Cody Eakin hit on Lundqvist (UPD: Suspended 4 games)

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Eakin's an idiot. It wasn't intentional so all of the headhunting comments are really unnecessary. Lundqvist started off like he was just going to leave the puck against the boards, so Eakin went in to try to steal it. At the last second Lundqvist turned towards the boards for the reversal, and Eakin tried to slide by him along the boards but didn't have room so the shoulder hit the head. He was already skating full speed and once the decision to try to steal the puck from the goalie in the trapezoid (this is dumb) was made, he had no choice but to run the goalie.

I hope he learns. The 5 and a game is completely fair for that.
Whether what you surmise is close to reality is irrelevant. He hit the Lundquist, and hit him hard.
That should be a 3 suspension.
It has to send a message that hitting the goalie is unacceptable. The rules clearly states the goalie is NOT fair game.
Too many players are using the excuse that "I didn't have time to avoid the hit" to explode into an opponent.
If an player must be responsible for his stick, he should definitely be responsible for his body.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It's not about preventing future events. It's about standing up for your goalie.

Agreed but now I feel like this is being overblown and over shadowing the actual hit. Yes he Rangers didn't do jack **** after someone elbowed their goalie in the head. We get it.

Lundy ended up being fine. They got the W, Lundqvist got the 'shutout'(such bs BTW) and he was happy to get a win and be he number one goalie again.

But yes, Eakin should have been taken out on the spot by any means. Guy didn't even try to apologize or play it off as accidental.

And for the people saying 'he tried to jump around Henrik' that's a crock of ****. If that was the case he would have went over to try and apologize and/or make some body language like 'my bad'. Dude just skates off like 'Yeah, I just ****ing ran your goalie."

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Klein goes after Prust and fights him for running Lundqvist. This just shows how retaliating does nothing to prevent future events.
Retaliating isn't done solely to prevent future transgressions. It's used as a punishment for prior offenses as well. A reckoning if you will.

It's not about preventing future events. It's about standing up for your goalie.
Exactly.

Agreed but now I feel like this is being overblown and over shadowing the actual hit. Yes he Rangers didn't do jack **** after someone elbowed their goalie in the head. We get it."
As it should. How many times have we seen a player hit a goalie? A hundred? How many times have we watched the team of said goalie do NOTHING? I sure can't think of many.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I'm fine with the suspension because I would be pretty mad if this happened to Price and I think goalies need to be protected. Not sure what Henrik was thinking there though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No injury--so this is probably as much as you could expect. I would have rather seen one of the Rangers beat the snot out of him--not that there are very many candidates on the Rangers capable of doing such a thing. I really don't think Eakin intended to do what he did--he's not that kind of player. Still, it happened and in this case I'd rather the retribution than the suspension. Sends the message that you'll protect your goaltender and your best player.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
No injury--so this is probably as much as you could expect. I would have rather seen one of the Rangers beat the snot out of him--not that there are very many candidates on the Rangers capable of doing such a thing. I really don't think Eakin intended to do what he did--he's not that kind of player. Still, it happened and in this case I'd rather the retribution than the suspension. Sends the message that you'll protect your goaltender and your best player.

I really don't like the "no intent", or "not injured" defense players get. NHL player safety needs to man up, and suspend the ACT.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So 3 games is common for a headshot on a suspecting forward ..but 4 games seems fair for one on an unsuspecting goalie?

Lmao ..this league.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I really don't like the "no intent", or "not injured" defense players get. NHL player safety needs to man up, and suspend the ACT.

I think it kind of works opposite the way your thinking it does though, by saying no intent, its not saying they reduced the length, its more like if there was intent to injure, premeditated, etc. , he would get much more games

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Disgraceful hit. Even more disgraceful lack of response. Really bizarre, instigator or not, that there was no response.

The more videos of Lundqvist incidents posted, the more it looks like the Rangers are either coached to never fight or just don't like Henrik enough to stick up for him.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'd have given him 15 games. If it were me, coach would be suspended as well, and hefty fine. Running goalies with the intent to injure needs to be taken out of the game.

The message is not strong enough. Since october, it's been open season on all goalies, and this is too little of a punishment.

It's so cowardly and garbage. Shameful. Especially problematic when it's pure utter trash garbage like Eakins doing it to star players. No one wants to watch you play Eakins, go back to the hole you crawled out of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad