point you're making here but what the Avs do to move it up the ice is really not that different than what a lot of teams do.

I would like to see someone ice a power play with five forwards though. Vegas up and iced six forwards when the pulled the goalie in the playoffs last year I believe, and I am all about coaches trying new and crazy ideas.

Uh, no I don't think you get the point I'm making if you're still referencing what the Avs do to move the puck up the ice. I very clearly defined how I'm using the PPQB term, and by my definition it is not related to the player who carries the puck into the zone.

But I don't care what term you call the positions (PPQB or not) - I think Graves would be just fine as the guy who mans the point on the powerplay but does not carry the puck into the zone.

Also, Graves is our most trusted penalty killer. He's the guys the coach sends out for 5 on 3 situations where we only use 1 defenseman. He's literally the guy the coaches trust most to be back there by himself. So you couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of his defensive abilities. And that's besides the fact that he wouldn't be on the powerplay for his defensive abilities - he'd be there for his shot. Plus, In the same comment where you're advocating for 5 forwards, you're trying to argue Graves doesn't belong on the powerplay because he's not good enough defensively. Make up your mind - is defensive ability important or not?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This guy gets rocked like Kamenev every game, lol.

He made that first goal last night with his forecheck on Svechnikov, causing the turnover right to Makar. Well done.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

We’re fully on the same page as to what constitutes a PPQB, I simply disagree with your stance that MacK is playing that role for PP1. I also gave reasons why, which you’ve either missed or disregarded.

As for Makar on the PK, it would be fun to watch until Makar breaks something blocking a shot. Not worth the added risk imo, especially all regular season, playoffs maybe.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Watching Makar play the top of the box on the pk would be very fun to watch. Those aren’t the minutes he needs right now though. Maybe in a season or two once he has adapted to the 82 game season and is better conditioned for big time minutes

no one gets blown up as bad a kamanev lol

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Uh, no I don't think you get the point I'm making if you're still referencing what the Avs do to move the puck up the ice. I very clearly defined how I'm using the PPQB term, and by my definition it is not related to the player who carries the puck into the zone.

But I don't care what term you call the positions (PPQB or not) - I think Graves would be just fine as the guy who mans the point on the powerplay but does not carry the puck into the zone.

Also, Graves is our most trusted penalty killer. He's the guys the coach sends out for 5 on 3 situations where we only use 1 defenseman. He's literally the guy the coaches trust most to be back there by himself. So you couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of his defensive abilities. And that's besides the fact that he wouldn't be on the powerplay for his defensive abilities - he'd be there for his shot. Plus, In the same comment where you're advocating for 5 forwards, you're trying to argue Graves doesn't belong on the powerplay because he's not good enough defensively. Make up your mind - is defensive ability important or not?

And the Avs' PK is horrendous, so that doesn't mean much TBH.

And I didn't just "disqualify" Graves anchoring a power play just because of his lack of sound defensive technique, he's also not great at passing, and I still don't think he's getting that shot through traffic well enough. They're utilizing him the best way they can at present. I don't love him on the penalty kill but I'll admit he's the best option among the defenders they use, and I've said before I think the coaches are messing him up a little. He was MUCH better on the PK when he first came up to the NHL and was far more aggressive in the corners.

Anyway, we're just going in circles now. He's simply not a better option than Sammy on the power play just because he happens to have a better shot.

As far as using five forwards, I don't see why you think I'm being contradictory. If you can roll out a power play with five forwards, one would think at least one of them would be reasonably good in all three zones. I think Graves is too prone to bad passes and turnovers to be a PPQB and I also don't think he's got a good enough technique defensively. I think if you put him out there you're practically begging for shorthanded chances against.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
And the Avs' PK is horrendous, so that doesn't mean much TBH.

And I didn't just "disqualify" Graves anchoring a power play just because of his lack of sound defensive technique, he's also not great at passing, and I still don't think he's getting that shot through traffic well enough. They're utilizing him the best way they can at present. I don't love him on the penalty kill but I'll admit he's the best option among the defenders they use, and I've said before I think the coaches are messing him up a little. He was MUCH better on the PK when he first came up to the NHL and was far more aggressive in the corners.

Anyway, we're just going in circles now. He's simply not a better option than Sammy on the power play just because he happens to have a better shot.

As far as using five forwards, I don't see why you think I'm being contradictory. If you can roll out a power play with five forwards, one would think at least one of them would be reasonably good in all three zones. I think Graves is too prone to bad passes and turnovers to be a PPQB and I also don't think he's got a good enough technique defensively. I think if you put him out there you're practically begging for shorthanded chances against.

I agree we're going in circles. You seem to think Graves shot doesn't matter on the PP (which is my main reason for wanting him there) and you think we have forwards who you'd want on PP2 who are also better defensively than Graves. I don't see where this discussion can go if we don't agree on such basics things.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I agree we're going in circles. You seem to think Graves shot doesn't matter on the PP (which is my main reason for wanting him there) and you think we have forwards who you'd want on PP2 who are also better defensively than Graves. I don't see where this discussion can go if we don't agree on such basics things.
I think Graves biggest issue is that you want a guy who can handle the puck well and make quick decisions without losing the puck. I don't think he's quick enough decision wise to be an effective player that mans the blue line on a PP without having some issues back there as he can't only just sit back there and one time it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I'm not sure I said I want the Avs to use forwards in PP2 ahead of Graves, I did say I would like to see a team in the NHL try an all-forward power play, but I never said I wanted the Avs to try that. Vegas did and they were right to do so since they had a suspect blueline and amazing talent up front.

I just don't think Graves would be a good anchor on the PP, sorry.

There are definitely forwards on the roster better defensively than Graves, but that's a waaaaay different discussion and I'm not advocating anyone switch positions or anything silly like that.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think Graves biggest issue is that you want a guy who can handle the puck well and make quick decisions without losing the puck. I don't think he's quick enough decision wise to be an effective player that mans the blue line on a PP without having some issues back there as he can't only just sit back there and one time it.

That's a decent response. I agree that at 5 on 5 he's not the best guy in that way. By thinking is that if gets put on the powerplay and gets to practise it, then over time he'll get better and better in 5 on 4 situations. That being said, he seems to be pretty good at 5 on five. In the last game I was thinking about this argument and watched him closely, and he never really bad a bad decision, made good passes, and got his shot on the net, or at least past the first blocker. I saw nothing in the Nashville game that said he wouldn't make a good PP guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's a decent response. I agree that at 5 on 5 he's not the best guy in that way. By thinking is that if gets put on the powerplay and gets to practise it, then over time he'll get better and better in 5 on 4 situations. That being said, he seems to be pretty good at 5 on five. In the last game I was thinking about this argument and watched him closely, and he never really bad a bad decision, made good passes, and got his shot on the net, or at least past the first blocker. I saw nothing in the Nashville game that said he wouldn't make a good PP guy.

Really? Because I did. Even Makar had a little trouble handling the forechecker they sent in when they were on the PK. Graves definitely would have issues with that.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This man loves him some greasy goals and that’s not a bad thing at all. You need guys who are always looking to go to the front of the net.

Reactions: Avs_19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's been as advertised so far. Good motor, chips in offensively. Great value for the price.

Reactions: Avs_19

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Really liked that goal he had against the Wings. 2 guys draped on him in the crease and he still manages to kick the puck to his stick and score.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's been as advertised so far. Good motor, chips in offensively. Great value for the price.
I'm almost sad that we probably won't keep him next season. We've been looking for this type of "garbage goal" scorer for quite a long time.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On a team full of guys looking to snipe top corner every time, a player like Namestnikov really is a welcome addition.

He reminds me of a poor man's Gallagher. Small guy with no fear and a nose for the net.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He already has more points than Brassard did last year, with 5 points in 7 games. I get Brass didn't have quite the same opportunity to play with the big boys, but still good to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad