TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
That's because you're not thinking of who he was acquired for. Ceci was in the same boat. Unless you think that Ceci will suddenly be good while Zaitsev not so much.

People talked about addition by substraction for a long time regarding Ceci. I didn't kow Zaitsev was his twin brother and there was another D-man (not on the Sens of course) that was in his league of bad.

You always learn with this board :laugh:

You keep making posts like this while seemingly ignoring the fact that there's a massive, enormous difference between a guy who is arbitration eligible and a guy who is signed for 5 more years with a cap hit of 4.5M. The important question here isn't "Is Zaitsev better than Ceci?", it's "Is committing to that Zaitsev contract a smart choice?". The answer to the first question might well be that Zaitsev is better, but I think that the answer to the second is a resounding "no".

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Zaitsev really didn't fit into Toronto's game plan. Leaf defenders need to be able to thread the needle from behind their own net, through
two sets of legs, to a speeding forward. Zaitsev would get the puck then have zero support. You don't expect him to make outlet passes
like you can with Jake Gardiner. If Ottawa can rely on him to take the man, but play the puck out as a team, he'll do a lot better.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think people are too upset over this.
We just need Zaitsev to play more of a shut down role. Explain to him that his job is to get Chabot or Brannstrom the puck, which ever you are paired with. When they are on the rush you cover them defensively. We just need him to be the Methot to Karlsson.
That’s funny because all the leaf posters are saying he had trouble in Toronto because they kept asking him to play a shut down role but if we get him in an offensive role then he should be ok.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's great trade for the Leafs just for long term cap flexibility. I liked Zaitsev but he seems to lost confidence playing under Babcock's system. He played better without Gardiner when he had more puck handling responsibilities. And he was a big PK minute eater. Good luck to Zaitsev.
Ceci...one year to get better and set himself up for a big pay day.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Throwing in the 3rd to pay Zaitsev's signing bonus reminds me of when we gave Toronto Lindberg (who was a decent prospect at the time) and a 2nd in the Phaneuf trade to do us a favour by taking on a couple bad short-term deals.

It should have been obvious to anyone with a brain that in both cases we should have been the team getting compensated for taking on a bad long-term deal, not the Leafs for taking on short-term contracts that weren't nearly as bad, or paying a signing bonus.

As if a youngish 3rd liner is a good enough "sweetener" for taking on Zaitsev's horrible deal. Dorion has no idea how to properly negotiate. Other teams know he's in completely over his head and are looking to bend him over at any opportunity, even when Dorion should have all the leverage.

Wonder how long it will take until we're offering teams a far better asset to dump Zaitsev's deal. I'll give it a couple years at most.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's worth noting that many posters here kept saying that we were stupid for not just walking away from Ceci instead of trading him for Zaitsev. Well, the Leafs had a chance to flip him or walk away and what did they do? They signed him to a one year deal.

What it shows is that NHL GMs and coaches value experience a lot more than we do, and unlike the people here whose jobs aren't on the line, they aren't willing to play some rookie in that spot. The Leafs had every motivation to do that given their cap situation, and didn't...

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
It's worth noting that many posters here kept saying that we were stupid for not just walking away from Ceci instead of trading him for Zaitsev. Well, the Leafs had a chance to flip him or walk away and what did they do? They signed him to a one year deal.

What it shows is that NHL GMs and coaches value experience a lot more than we do, and unlike the people here whose jobs aren't on the line, they aren't willing to play some rookie in that spot. The Leafs had every motivation to do that given their cap situation, and didn't...

Or we could've just signed him to a 1 year deal

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

We've watched more than enough of Cody Ceci to know he's a bad defenseman. What the Leafs do or don 't do with him doesn't change a thing.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Really enjoyed the part where the Sens gave a 3rd round pick in order to hold the deal for a few days to have Toronto pay Zaitsev’s bonus. Yeah it’s only a 3rd but the fact that this team is selling picks at a time when the roster and prospect pool is looking rather weak is a perfect microcosm of what is wrong with management.

Nothing ever seems to get better, it’s just the same old miser nonsense from Melnyk time and time again. Even making it to game 7 double OT of the conference finals as a salary floor team does not inspire this man to invest. Instead they traded Turris for Duchene to save money and then shipped Duchene off because they couldn’t pay him. What a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karlstrobe

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That’s funny because all the leaf posters are saying he had trouble in Toronto because they kept asking him to play a shut down role but if we get him in an offensive role then he should be ok.

Sound familiar.....almost like a certain blueliner we traded away today.

Kinda funny. Definitely not a whole lot of difference between the two of them. :laugh:

Reactions: robsenz

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Been listening to Toronto radio off and on today and it's clear no one liked Zaitsev over there.

Zaitsev will be fine. You guys will like him, maybe not the contract.

He can give you 20 minutes and offense if you let him. He will bounce back and be a top 4.

Leafs had a problem with the contract and not really the player. All things equal I’m taking Zaitsev over Ceci 8 days a week.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

He can give you 20 minutes and offense if you let him. He will bounce back and be a top 4.

Leafs had a problem with the contract and not really the player. All things equal I’m taking Zaitsev over Ceci 8 days a week.

This isn't really a reactionary statement to the trade to downplay your side in the acquisition: Ceci absolutely sucks. But playing 3rd pairing might be ok. anYTHING higher is a fail.

Reactions: robsenz

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
This isn't really a reactionary statement to the trade to downplay your side in the acquisition: Ceci absolutely sucks. But playing 3rd pairing might be ok. anYTHING higher is a fail.

Unlike some leaf fans, I know Ceci sucks and it’s going to be a long season if he is anything more than playing third pairing minutes. But it was all about long term cap flexibility.

I pray it’s a 1 year deal or less. I don’t want management to be tricked into an extension.

I’m still hoping we can flip him to someone stupider. Benning? Ceci for Tanev?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
One of these guys is an idiot.
(Im the furthest thing from a maple leaf fan but I recognize and appreciate competence)

One of "these" guys bungled a RFA signing last year, and went on to paint himself into a Cap Ceiling corner........ requiring him to get rid of players (some he wanted to keep) to free up cap space in order to re-sign another RFA.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Unlike some leaf fans, I know Ceci sucks and it’s going to be a long season if he is anything more than playing third pairing minutes. But it was all about long term cap flexibility.

I pray it’s a 1 year deal or less. I don’t want management to be tricked into an extension.

I’m still hoping we can flip him to someone stupider. Benning? Ceci for Tanev?
Flip him back to Ottawa. Dorion is foolish enough to trade something for him

Reactions: phillipmike

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

If Zaitsev was the player you describe, he'd still be on your team.

But you're right that he's most likely better than Ceci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad