Dreger: Cody Ceci agrees to deal with the Leafs (1 year, $4.5M - NOT YET SIGNED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Did Ceci or Toronto file for arbitration? Because if it's Ceci, Toronto can le him walk as a UFA if they want to.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Did Ceci or Toronto file for arbitration? Because if it's Ceci, Toronto can le him walk as a UFA if they want to.

As I understand it, if Ceci has started the arbitration process the Leafs can walk away at anything over 4.5M, anything under that and it's binding

I wouldn't think the Leafs opted for arbitration, if they did the contract number is binding no matter what it is

That's how I understand it anyway

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

He was tendered a qualifying offer by Ottawa, if the arbitration award is above that number (4.4) the Leafs have the right to walk away I believe. However what's not clear is why the delay in announcing the signing. Is it Marner, is it because they are trying to work out a longer contract, or it could be they are having second thoughts after the Barrie trade (as far as a need for a righty) and are considering cutting bait (ie going arbitration route with plans to walk)...I hope it's the latter as imo the cap space could be put to better use.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As I understand it, if Ceci has started the arbitration process the Leafs can walk away at anything over 4.5M, anything under that and it's binding

I wouldn't think the Leafs opted for arbitration, if they did the contract number is binding no matter what it is

That's how I understand it anyway

It's 4.400

Otherwise I believe you're correct.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Indeed but then 10M is the highest you can do when using the whole LTIR.

If you sign all the RFA'S (Ceci 4.5M Kerfoot 3.3M Marner 10M) and send some scrubs to the minors so that your down to a 22 or 23 man roster your about 5M over the 81.5M, Horton's contract is 5.3M so LTIR covers the 5M your over the cap

It fits but we won't accrue any cap extra cap space to make moves at the TDL though since we will be using LTIR

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Curious how you think Toronto is going to walk away when Ottawa qualified him and he hasn't gone to arbitration yet.
What confuses me is why didn't he just sign the qualifying offer. He got super lucky with the arbitrator last time valuing ice time so highly , this could ruin him if it allows the leafs to dump him.

Reactions: LeafsLegendAkiBerg

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
What confuses me is why didn't he just sign the qualifying offer. He got super lucky with the arbitrator last time valuing ice time so highly , this could ruin him if it allows the leafs to dump him.
I guess he doesn't hate becoming a UFA.

That's still the best way to make bank.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I guess he doesn't hate becoming a UFA.

That's still the best way to make bank.
Signing the qualifying offer would be a one year deal sending him to ufa anyways , I guess he has high hopes for himself cuz idk if anyone gives him over 4 for this coming year, seems more like a prove it contract type of guy .

Then again Simmonds got 5 for one so maybe

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
For someone who has no idea about Ceci, what does he play like? Stay at home, puck mover? Has he been bad a long time or since the sens have had a downturn? Is there really no chance he could turn it around and be decent for the money on a good team?

He was miscast in Ottawa as a shutdown defender who can move the puck.

Ideally he is the second best puck mover on his pairing but in Ottawa he has always been expected to be the puck mover of his pairing. When paired with a puck moving defensemen I do believe he can play a shut down role but his biggest problem is moving the puck forward. Defensively he is reliable and at times can excel but his problem in Ottawa was that he was defending far too often. Some of that was his own doing, some of it was the style of play from the team, and a part of it was the role he was in.

He can chip in offensively. He will never be the type to be on the PP but he reads the play well enough that he can jump in and capitalize on opportunities. With the puck he doesn't see the ice very well so he isnt one to make a play but he has a good enough shot and skates well enough that he can finish a play.

He has some nice tools and can utilize them, he is very coachable though at times is very robotic and looks to lack intensity. With a coaching staff that understands his limitations I do believe he can be an effective two-way 2nd pairing defensemen.

Reactions: Chips

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
if he plays in the 2nd pairing with Muzzin he'll be fine

Muzzin can do the heavy lifting and Ceci will be the more offensive guy

he was paired for a time with both Methot and Phaneuf and did the offensive work and wasn't bad, when he's expected to do the real defensive work that's when his game gets scattered
I never thought after watching Ceci he was a true offensive defenceman. I don't know how many goals you are expecting out of him but he doesn't seem to sometimes read the ice well or look for sticks. New coach might help him but I think its a bit of an overpayment at anything over 3M

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Ceci probably gets over 4.5 in arbitration if it goes there. Leafs are probably hoping so.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
When it comes to Ceci, I think he's worth taking a flyer on.

Look at his D partners since entering the NHL

Patrick Wiercioch
Jared Cowen
Chris Phillips
Marc Methot
Dion Phaneuf
Mark Borowiecki

Look at his coaches since entering the NHL

MacLean
Cameron
Boucher

lol just awful

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Ceci probably gets over 4.5 in arbitration if it goes there. Leafs are probably hoping so.

This is my hope as well but dubss has mentioned him as part of the d corps moving forward, ie how they can help him Excell etc. Unless it ls cloak and dagger stuff I feel he wouldnt be so enthusiastic /emphatic in taking about his potential w the team if the plan was to cut him loose. Believe me I much prefer the idea of going after a pysyk with a lower cap hit and arguably a better fit, but dubas seems intrigued. In a perfect world the leafs trade for pysyk, upgrade 3 c w Eakin (unless they see kerfoot as the guy). Hutton also has been linked to leafs /yet to sign:tho not a right d

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

If Toronto didn't want Ceci and:

• Senators have been pursuing Zaitsev since the trade deadline
  • Zaitsev has demanded a trade since May 30th
  • Ceci was qualified on June 20th.

.. then why wouldn't Ottawa just walk away from Ceci, and make the trade with Toronto excluding Ceci?

I'm pretty sure Toronto has interest in Ceci... considering he is a big RH shot and RH shots are rare (Babcock is insistent on having a balance of RH and LH shots). Losing Zaitsev, and gaining Barrie, puts us right back at only one RH shot.

Also Dubas outright said that they think he could have better results if he is put in the right situations.

Could it be that the Leafs have two offers dependant on Marner's future?:

1 year term @ 4.5 million: Should Marner sign long term at a higher cap hit
2 year term @ 3.5 (or whatever is fair): Should Toronto sign a short term hit at a lower cap hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->