Cobra Kai new karate kid series on youtube

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Complaining about... Carrie Underwood? Really? Guys... come on!

It is EXPLAINED in the show why she shows up - her husband is a client of the president of the committee. They even FORESHADOWED a celebrity guest at the tournament during their meeting to change the rules.

Her performance/song might not really fit the universe, so she maybe was a bad choice, but saying it makes no sense when they CLEARLY explained it on the show is weird.

Why did there even need to be a backstory to Carrie Underwood's appearance? I loved this season but the Underwood part was so cringe, even for Karate Kid.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The biggest flaw to me is the actress playing Sam being so unskillful at karate. She doesn't look like an athlete whatsoever and she of course doesn't move like one either. Robby saves the show.

I agree completely. This show, more than anything else I watch, I just roll with things and just file it under schlocky or campy for the aesthetic. But, there are things every once in a while that just pull me out of the moment and you nailed it.

I was watching and when she did the flying tornado or whatever, it just looked so mechanical and yes, unathletic. What makes it all the worse is that they hired an athletic actress to play her rival.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I just noticed that Ralph Macchio and the actor who plays Terry Silver are almost the same age - with Macchio actually being a bit older. Funny.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
In order for fans to enjoy the rest of Cobra Kai they must watch Karate Kid 3 and many haven't because it was panned by movie critics. I thought that it was an underrated movie, nothing great, but entertaining.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
In order for fans to enjoy the rest of Cobra Kai they must watch Karate Kid 3 and many haven't because it was panned by movie critics. I thought that it was an underrated movie, nothing great, but entertaining.

While not without it’s flaws, KK3 is nowhere near as bad as some people say it is.

Oh no, it's absolutely ridiculous and unwatchable, sorry.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The biggest problem with KK3 is that it doesn't really break any new ground at all.

It's sort of a re-tread of KK.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The biggest problem with KK3 is that it doesn't really break any new ground at all.

It's sort of a re-tread of KK.
It does have a similar ending to the original, but there are many memorable new quotes from Mr. Myagi like " it's ok to lose to opponnent, but must not lose to fear" and "your best karate is still inside, now time , let out" and shortly after that Daniel let's out his best karate and beats Barnes. Those quotes and the ending still bring tears to my eyes. In order to understand the rest of Cobra Kai you need to know the history of Silvers and Daniel.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Those quotes and the ending still bring tears to my eyes. In order to understand the rest of Cobra Kai you need to know the history of Silvers and Daniel.

I think the show does a pretty good job with flashbacks so you don't necessarily have to review the entire film.

The show definitely makes KK3 more palatable to watch now. ;)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think the show does a pretty good job with flashbacks so you don't necessarily have to review the entire film.

The show definitely makes KK3 more palatable to watch now. ;)

Yeah, and that's a very loose way of using the term "understand". I think I'll be ok.

Reactions: hoglund

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Knowing that Terry Silver was hopped up on coke the entire time during KK3 makes it somewhat palatable now, as it perfectly explains his over the top behavior.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Weird to see myself commenting on this show in 2018. I'd checked out the first two free preview episodes, thought they were decent, but not enough to subscribe to YouTube Premium. I only discovered the show on Netflix this past month. I started watching two, then three episodes per night. So addictive. Loved it, with all its extra toppings of cheese. I can't believe I lucked out to have finished season 4 one week before the season 5 premiere. I expected to wait another year.

Most everything worth discussing has been. so I won't add much. Johnny is surprisingly funny. Small moments, like his offering Daniel a ham slice from a cheap package kept me laughing. I like the show's sometimes frantic pacing (or it seems frantic because of my binge watching). Most of the payoffs I hope for are delivered in timely fashion. Getting though Stingray's scenes is a trial. Not a fan.

The season 4 tournament fight scenes were more intense than I expected. The choreography was maybe the best in the series. Sam took some flack above for her athleticism. I thought her defensive posturing at the All Valley looked cool. Daniel promised to teach her some "cheat codes". Guess those poses and attacks were it.

I had to look up Peyton List (Tory) after recognizing her name from "Star Trek: Picard", but not remembering her character. Different actress, same name. In doing so, I landed on a blurb about her and Hawk dating, That's my TMZ gossip for this thread.

I liked the S4 Sydney, Nova Scotia reference. I grew up on the outskirts. We don't get many Hollywood shout outs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad