Cody Eakin hit on Lundqvist (UPD: Suspended 4 games)

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I was thinking 5 , many were saying 3. It seems like the NHL got this one right.

Enough games to make players think twice before running goalies. Until they change the rules to say the goalies are fair game (I don't personally think it will happen) this kind of thing can't be tolerated.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm sure it would be more if he had any sort of history. I guessed 5 games but 4 is okay.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
This league is an absolute joke. Nothing ever changes.

I get that Eakin is generally an honest player who doesn't even play that sort of game, but this was deserving of 5+ easily.

The majority of the penalty should reflect the hit itself, and not player history.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Considering that the DOPS does nothing more often than not, 4 games is pretty good. At least he's been suspended.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Two rookies were closest to Hank when it happened. Skjei had a full cage on because he got injured last game and Vesey skated after him but then i dont know what he did, Nash went after him after that but then the ref jumped in. I dont mind it, we got a 5 min pp and we answered by winning the game 2-0. Perfect response imo

The Rangers absolutely embarrassed themselves by not responding. AV and his whole get them back on the power play style is garbage

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
This league is an absolute joke. Nothing ever changes.

I get that Eakin is generally an honest player who doesn't even play that sort of game, but this was deserving of 5+ easily.

The majority of the penalty should reflect the hit itself, and not player history.

So 4 games is a joke but 5 is acceptable? Not much middle ground there

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Disgusting punishment, hope the league understands this sets a precedent. Good luck with the goalie injuries to come when the games really matter. Joke league...

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
I know its not part of the CBA but I always thought that a suspension should include missing the next game against the infracted team as long as that player is on the same team.

Say Eakins does this to Hank and then the Stars play the Pens and Caps the next two games. It actually helps our rivals which seems wrong.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
So 4 games is a joke but 5 is acceptable? Not much middle ground there

The "joke" part has more to do with the inconsistency from event to event, and general favorability towards the aggressor and not the victim.

Nobody has any clue anymore as to if and how long any hit will get reviewed or suspended. "Wheel of Justice"

Completely goes against the actual purpose of the DOPS.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know its not part of the CBA but I always thought that a suspension should include missing the next game against the infracted team as long as that player is on the same team.

Say Eakins does this to Hank and then the Stars play the Pens and Caps the next two games. It actually helps our rivals which seems wrong.

The way Eakin has been playing this season removing him from the lineup actually improves his team.

By the way its EAKIN not Eakins ...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Before announcement I said five games was being very heavy handed, four games is still a bit tough. I thought it would of been more like two games, maybe three.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seems reasonable. I don't believe Eakin was headhunting but it was a reckless play, and he's responsible for it. Fair decision.

redfzn

Nov 12, 2007
NYC
bmcccuny.facebook.com
I can easily see 8 with my glasses off, but whatever. Just something else I really have no control over anyway.

Hoping someone runs Eakin hard throughout the course of the season, as we have no emotion on our club.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
If I were to give Eakin the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not necessarily doing that, I'd say that he wasn't intentionally just trying to hit Lundqvist but rather skate passed him. It looks as though he tried to get in as close to the boards as possible to go passed, but there just wasn't enough or any room, so he just skated right through Lundqvist. Still, no justification at all for doing that, bowling Lundqvist over in the process.

A 4-game suspension sounds about right, but 6 would've been acceptable as well.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't like how goalies are untouchable in this league. If they have the puck and they aren't inside their blue paint, why are they so protected? The rules are terrible. What stops the goalie to take his sweet time and keep passing it back and forth with his D till they find the best transition play if you can't even touch the goalie?

Eakins didn't even look like he was trying to hit him, he just ran out of space. It's suspendable because of the rules in place, but the rules suck.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I don't like how goalies are untouchable in this league. If they have the puck and they aren't inside their blue paint, why are they so protected? The rules are terrible. What stops the goalie to take his sweet time and keep passing it back and forth with his D till they find the best transition play if you can't even touch the goalie?

Eakins didn't even look like he was trying to hit him, he just ran out of space. It's suspendable because of the rules in place, but the rules suck.

It was 4 games because they don't want goalies to think they're invincible outside the paint. If it was 10 it would confirm that goalies can just go anywhere and expect to not be touched

They're sending a message both ways here.

Aug 10, 2015
I'll preface this to say that I am a Cody Eakin fan, so have a bias, but I've watched this hit a number of times, and I think 4 games is too much...I would have been fine with no suspension (5 minutes and a game misconduct seems like more than enough for me). I'm not sure what he was supposed to do here...stop and wait for Lundqvist to play the puck before proceeding? To me it looks like he made an attempt to avoid him, wasn't able to and hit him. I can confirm that if Henrik was in his crease on this play, he would not have gotten hit here :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

An opposing player can take the puck from him without bowling over him like a doofus. That's what stops it. I have never seen the scenario you're describing. Just having the trapezoid is already ridiculous IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes