Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

How do you "activate" Forbort, Poolman, Beaulieu, Stanley? They are inept in the offensive zone and in defending transition. Bad players or bad systems? Some of both, I think. The coaching staff clearly aren't sure how to manage a D that doesn't do anything well. Can't make stops on the cycle. Can't defend the slot and crease. Can't make outlet passes or stretch passes. Can't carry the puck. Can't generate any creative offense in the offensive zone. Can't shoot. Can't defend transition.

There's a reason they were ranked 29th in the NHL before the season. Given Morrissey's struggles, that might have been generous.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
How do you "activate" Forbort, Poolman, Beaulieu, Stanley? They are inept in the offensive zone and in defending transition. Bad players or bad systems? Some of both, I think. The coaching staff clearly aren't sure how to manage a D that doesn't do anything well. Can't make stops on the cycle. Can't defend the slot and crease. Can't make outlet passes or stretch passes. Can't carry the puck. Can't generate any creative offense in the offensive zone. Can't shoot. Can't defend transition.

There's a reason they were ranked 29th in the NHL before the season. Given Morrissey's struggles, that might have been generous.

Maurice needs to listen to his quotes once in awhile.
Like put the best team in the ice.
Play players who are playing well ( not force the ice time on CSW if they arent feeling it).
Its not end or be all solution.
But he should have started with Heinola in the line up more.
They want to win this year right?
I understand looking into the future (4 years down) also but if your most important decision now gets impacted of what you want to do always 4 years down the road, you will never reach your goal.

I bet 4 years agoJets management did not see buff and laine or little not playing for this team now.
A lot can happen.

If those guys Forbort etc are soooooo bad.
Why not try Also Samberg for a couple games.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Never said that - said that the year would best be used "to further the individual development of players on the cusp of making the team"
My view is that player development occurs in a continuum across both leagues.. Of course, the bulk of development occurs at the AHL, where there is more individual coaching attention and opportunity for bigger responsibilities, but development continues as a player transitions to the big club ,and for some time thereafter as the player moves from a sheltered role to progressively more challenges.

You bring up a good point in that in knowing your D roster is inferior and and a lowered success expectancy, wouldn't you give serious consideration to bringing up developing prospects periodically to see where they are at in NHL level, giving them intro to and glimpses of the ultimate prize, gaining invaluable experience. Seems like a waste of opportunity.
Now, Jets have to wait until next year season to start ag scratch with many of their prospects, to throw them in the deep end early and see how ready they are.
Sadly, I see Chevy bringing in more aged out vets and Maurice (probably not let go) and going with vets over his prospects, again.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Development year ? With Thompson and Lewis brought in ? Develop what retirement portfolios for the youngins'. No way they went thinking this was a development year.

Ha, ha for sure! If this was Jets org idea of a development year. More of wasted young players actually playing games against opponents regularly and experiencing the NHL level. I guess they deem this roster, despite the porous, slow and non-puck moving able defense, was worthy of trying to push as far into playoffs. See how it works?
But the development end of Heinola especially is questionable. He sat long periods on the taxi squad. And Stanley at times. For as you put it developing retirement funds for some!

Reactions: Bigfish

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Maurice needs to listen to his quotes once in awhile.
Like put the best team in the ice.
Play players who are playing well ( not force the ice time on CSW if they arent feeling it).
Its not end or be all solution.
But he should have started with Heinola in the line up more.
They want to win this year right?
I understand looking into the future (4 years down) also but if your most important decision now gets impacted of what you want to do always 4 years down the road, you will never reach your goal.

I bet 4 years agoJets management did not see buff and laine or little not playing for this team now.
A lot can happen.

If those guys Forbort etc are soooooo bad.
Why not try Also Samberg for a couple games.

Exactly!? Why not coach Maurice?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Certainly well liked by the players. I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon. I am not a big fan of his but he can certainly talk a good game.

Keep him on as "media-blowhorn-liason". Just no where near controlling the bench, roster decisions, icetime and play style. :help:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
In his presser today, Maurice said Scheifele will see a lot of McDavid this series...Maurice has got to go this off-season.
God, are you serious? Pretty much packing it in already. And with recent lines that means Wheeler will be out there too. Oilers will be smart and put Drai out there and it will be a laugh fest.
I said it about a month ago when we lost those two games to Edmonton, if we face them in the playoffs and lose first round, Maurice better be fired. Not that he has the best defenders to work with but thinking Scheif or Wheeler out there is a good idea after constantly getting embarrassed? How do you not see that? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he will do something different to try and stop McDavid, even though I doubt he will.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
In his presser today, Maurice said Scheifele will see a lot of McDavid this series..

sSJQgmW.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Ummmm... Oilers have home ice, so Tippett controls a lot of the match-ups. I think Tippett will try to match McDavid vs. Scheifele as he has in the past.

Yes, Scheifele will, in fact, see a lot of McDavid in this series. I don't know what Maurice or any coach could do to prevent that, given that, in the majority of games, who sees whom is up to the other coach.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, Scheifele will, in fact, see a lot of McDavid in this series. I don't know what Maurice or any coach could do to prevent that, given that, in the majority of games, who sees whom is up to the other coach.
Looking at the matchups through the season, in away games Scheifele saw a lot of McDavid, and Maurice probably expects the same in the playoffs. Makes sense, since Tippett coaches the best player of this generation and Scheifele is the Jets' top C, who isn't renowned for his defense. Why would Tippett want McDavid against Lowry or Dubois?

Reactions: surixon

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Looking at the matchups through the season, in away games Scheifele saw a lot of McDavid, and Maurice probably expects the same in the playoffs. Makes sense, since Tippett coaches the best player of this generation and Scheifele is the Jets' top C, who isn't renowned for his defense. Why would Tippett want McDavid against Lowry or Dubois?
I seem to remember Maurice matching the Scheif line against McDavid a lot at home as well...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry but this discussion is missing the obvious. Edmonton plays McDavid and Dri like elite top pairing defenseman. The go out against everyone all of the time. You can really only match up against them situationally not consistently as no other team dares to ride their top forwards nearly as hard as the Oilers ride their 2 difference makers.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
We know Oilers coach gonna match up Mc D line vs. Scheifele line.

Better to move down Wheeler away from that line and put Ehlers instead.

Kc Scheifele Ehlers
Stastny Dubois Wheeler
Copp Lowry Appleton

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
God, are you serious? Pretty much packing it in already. And with recent lines that means Wheeler will be out there too. Oilers will be smart and put Drai out there and it will be a laugh fest.
I said it about a month ago when we lost those two games to Edmonton, if we face them in the playoffs and lose first round, Maurice better be fired. Not that he has the best defenders to work with but thinking Scheif or Wheeler out there is a good idea after constantly getting embarrassed? How do you not see that? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he will do something different to try and stop McDavid, even though I doubt he will.
Either you have absolutely no understanding of group dynamics or you hate Maurice so much you don't actually read anything before commenting on it. If Maurice didn't pump the tires of his top players before the series against the best player of the generation that would be inexcusable. Scheifele has a playoff history of being a beast in both ends and trying to get Scheifele to believe in that and embrace that is exactly what a competent coach should be doing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We know Oilers coach gonna match up Mc D line vs. Scheifele line.

Better to move down Wheeler away from that line and put Ehlers instead.

Kc Scheifele Ehlers
Stastny Dubois Wheeler
Copp Lowry Appleton
No he isn't he is going to put McDavid back out there every time he catches his breath. You don't match up McDavid you run him as hard as you can.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
No he isn't he is going to put McDavid back out there every time he catches his breath. You don't match up McDavid you run him as hard as you can.

That is true in some ways.
But you still put him out vs. The line that he does well againstwith.

If Lowry can slow him down , why would a coach do that.

He will still play 25 minutes for sure.

But playing half of those vs. a Lowry line for example instead of 75% vs. Scheifele and 4th line . Will probably bring greater odds for him to kill the Jets.

I just used Lowry as an example.
Lowry job is to slow down Mc D.
Scheifele job (line) is to score. Less defense.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

If Lowry can slow him down , why would a coach so that.

But playing half of those vs. a Lowry line for example instead of 75% vs. Scheifele and 4th line . Will probably bring greater odds for him to kill the Jets.

I just used Lowry as an example
I just don't think the Oilers will be the ones trying to match McDavid. Nothing I've seen of them suggests they try to much him, rather the run him and let the opposition try to match up. McDavid does well against everybody, other top lines at least force him to pay attention to defensive responsibilities.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I just don't think the Oilers will be the ones trying to match McDavid. Nothing I've seen of them suggests they try to much him, rather the run him and let the opposition try to match up. McDavid does well against everybody, other top lines at least force him to pay attention to defensive responsibilities.

I understand.

Its more on the Jets try to match the best on best. But so far it has not work.
I just thought
Ehlers instead of Wheeler on that top line.
Might bring better odd to at least make it a wash or respectable for the Jets. As you said, and its true Mc D is gonna be playing a lot.
I dont think Wheels has the stamina to go up against that line.
Jets need wheels to create opportunities and he is one of the best for the Jets.
Playing hard minutes vs. Mc David line,i dont think he will be able to do it.
Vs Canucks , Sens, Habs for sure.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

If Lowry can slow him down , why would a coach do that.

I just used Lowry as an example.
Lowry job is to slow down Mc D.
Scheifele job (line) is to score. Less defense.

I don't think you really care about who the guy who scored almost 2 points per game in a shortened season is lined up against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad