Friedman: Cody Glass was likely the hold up on Karlsson to vegas trade

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
While Pettersson is overrated somewhat, why is that funny? After you lose Karlsson, what do you even have ?

Lol Jesus. Karlsson is part of our team first of all. It was implied not even Karlsson is worth Petersson. Then you have Stone who is worth considerably more. A signed Duchene is another prime piece. Chabot obviously. Plus a few blue chippers coming up. And Hoffman. So what do you mean when you say we have nothing?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It wasn’t just Glass...Friedman said at the deadline the believed discussion was two 1sts, a top prospect, and a conditional pick. Obviously they couldn’t agree on that prospect (Ottawa seemingly wanted Glass), likely linked to Ryan’s inclusion since I believe another insider mentioned that they couldn’t agree just how to balance Ryan’s inclusion.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Certainly don't blame Vegas balking on having Glass part of the discussion. Glass is on track to be at the very least an excellent 2C and could very well be a 70 point 1C in his prime. Not too shabby for the first ever pick for an expansion team.

Reactions: Curufinwe

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I don't want you to take this the wrong way because Stone is great but calling Stone a PPG guy is embellishing a bit.

60-something point, Selke type winger? Absolutely. And that is a very good player. A point per game guy? No. That isn't accurate when guys miss over a quarter of the season.

(For the record I wouldn't call William Karlsson a PPG Selke type guy either, even with the pace he set this year because it's only one year.)

I don't really understand this. If Stone was like Duchene (very streaky) I would, but was and has been very consistent. He is absolutely a PPG player. He had 62 points in 58 games? Is it his fault he got hurt? He could have played like trash and still hit 75 easily (pretty darn close to PPG) all while being one of the best defensive wingers in the game.

If Karlsson was dealt and Glass was a part of the package he would be right up there with Pettersson, as he was last year.

Also 4th overall this year, Zadina/Hughes likely, would be just as valuable.

And to the guy who said Ottawa has nothing Vancouver would give up Pettersson for; if Dorion offered Karlsson straight up for Pettersson, Benning would start screaming "YES" whilst laughing and crying all at the same time. (honestly they'd probably think about offering Pettersson+ if they landed Tavares)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Certainly don't blame Vegas balking on having Glass part of the discussion. Glass is on track to be at the very least an excellent 2C and could very well be a 70 point 1C in his prime. Not too shabby for the first ever pick for an expansion team.

Yeah, who needs an 80 point defenseman right now when you could very well have a 70 point 1C in a few years?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't really understand this. If Stone was like Duchene (very streaky) I would, but was and has been very consistent. He is absolutely a PPG player. He had 62 points in 58 games? Is it his fault he got hurt? He could have played like trash and still hit 75 easily (pretty darn close to PPG) all while being one of the best defensive wingers in the game.

If Karlsson was dealt and Glass was a part of the package he would be right up there with Pettersson, as he was last year.

Also 4th overall this year, Zadina/Hughes likely, would be just as valuable.

And to the guy who said Ottawa has nothing Vancouver would give up Pettersson for; if Dorion offered Karlsson straight up for Pettersson, Benning would start screaming "YES" whilst laughing and crying all at the same time. (honestly they'd probably think about offering Pettersson+ if they landed Tavares)

Calling him a PPG player means that's what the expectation is from him for seasons going forward. I don't think there's enough evidence for that yet.

He's only proven that through 3/4 of one season so far. His highest season point total is 64. I don't think calling that a PPG player at this moment is accurate.

If he gets another year of 70 points in 75 games or 75 points in 80 games then I think it would be more accurate. And I'm not saying I don't think he'll be able do that just that it isn't his value as yet.

Same for William Karlsson on our side, although Stone has more seasons of production around the 60 point mark that you would be more confident in him getting to 70 points in the future based on his previous body of work.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Lol Jesus. Karlsson is part of our team first of all. It was implied not even Karlsson is worth Petersson. Then you have Stone who is worth considerably more. A signed Duchene is another prime piece. Chabot obviously. Plus a few blue chippers coming up. And Hoffman. So what do you mean when you say we have nothing?

Karlsson will leave , stone will sign an offer sheet, Duchene sucks, Pettersson will be better than Chabot ... hehe did I answer ur questions good sir ??

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If LVK wantsKarlsson they will have to start with Glass. He is by far their most interesting prospect.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It wasn’t just Glass...Friedman said at the deadline the believed discussion was two 1sts, a top prospect, and a conditional pick. Obviously they couldn’t agree on that prospect (Ottawa seemingly wanted Glass), likely linked to Ryan’s inclusion since I believe another insider mentioned that they couldn’t agree just how to balance Ryan’s inclusion.

In the end of the day it is 3 firsts and a conditional pick. That is less than an offersheet would bring. Especially when you consider the firsts being in the 20-31 range. Glass would be a key piece in that trade.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah, who needs an 80 point defenseman right now when you could very well have a 70 point 1C in a few years?

he's a 80 point dman right now? news to me. He's also a UFA next season so, we won't trade Pettersson for him and it's perfectly normal to think this way.

anyways, McPhee did the right call hanging onto Glass if it's true. Karlsson is a UFA next season, and there was no certainty he was going to sign in Vegas. On top of that I don't think Karlsson would have helped them win a cup anyways. Captials were just the better team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Send him to Vancouver for gudbranson and the 7th overall pick this draft plus something else

that something else would have to be petersson lol

7th OA is a good start. Gudbranson is worth a late 2nd/early 3rd
there needs to be at least another high 1st/top prospect added

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I can't blame Vegas for not trading Cody Glass, I think one day he'll be a stud for Vegas. Happy this wasn't the prospect they were talking about sending, but have been Suzuki.

Also, Vegas has all the time in the world to be patient with Glass as they have all the good players that'll bring fans in the stands for a long time. Let Glass dominate junior one more season and another in the AHL before bringing him up to Vegas. I truly think after Glass is fully developed he'll be a fan favourite in Vegas for a very long... time.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
he's a 80 point dman right now? news to me. He's also a UFA next season so, we won't trade Pettersson for him and it's perfectly normal to think this way.

anyways, McPhee did the right call hanging onto Glass if it's true. Karlsson is a UFA next season, and there was no certainty he was going to sign in Vegas. On top of that I don't think Karlsson would have helped them win a cup anyways. Captials were just the better team.

Claiming 80 straight up is a little high, although he did hit 82 a couple of years ago. He had that season, plus 3 more seasons between 71 and 78, and one at 66. Plus he was on pace for 72 this year in his "down" year. I'd say he's 75. Could easily hit 80 though.

Bart22

Apr 9, 2018
Wouldn't trade Glass for Karlsson purely because of the 1 year left on control. Would two firsts and Suzuki be enough to get a deal done?

If Karlsson re-signed for 5-6 years or gave that guarantee to Vegas then I don't think Ottawa do the deal without Glass.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Shoulda pulled the trigger. I guess that’s an easy call now seeing that they didn’t get bounced in the first round. I wonder if now they’ll overcompensate at the next deadline with a worse team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think this is gonna be a recurring issue for Ottawa. No one is going to want to send them a top end prospect without the assurance that Karlsson will re-sign.
And after July 1st, what prevents the Sens from allowing teams to talk to EK?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
dont get me wrong, Elliott Friedman was at one point a very credible hockey insider, but since starting 30/31 thoughts, Friedman has lost a lot of credibility... he just throw shit at the wall and hope that it sticks, you know just like Eklown was doing a couple years back

To me this is bullshit

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And after July 1st, what prevents the Sens from allowing teams to talk to EK?

And maybe after July 1st Ottawa will get better offers? That still doesn’t change what I said.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Vegas better hope that Cody Glass turns out to be a star. Anything but being one of the better top 6 forwards in the league and this non-trade will get ripped to shreds.

Reactions: Neiler

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That makes sense--Vegas would have no idea whether or not they could resign him unless they were given permission by the sens
Do you actually think a team wont have permission to speak to Karlsson before pulling the trigger?.... HF wishfull thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad