Cody Eakin hit on Lundqvist (UPD: Suspended 4 games)

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I'd have given him 15 games. If it were me, coach would be suspended as well, and hefty fine. Running goalies with the intent to injure needs to be taken out of the game.

The message is not strong enough. Since october, it's been open season on all goalies, and this is too little of a punishment.

It's so cowardly and garbage. Shameful. Especially problematic when it's pure utter trash garbage like Eakins doing it to star players. No one wants to watch you play Eakins, go back to the hole you crawled out of.

Did you watch the video? Thats not what happened.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't know about intend to injure, but he definitely did intend to **** up Lundqvist for sure. I also don't agree with the idea that he should be suspended 15 games, that's a comical overreaction.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'd have given him 15 games. If it were me, coach would be suspended as well, and hefty fine. Running goalies with the intent to injure needs to be taken out of the game.

The message is not strong enough. Since october, it's been open season on all goalies, and this is too little of a punishment.

It's so cowardly and garbage. Shameful. Especially problematic when it's pure utter trash garbage like Eakins doing it to star players. No one wants to watch you play Eakins, go back to the hole you crawled out of.

Yeah i'm sure Ruff sent Cody Eakin a guy who barely ever hits and so far only ever had 1 major penalty ( for fighting Iginla ~3-4 years ago ) to intentionally run and injure an opposing a goalie while on the PK at around 5 minutes in the game .

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't know about intend to injure, but he definitely did intend to **** up Lundqvist for sure. I also don't agree with the idea that he should be suspended 15 games, that's a comical overreaction.

I guess running goalies is fine... 4 games in regular season means what.. 2-3 games in playoffs ? Send some garbage player to run good goalies. Totally worth it.

15 games is a deterrent. A clear message. Like someone hitting a ref. Goalies should not be getting body checked. Just like refs.

You can say it's a comical overreaction if you want, I'm not even a rangers fan but I know how I'd feel if Price were hit like that by some garbage 3rd liner.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Yeah i'm sure Ruff sent Cody Eakin a guy who barely ever hits and so far only ever had 1 major penalty ( for fighting Iginla ~3-4 years ago ) to intentionally run and injure an opposing a goalie while on the PK at around 5 minutes in the game .
You forgot the part about the historic, bitter rivalry between Dallas and NYR...

(Sarcasm)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That's a lot when you consider how lenient the DoPS has been.

Which IMO is not a good thing...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

The coach fine is not meant as implying the coach ordered the hit, it's meant as a deterrent. To make sure coaches impress upon their players the importance of fair play and not ****ing running defenseless goalies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I saw a guy going full speed with zero intent to slow down bringing his shoulder up to hit the head and even jumping into the hit on a freakin' goalie.. That's so cowardly. If that's not intent to injure I dunno what to call it. Goalies aren't regular players...

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I guess running goalies is fine... 4 games in regular season means what.. 2-3 games in playoffs ? Send some garbage player to run good goalies. Totally worth it.

15 games is a deterrent. A clear message. Like someone hitting a ref. Goalies should not be getting body checked. Just like refs.

You can say it's a comical overreaction if you want, I'm not even a rangers fan but I know how I'd feel if Price were hit like that by some garbage 3rd liner.

You say that, but it would have to work both ways. Goalies can't be allowed to throw blocker punches and hits, while still being immune to contact from players..

Also refs are an entirely different situation than goalies, not even comparable

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You say that, but it would have to work both ways. Goalies can't be allowed to throw blocker punches and hits, while still being immune to contact from players..

Not even gonna dignify that with an aswer. Obvious attempt to bait in another direction.

Also refs are an entirely different situation than goalies, not even comparable

I disagree. Both are on the forbidden to touch list. Goalies are not equipped or trained to get hit at all.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
I'm surprised that the NHL didn't also note that this was an illegal check to the head in addition to charging on a goaltender...as Cody Eakin made this hit to make the head the principal point of contact.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm surprised that the NHL didn't also note that this was an illegal check to the head in addition to charging on a goaltender...as Cody Eakin made this hit to make the head the principal point of contact.

Everything about this hit was despicable and a perfect occasion for the league to send a message. They missed the boat big time as far as I'm concerned.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Not even gonna dignify that with an aswer. Obvious attempt to bait in another direction.

I disagree. Both are on the forbidden to touch list. Goalies are not equipped or trained to get hit at all.

I can see why you think I'm trying to bait you, but honestly it was the most recent example of what I'm trying to say. The just of my comment is I disagree with having a double standard for goalie and player contact, it has to be either one way or another

Well the league has a 2 minute penalty for goaltender interference, yet a game misconduct for excessive force on a ref, so from that I'd say the league sees a difference between the two scenerioes as well

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Wow. Stupid hit. The lack of response from anyone on the Rangers is an absolute disgrace though. I'd be thoroughly embarrassed if I was in that locker room.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
NHL is a joke. They want to get rid of headshots, reward the most obvioust headshot for some time with 4 games..

Well done.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm glad it was lenient, makes the Rangers' lack of retaliation that much more embarrassing. If the league slapped twenty on him they could say, "We remained composed, we won, and the league handled it." Now he essentially gets away with it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm glad it was lenient, makes the Rangers' lack of retaliation that much more embarrassing. If the league slapped twenty on him they could say, "We remained composed, we won, and the league handled it." Now he essentially gets away with it.
Yeah that really would have taught him a lesson. Probably would have even retired. Especially if it was ferocious Jimmy Vesey. :amazed:

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I can see why you think I'm trying to bait you, but honestly it was the most recent example of what I'm trying to say. The just of my comment is I disagree with having a double standard for goalie and player contact, it has to be either one way or another

Why is it a problem for there to be a double standard when it comes to goalie and skater contact ?

The two players are equipped completely differently. One is wearing gear to protect only against shots, the other is wearing gear to protect against hit and shots.

You brought up the example of Price, did you know he had been run into on a play a few minutes earlier with zero penalties being handed out ? Then another player slid accidently on purpose into him and that was the straw after years of players doing the same. If skaters made an effort to avoid contact with goalies, do you think Price or any other goalies would react that way ? If they react that way it's because they think they need to get justice for themselves and send a message to the league and the other teams. It's because players from other teams crossed the line before they did. A reaction to something. What Eakins did is not a reaction to anything, it's simply a player taking an opportunity to run a goalie because there is no real punishment for doing so.

Well the league has a 2 minute penalty for goaltender interference, yet a game misconduct for excessive force on a ref, so from that I'd say the league sees a difference between the two scenerioes as well

I agree with you but that's precisely the problem. Both should never be hit at all in any way. The same deterrent should apply. That's the beef I have with this suspension. It's not sending a strong message. In fact, it almost does the opposite.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Meh..........

I thought it was clean.

If a goalie wants to hold the puck that long he deserves to be hit.

Kind of like when a QB becomes a runner and he is fair game for all hits. After a certain time a goalie has been out of his crease, he should be fair game.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Meh..........

I thought it was clean.

Kind of like when a QB becomes a runner and he is fair game for all hits. After a certain time a goalie has been out of his crease, he should be fair game.

:facepalm:

Gotta love NFL fans.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Meh..........

I thought it was clean.

Guess you don't know the rules then.

Also lol if you think a goalie is fair game outside of the crease, if at all. Their pads are not at all useful for that kind of impact.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I don't disagree with a suspension but 4 games if ****ing dumb compared to some really stupid **** that happens that only gets 1 or 2.

Price walks away with nothing from borderline assault and Hoffman gets 2 games. DoPS still an absolute **** show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad