TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
All I want to see is a clear trade win from Pierre Dorion when trading with the intent of improving the NHL team.

Every single trade of that nature he makes leaves you scratching your head a little, wondering how you should feel about the trade.

The reality is we'll never win deals like this while being concerned about every dollar in/out. Everytime it seems we're in a position to win a trade, we have to make the real dollars work, and we end up surrendering our leverage.

It's ****ing tiring man. We're trying to play moneyball but we have an owner and GM who dont have the first clue how to do it.

As long as we always deal from a position of weakness due to being broke I doubt we ever really win any trades.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Given our budget constraints you don’t feel not having burrows on the books wouldn’t have helped replace both Mac and Methot that we instead went with oduya and nobody? Interesting take for sure

Not really. That’s not how the Sens seem to work at all. Oduya was a cheap vet who EK was good with, replacing Methot was not as easy as it sounds because he was EKs best friend, not because he was an great D. Oduya should have been able to replace MM, but for some reason he stank as much as everyone else did that year.

We had Mac for like one game, he wasn’t exactly a guy that they were looking to replace.

In the end I don’t believe that they were 2 million short of the guy they really needed/wanted. If that was the case they could have easily enough traded someone

16w

Jun 23, 2003
melnyk must have realized he was going to need to spend a few more million dollars to reach the cap floor and told p.d to cut costs...

ceci was overpaid by at least double for what he brought last year and was going to get an unwarranted raise this summer, while zaitsev apparently isnt russian enough for melnyk to veto if it means some money can be saved

it's embarassing that the entire league knew this trade was happening a few days ago but it had to be put on hold so the bonus could be paid out... melnyks miserliness on display for the whole world to see

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Not really. That’s not how the Sens seem to work at all. Oduya was a cheap vet who EK was good with, replacing Methot was not as easy as it sounds because he was EKs best friend, not because he was an great D. Oduya should have been able to replace MM, but for some reason he stank as much as everyone else did that year.

We had Mac for like one game, he wasn’t exactly a guy that they were looking to replace.

In the end I don’t believe that they were 2 million short of the guy they really needed/wanted. If that was the case they could have easily enough traded someone
Lol, oduya wasn’t even in the nhl any longer, c’mon man, you’re grasping here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it was the contract that was handed out to a guy who was clearly losing it that was the problem. I think people upset about the trade were upset that we traded a prospect who was on a serious rise for a 4th liner who was on empty.

If Ottawa traded a late pick to take a gamble on Burrows then after the season gave him that contract and he still ends up being bought out it would be a different story.

Fair enough man, different takes on the trade from the start. In my opinion time has shown that perhaps the management knew what they were doing when they assessed Dahlen. Anywho..

What other teams have made deals in advance (2 days for Zaitsev, prior to the draft for Zibanejad) but held up in an agreement to give a draft pick in order for other teams to pay signing bonuses? None that I can think of, though I'd love to be proven wrong

Me too, but we both know that I’m never going to research that, especially today!

I’ll just go ahead and agree with your take instead of looking for evidence, it’s all good :)

Reactions: BondraTime

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Anyways boys and girls, it’s time for me to get ready for the days festivities.

I always loved Canada Day in the odubs. Walking through Sandy Hill on the way to a buddies house saying hi to the endless porch drinkers and day parties... trooping downtown later with beers in the backpack....

Backyard party these days, with kids running around, but it’s still a fun day. At least we have a beautiful hot day out here this year.

Have a great one folks, even you FQL ;)

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Lol, oduya wasn’t even in the nhl any longer, c’mon man, you’re grasping here.

If Sens management seriously thought Oduya was an acceptable Methot replacement on the top pairing because EK 'liked' him, then it even further solidifies them as brain dead.

I remember reading numerous threads when we signed Oduya and Stars/Hawks fans agreeing almost unanimously that he was trash, and was essentially done. Do we even have pro scouts?

Reactions: Deku

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Fair enough man, different takes on the trade from the start. In my opinion time has shown that perhaps the management knew what they were doing when they assessed Dahlen. Anywho..

Sure the trade looks meh now but it was still stupid to trade an asset on the rise for a guy who's value was a mid to late pick at best.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Anyways boys and girls, it’s time for me to get ready for the days festivities.

I always loved Canada Day in the odubs. Walking through Sandy Hill on the way to a buddies house saying hi to the endless porch drinkers and day parties... trooping downtown later with beers in the backpack....

Backyard party these days, with kids running around, but it’s still a fun day. At least we have a beautiful hot day out here this year.

Have a great one folks, even you FQL ;)

Enjoy man have a good one

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Me too, but we both know that I’m never going to research that, especially today!

I’ll just go ahead and agree with your take instead of looking for evidence, it’s all good :)
The closest there is was the Ducks/Leafs trades involving Anderson and Bernier.

The deal was still made as it soon as it was arranged in June, with the picks going to Anaheim and Andersen going to the Leafs as soon as the agreement was made, and then a separate deal was made in July after his 2 million dollar bonus was paid where Bernier went to the Ducks for nothing, literally nothing. The Leafs received a conditional pick, where the Ducks end up giving the Leafs nothing unless they make the Stanley Cup finals.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sure the trade looks meh now but it was still stupid to trade an asset on the rise for a guy who's value was a mid to late pick at best.

You know what I will say is that I was sad about AB the following year, and I wanted more from him in those playoffs. I was excited to have him and didn’t feel the price was too high. Term was too long, but it’s what it took to get him to agree. If you didn’t like AB you would have hated the deal, I get that.

I’m a huge AB fan, and am happy to see him honoured by the Canucks.

Thanks and have a good one!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No but after the bonus money paid to both plus harpur ,we pocket around 4 mil ...And yes there about a million ways we could do things that are better than what we ended up doing....But you know,we have an asshat for an owner

EM is not $4M richer today than yesterday, he just kept the $4M he already had in his pocket.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lots of people wanted Harpur gone. He's gone. Pretty much everyone wanted Ceci gone and he's gone. Seems a lot of guys are saying Zaitsev>Ceci. Brown is a solid pro that enables some young guys to ripen. Carcone might end an NHLer.

I don't really get why this trade is causing so much angst.

And it looks like the Leafs paying the bonus creates the money to sign Hainsey.

Given our limited resources... all in all not a bad day.

Reactions: Crosside

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Johnny Oduya was good with Erik Karlsson

r/BrandNewSentence

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There are other budget teams in the league we seem to be the only ones selling picks for cash so transparently.

The Canes just traded (yesterday) Scott Darling, and a 6th round pick, to Florida for James Reimer, and saved $.750 off their cap for next season.

Only ones?

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad