TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk (and pick) for Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone PART TWO

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not sure what this says about Jaros in the short (and long) term. I thought he was a guy the org really liked, but I have a hard time seeing where he fits for this team moving forward.

This season:

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Bran/Boro - Hainsey
Boro/Jaros

In ~3 seasons:

Chabot - Thomson
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Demelo/Boro/Jaros

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
PD was saying the other day that the organization looks at Jaros as a bit ahead of the other young D. He’ll be on the roster this year.

I think he needs to start on the third pairing and get a full season of development focused play. Z and H can take the brunt of the top lines and let Jaros work in his game.

He has tremendous upside in terms of the bruising player he can be, while still possessing enough of the ‘new nhl’ skills that d men need to crack the top 4.

Wolanin and Branstrom are the other two that will be battling for the left side I think. Injuries will happen and I think those three will get a lot of NHL games in, in a development role.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Probably going to be the unpopular post of the day here, but I'm going to bet that Ceci is way better in Toronto than he was here.

I've maintained that coaching and trying to fit him into a system he clearly has no affinity for were a significant roadblock on Ceci. I think Toronto will actually use him in a way that compliments the few things he does pretty well.

All this said, I'm not saying Ceci is going to be GREAT in Toronto. Let's not get crazy, the guy still has his obvious warts. All I'm saying is that based on how he was used here and how they will use him there, that he'll be better there than he was here with us over the past 2 years.
Yes

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like this trade more as far as simply not having Ceci on the ice playing for the Senators is the best part of it. The fact that we have a motivated, pissed off Zaitsev, will be gravy. Term is long, sure, but worth the risk. it isn't a lot of money these days.

I like Connor Brown. Hainsey has huge respect from hockey people for his leadership abilities. I would have preferred Gibbons over Ennis, personally.

All this to say is the plan to keep the rebuild core in Belleville is the priority here. Brannstrom, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Logan, Abramov, Davidsson, Lajoie, etc...this should be a Calder Cup team. And that will do wonders. No rush here.

I am willing to give Zaitsev a shot, and from clips that I have seen, he does have some decent skills. He was able to convince quite easily to get that 7 year contract, then tailed off, If he doesn't regain his form, they will just move him for picks. But Ceci is gone, and that is what matters most.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I was camping this weekend and learned about the trade when I got home. I don’t mind getting Zeitsev, but am concerned about the term. I think Brown will be a good player for us but the bottom 6 will be crowded. Not sure why Luchuk and the other guy were included in the deal.

For the life of me, I don’t see why we had to throw in the draft pick!! IMO, the Leafs were in a position of weakness and should have given us a pick.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
I just don't see Ceci turning it around. The media has eaten him up as a Sen and now he's moving to the spotlight of the NHL with the most disgruntled fans in the league.

The pressure is going to be too much for him. Some people say he will be motivated and looking to prove his worth but I don't think lack of effort or intensity has ever been his problem. It's thinking the game smart and predicting the play. The Leafs defence isn't strong enough to shelter him either, I don't think his TOI will be as high as here but I still see him playing 18 minutes a night.

This trade overall is meh. We should have made Toronto hurt more. Would have liked to ditch Ceci for a second round pick a long time ago.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Harpur instills a lot more fear into his opponents than the vast amount of players in Ottawa's organization. He's none of those things, but what he lacks is experience. Lee had to tell him to not fight so much in the AHL one yr, another stupid Ottawa move. Are you agreeing with me that soft doesn't get you anywhere?
What I am saying is you can't have a team full of big bruisers and expect to win a cup. It should be a combination of skill, grit, IQ, size etc.
A team shouldn't be built exclusively on one or two traits.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What I am saying is you can't have a team full of big bruisers and expect to win a cup. It should be a combination of skill, grit, IQ, size etc.
In today's NHL you can pretty much build a team on almost exclusively speed and good special teams play. Opposite of what Dorion has gone for in his time here.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Probably going to be the unpopular post of the day here, but I'm going to bet that Ceci is way better in Toronto than he was here.

I've maintained that coaching and trying to fit him into a system he clearly has no affinity for were a significant roadblock on Ceci. I think Toronto will actually use him in a way that compliments the few things he does pretty well.

All this said, I'm not saying Ceci is going to be GREAT in Toronto. Let's not get crazy, the guy still has his obvious warts. All I'm saying is that based on how he was used here and how they will use him there, that he'll be better there than he was here with us over the past 2 years.

Yeah thats my suspicion too. Ceci was never utilized right here, of course the same could be said for Zaitsev in Toronto.

This could end up being a good trade for both teams if a change of scenery and a new role is what both guys desperately needed.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Brown was asked to play an extremely defensive role by Babcock and ended up becoming a very good defensive player but his offense didnt translate in that role. He had one of the better GA/60 in the league, one of the best GA rel/60 etc.

He isnt a great shooter but is a smart player so is often in the right spot. Underatted vision and has always been a high producing player. Also never stops skating, bit awkward but he is pretty quick.

If he is allowed to play a more offensive role and gets some PP time I think 20-20 is pretty realistic.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Brown was asked to play an extremely defensive role by Babcock and ended up becoming a very good defensive player but his offense didnt translate in that role. He had one of the better GA/60 in the league, one of the best GA rel/60 etc.

He isnt a great shooter but is a smart player so is often in the right spot. Underatted vision and has always been a high producing player. Also never stops skating, bit awkward but he is pretty quick.

If he is allowed to play a more offensive role and gets some PP time I think 20-20 is pretty realistic.

Sounds like the (extremely) poor man's Mark Stone honestly.

*insert EM joke here*

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I agree, unfortunately Ott now has way too many small soft defencemen & forwards in their org & on their future defence, if things stay the way they are now.

On another note - Ott will return to being the laughing stock on Saturday nights as Cherry will have a hay day making fun of Ottawa's D. He hated Zaitsev & will be very happy the Leafs got rid of him (his favourite scapegoat) & the bonus is that they traded him to Ott which he loves to crap on.

And the first time Harpur drops the gloves with anyone on Ott will likely be the last fight the Ott player has in a while & Cherry will love that & rant on about that throughout his segment. Not sure why PD has this obsession with acquiring players that fans will eventually end up hating.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I agree, unfortunately Ott now has way too many small soft defencemen & forwards in their org & on their future defence, if things stay the way they are now.

On another note - Ott will return to being the laughing stock on Saturday nights as Cherry will have a hay day making fun of Ottawa's D. He hated Zaitsev & will be very happy the Leafs got rid of him (his favourite scapegoat) & the bonus is that they traded him to Ott which he loves to crap on.

And the first time Harpur drops the gloves with anyone on Ott will likely be the last fight the Ott player has in a while & Cherry will love that & rant on about that throughout his segment. Not sure why PD has this obsession with acquiring players that fans will eventually end up hating.

When did Don Cherry become some beacon of hockey knowledge? I'm sure he'll talk up Cody "Good Ontario Boy" Ceci while there are clips playing of him getting walked and giving the puck away to a player with no stick.

If our last deal we made with the Leafs is any indication, Harpur has a better chance of never playing in the NHL again than making the Sens regret moving him.

Reactions: Deku

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The media has eaten him up as a Sen
The media did nothing of the sort, they protected him his whole career and doing that may have been part of the reason that he stayed around so long as they had an excuse for everything Ceci did. "Big minutes", "tough opposition", "he is still young", "bad D partners"....

This was the first season that the media even paid attention to the Ceci flaws and they really had no choice, the fans weren't fooled anymore.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
When did Don Cherry become some beacon of hockey knowledge? I'm sure he'll talk up Cody "Good Ontario Boy" Ceci while there are clips playing of him getting walked and giving the puck away to a player with no stick.

If our last deal we made with the Leafs is any indication, Harpur has a better chance of never playing in the NHL again than making the Sens regret moving him.
When Cherry won the Stanley Cup something this org has yet to do. Just as there are plenty of clips of EK getting walked as well.

Until Harpur punches the crap out of ... well ... any player in the Sens organization & not just the guys playing in Ott. There isn't a single player in this org who is a better fighter or tougher including Boro who has his own head issues these days. They better hope they take fighting out of hockey as we have been hearing for over a decade now.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
When Cherry won the Stanley Cup something this org has yet to do. Just as there are plenty of clips of EK getting walked as well.

Until Harpur punches the crap out of ... well ... any player in the Sens organization & not just the guys playing in Ott. There isn't a single player in this org who is a better fighter or tougher including Boro who has his own head issues these days. They better hope they take fighting out of hockey as we have been hearing for over a decade now.
Don Cherry winning the Stanley Cup? Have I entered a different timeline?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I doubt that EK because has been in the league longer being older & he's still getting walked quite regularly.
He gone, the slander isn't needed. Would take a Karlsson type 100 times out of 100 over a Harpur type. Harpur will be lucky if he ever plays another NHL game.

Reactions: NoName

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He gone, the slander isn't needed. Would take a Karlsson type 100 times out of 100 over a Harpur type. Harpur will be lucky if he ever plays another NHL game.
Karlsson will be lucky if he survives another playoff run.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Harpur is a plug. If we were to have a fighter I would want him to be a 4th line winger
Or, you know, just someone who belongs in an nhl line up in general

Reactions: Senscore

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

They kind of already have...

Count me in the group who'd rather have our designated face puncher playing 4th line wing than anywhere on defence as well.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They kind of already have...

Count me in the group who'd rather have our designated face puncher playing 4th line wing than anywhere on defence as well.
Are you sure? People don't like face punchers on here, you could be ostracized for those opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad