TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummbles

Nov 11, 2016
Near Napanee Ontario
Word around the street is a possible Brown coming back for a pick in this deal?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TOR and OTT appear to have a tentative trade in place that would send Nikita Zaitsev to OTT in exchange for Cody Ceci. There may be another part or parts to it but the deal can’t be finalized until July 1, when TOR pays Zaitsev’s $3M signing bonus.</p>&mdash; Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) <a href="">June 30, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Clayonator

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sounds like bullshit given how high leafs are on analytics. Also why would they pay Ceci 5M+ with their cap situation?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would assume there is a decent add from the Leafs.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sounds like bull**** given how high leafs are on analytics. Also why would they pay Ceci 5M+ with their cap situation?

Dubas is high on analytics, but is Babcock? I'm guessing Babcock wants a RD if they move Zaitsev. This probably solves that.

From the Leafs perspective, unless they shockingly extend Ceci to a multi-year contract, this is probably more getting out of 4 extra years of Zaitsev rather than it is adding 1 year of Ceci. I'd imagine there's no real market for Zaitsev other than taking advantage of the opportunity that D.J. Smith who seems to like Zaitsev taking over as the head coach of a non-cap team has presented them.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Ceci being jettisoned is good enough for me, I’m willing to give Zaitsev a chance before passing judgement - the ‘sweetener’ could possibly be a cherry on top but we’ll see what happens, after all someone has to dress on defence this coming season

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Sounds like bull**** given how high leafs are on analytics. Also why would they pay Ceci 5M+ with their cap situation?
I think the most likely scenarios are the Leafs try to trade his rights for peanuts or they simply walk away from whatever he's awarded from arbitration. This is about cap space to sign Marner, and for the second time in about 3 years the Leafs will use the Sens to dump a lackluster d-man to get out of cap trouble. And just like last time, the young d-man the Leafs take back will probably never suit up for the organization.

Side note: truly, it's going to be hard seeing Ceci go... :P

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the most likely scenario is the Leafs try to trade his rights for peanuts or they simply walk away from whatever he's awarded from arbitration. This is about cap space to sign Marner, and for the second time in about 3 years the Leafs will use the Sens to dump a lackluster d-man to get out of cap trouble. And just like last time, the young d-man the Leafs take back will probably never suit up for the organization.

Side note: truly, it's going to be hard seeing Ceci go... :P

That video - wow. How can management see a video like that and keep playing a guy night after night? Ceci was one of those guys on whom analytics and the eye test both agreed - he sucks. Moving on from him is the greatest move we will make this entire off-season.

Also, agreed that Ceci likely never wears a Leafs uniform. They'll either try to flip his rights for a low pick, or just walk away from his arbitration award, whatever it is. They absolutely must have cap space, so even a year of Ceci at $4.5 mil hurts Operation Marner Come Home.

Reactions: FlyingJ

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
As much as Ceci's defensive blunders are well noted, we would be getting a guy signed long term, who Toronto feels isn't a good enough defender to keep.

Let that sink in...

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
As much as Ceci's defensive blunders are well noted, we would be getting a guy signed long term, who Toronto feels isn't a good enough defender to keep.

Let that sink in...
Yep. Unfortunately, the Sens are desperate to reach the cap floor and management isn't competent or well-staffed enough to make smart trades to get there.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad