Dreger: Cody Ceci agrees to deal with the Leafs (1 year, $4.5M - NOT YET SIGNED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I thought it was odd when it was announced Ceci signed with the Leafs... now that I read he hasn't signed yet it makes way more sense... the Leafs are now protected from an offersheet towards Marner

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The Leafs currently have just over 11 million in cap space and that's without having Horton on LTIR so realistically they have about 16 million

It's actually more than that since Capfriendly is showing all signed players (for instance Petan and Agostino are on the main roster and I highly doubt both or even one will be on the roster when the season starts)

Toronto actually has a bit of cap room and with the Aho signing Dubas himself said that has set the market price for RFA's

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's actually more than that since Capfriendly is showing all signed players (for instance Petan and Agostino are on the main roster and I highly doubt both or even one will be on the roster when the season starts)

Toronto actually has a bit of cap room and with the Aho signing Dubas himself said that has set the market price for RFA's
Bet he feels like a fool for signing Matthews before aho set the market

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Matthews was given a blank check...that's what you do with your franchise center. The Canes are just lucky the Habs made such a crappy attempt at an offersheet.
Well so are the leafs and everyone else with an rfa if that's what sets the market. I guess we will see if the next big rfa that signs resets it

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This will be the most backwards arbitration hearing ever.

Ceci: I want 3 million
Dubas: Come on, you're worth at least 7.
Ceci: But I'm awful...
Dubas: Can't we all just agree that you're a 7 million dollar player?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
If Toronto didn't want Ceci and:

• Senators have been pursuing Zaitsev since the trade deadline
  • Zaitsev has demanded a trade since May 30th
  • Ceci was qualified on June 20th.

.. then why wouldn't Ottawa just walk away from Ceci, and make the trade with Toronto excluding Ceci?

I'm pretty sure Toronto has interest in Ceci... considering he is a big RH shot and RH shots are rare (Babcock is insistent on having a balance of RH and LH shots). Losing Zaitsev, and gaining Barrie, puts us right back at only one RH shot.

Also Dubas outright said that they think he could have better results if he is put in the right situations.

Could it be that the Leafs have two offers dependant on Marner's future?:

1 year term @ 4.5 million: Should Marner sign long term at a higher cap hit
2 year term @ 3.5 (or whatever is fair): Should Toronto sign a short term hit at a lower cap hit

They have interest in Ceci....at the right price. If the arbitration award is over 5M then sayonara.

Reactions: therealkoho

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
Where is anyone hearing about arbitration between the Leafs and Ceci? I can't find any news about it anywhere.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I see how freeing up the Ceci cap hit would look appealing, but who is gonna play RHD behind Barrie ?

Letting Ceci walk, and signing one of Engelland, Chariot, Girardi, or Ozhiganov for less money is a better option IMO.

That said, I don't see why Ceci would go to arbitration. His QO was 4.300 and he's unlikely to get much more. If he were to get 4.400+ then Toronto could walk away. As a UFA, Ceci is unlikely to get 4.300+ anyways. It's in his best interest to simply take the one year deal and force Toronto's hand.

If Toronto does end up having him on the roster, they absolutely need to shelter him. I think he'd be OK on the bottom pairing with a defensively responsible partner.

Reactions: uncleblazer

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Matthews was given a blank check...that's what you do with your franchise center. The Canes are just lucky the Habs made such a crappy attempt at an offersheet.

For such a crappy attempt Aho signed it instantly.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You should investigate this a little deeper....
Yeah sorry forgot the LTIR, + sending 3 players to the minors (2.1m) and Kerfoot (3.5m), that leaves 10.4m for Marner and flex to make more room in case you need it. Anyway I do not see anybody making an offer for Marner, below 10.5 it is matched, above 9.5m it is a bad deal I believe.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I never thought after watching Ceci he was a true offensive defenceman. I don't know how many goals you are expecting out of him but he doesn't seem to sometimes read the ice well or look for sticks. New coach might help him but I think its a bit of an overpayment at anything over 3M

nor do I and as I said defence is not his strong suit either, Muzzin is a generalist who's more adept at defense then is Ceci

I've seen a lot of Senator games my friend and Ceci just seems a lot more comfortable when he's not the "stay at home" guy in the pairing

as for goal getting depending on how much he actually plays or indeed if he even plays for the buds, his normal season is 6-8 goals and there is no reason he can't do that with the Leafs, although that's a pretty big number considering he won't get any regular PP time with the addition of Barrie

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Letting Ceci walk, and signing one of Engelland, Chariot, Girardi, or Ozhiganov for less money is a better option IMO.

That said, I don't see why Ceci would go to arbitration. His QO was 4.300 and he's unlikely to get much more. If he were to get 4.400+ then Toronto could walk away. As a UFA, Ceci is unlikely to get 4.300+ anyways. It's in his best interest to simply take the one year deal and force Toronto's hand.

If Toronto does end up having him on the roster, they absolutely need to shelter him. I think he'd be OK on the bottom pairing with a defensively responsible partner.

Ceci's agent should negotiate with other teams. If someone else is willing to pay, Toronto could either agree to terminate the existing contract or trade him for future considerations.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
This will be the most backwards arbitration hearing ever.

Ceci: I want 3 million
Dubas: Come on, you're worth at least 7.
Ceci: But I'm awful...
Dubas: Can't we all just agree that you're a 7 million dollar player?

So Ceci's going to go to arbitration and ask for less money than the qualifying offer he rejected? Makes sense.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If they really sign Ceci at 4.5m, that leaves only 6.5m for Marner....

They can spend 10 percent above the cap in the summer and then they have Nathan Horton who can be placed on LTIR. Capfriendly also counts their roster at 22 players right now, so in a situation where they keep both Ceci and Marner, they will add 650k+ depending on who they send down to make room for Ceci and Marner.

Marner getting the Matthews contract with Ceci at 4.5 makes them cap compliant with Horton placed on LTIR.

If they have a 1 year deal agreed upon with Ceci, they probably haven't made it official because they don't have to. Once they make it official they lose the cap space for good and lose leverage defending against Marner offer sheets. I'm not saying they will do anything nefarious and go back on a verbal deal with Ceci, but it puts them in a better position to wait until either the last possible moment or until Marner is dealt with to officially sign the Ceci contract.

Reactions: sd1976
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad