Cody Eakin hit on Lundqvist (UPD: Suspended 4 games)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Rangers absolutely embarrassed themselves by not responding. AV and his whole get them back on the power play style is garbage

I would have been happy to see a response immediately but a day or two later I kind of don't care anymore. I think Eakin was careless and Hank surprised him with a late move. It was a stupid risk and needs to be removed from the game. No reason to risk hitting someone's head. It's just disrespectful to a fellow pro. But I'm also pretty confident the guy would take it back and it wasn't premeditated. Would have been nice had the Rangers potted a goal or two on the power play tho.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
An opposing player can take the puck from him without bowling over him like a doofus. That's what stops it. I have never seen the scenario you're describing. Just having the trapezoid is already ridiculous IMO.

Trapezoid actually probably reduces scoring outside of the few cases where goalies are incredible puck handlers, and personally I think if a goalie is that good at playing the puck he shouldn't be restricted by the trapezoid. Adds an element that is unique to the few who can do it will. Going into the corner to play a puck is already risky enough. One misplay at NHL speed and that pucks in the back of your net because you have a long way to go to get back to the net, let alone in proper position to make a save.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I think the nhl gave him 4 b/c of the Lucic thing. Dont get me wrong he deserved 10. I think he would have gotten less games had that no happened. The Nhl's players safety has become a joke.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wow, I love my Rangers fans and respect the team but what an absolute joke to not jump him/respond immediately after he just did that to your star goalie.

It should have at least been a full on scrum with one fight breaking out.

Lmao, wow. That's something right there that can destroy a team in the lockerroom.

HOW DOES NO ONE NOT GO IMMEDIATELY TO HIS DEFENSE? IT'S ****ING KING HENRIK.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Wow, I love my Rangers fans and respect the team but what an absolute joke to not jump him/respond immediately after he just did that to your star goalie.

Lmao, wow. That's something right there that can destroy a team in the lockerroom.

The Rangers have a history of being a bunch of *******.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I don't like how goalies are untouchable in this league. If they have the puck and they aren't inside their blue paint, why are they so protected? The rules are terrible. What stops the goalie to take his sweet time and keep passing it back and forth with his D till they find the best transition play if you can't even touch the goalie?

Eakins didn't even look like he was trying to hit him, he just ran out of space. It's suspendable because of the rules in place, but the rules suck.

Lol what are you talking about? You can still strip the goalie of the puck, it happens all the time. You just cant hit him

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Because two rookies was next to it and one of them had a full cage on and Eakin skated away. Nash went after him but he skated away and the linesmen protected him aswell. I agree they should have done more but whatever, they shut Dallas out and scored 2 goals, played great defense and just a solid game. Much better response than someone jumping him and getting 17 minutes for instigating....

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

NYR/Sens alliance. :handclap:

*except 2012 :laugh:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol

Between Dubi getting bounced for third man and what I think started with Zack Smith elbowing Stepan in the head and ended in a Senators power play last year, Sens-Rangers games have had some pretty interesting examples of this stuff.

I honestly believe that the league/DPS is the best deterrent against cheapshots, and you can question all three of these in individual cases, but over an aggregate the instigator rule, the tendency to call majors/misconducts for borderline hits that end in injuries, and coaches who push discipline in pretty awful circumstances like this one all make the league safer.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

To me, 2012 started the alliance. Good series and most Sens fans were good to talk with.

and yes it was fun hockey, despite some of the garbage hits that went around and Hagelin elbowing? or whatever he did to Alfie.

That series that made me interested in the Senators, leading to Zibby becoming my favorite non Ranger after he debuted the next season.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
The more videos of Lundqvist incidents posted, the more it looks like the Rangers are either coached to never fight or just don't like Henrik enough to stick up for him.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Because two rookies was next to it and one of them had a full cage on and Eakin skated away. Nash went after him but he skated away and the linesmen protected him aswell. I agree they should have done more but whatever, they shut Dallas out and scored 2 goals, played great defense and just a solid game. Much better response than someone jumping him and getting 17 minutes for instigating....

AV could've written that post himself. The Rangers had zero response. You can try and justify it all you want [we shut them out, we won, etc.] but the bottom line is no one stood up for the goalie. Yea, they "played great defense". Yea, "they had a solid game". "Much better response than someone jumping him" - great response, AV.....great response.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
AV could've written that post himself. The Rangers had zero response. You can try and justify it all you want [we shut them out, we won, etc.] but the bottom line is no one stood up for the goalie. Yea, they "played great defense". Yea, "they had a solid game". "Much better response than someone jumping him" - great response, AV.....great response.

Everyone on the Rangers board wanted Mcirath gone. and now they wish he was here. he is the only player who would of stuck up for his goalie. Problem is last time he stuck up for a goalie he got benched, scratched, then traded. AV does not condone any physical play.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
It's not like the rangers are in a precarious position to miss the playoffs. I would have risked letting the game get away if it meant sending a message to your team and the league.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

The Rangers are a team full of Emelins.:popcorn:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Everyone on the Rangers board wanted Mcirath gone. and now they wish he was here. he is the only player who would of stuck up for his goalie. Problem is last time he stuck up for a goalie he got benched, scratched, then traded. AV does not condone any physical play.

What Are you talking about everyone wanted Mcilrath gone? Thats just false. I would argue almost everyone wanted to keep him and give him a chance over Girardi,Holden,Klein etc

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Lundqvist was laying on the ice. Last thing they need is to have to divert attention away from making sure he is alright in order to break up a scrum.

Rangers could have gone after Eakin and few would blame them. They chose not to which is also fine. Really, the only loser in this situation is Eakin.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
In 30+ years ofnl watching hockey I've never seen anything like that at any level. 4 games seems light.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
This plus the hit on Couture set absolutely abysmal precedent for this type of behavior. Basically here you're saying that you can legit injure someone for half of a season yet only get 4 games. Unbelievable. Yes I know if either player were not in lineup it would be more games, but honestly how many more? It'll be 10 games? IMO precedent for this kind of thing needs to be set in the upper teen, 18+ games. When players start to lose large chunks of salary they will think twice before doing something this stupid

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Lundqvist did not deserve that. He is an honorable respectful player. There is 1 goalie in the league that deserves to get hit like that and its price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad