Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
2nd best coach behind Jon Cooper in the nhl. Length of service speaks for itself.

I thought the key metric was winning percentage, between October 2017 and May 2018.

Still time to right the ship and keep things respectable, but it’s gonna take work. Like, a lot of work.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
He's hanging himself by not playing the young D earlier... Yikes....

It's unfortunate really cuz it's not just Maurice but....... It's likely time soon. I think this is Maurices biggest test right now... We f***ing suck. McDavid owns us... Leafs do also. Do something Paul. Now's the time... If not he gonna be gone.

Reactions: rkp

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Two team leaders have publically called out the coach in the last week

Helle - Maurice was wrong. I shouldnt have been pulled.

Scheif - Maurice was wrong. My play was great. I shouldnt have missed a couple of shifts.

These arent quotes but the message was clear. These two guys dont respect Maurice. They didnt even try to be subtle about it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Scheif - Maurice was wrong. My play was great. I shouldnt have missed a couple of shifts.

These arent quotes but the message was clear. These two guys dont respect Maurice. They didnt even try to be subtle about it.

What did Wheeler has to say about it?
He is normally on the coaches side.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017

Helle doesn't like being pulled, ever, so he's going to complain no matter what.

As for Scheif, that was just him trying to make good with the fans, as he knows he screwed up and it was a turning point that probably cost us the game.

That said, we haven't made any significant changes in strategy all season, so I'm also pretty weary of the PoMo game these days don't get me wrong.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014

I actually respect Maurice more for doing what he did. Those two, plus Wheeler, have had Maurice in their back pocket for years. That's not to say Maurice shouldn't be gone after this year but at least he is acting like a coach doing that.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
when u hire a coach with a so so wining record over his career, what do you expect....management should have seen that by now....ignore history and u are bound to repeat it...

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I actually respect Maurice more for doing what he did. Those two, plus Wheeler, have had Maurice in their back pocket for years. That's not to say Maurice shouldn't be gone after this year but at least he is acting like a coach doing that.

so what is he doing coaching to keep his job or win??!!

Reactions: PhilJets

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The issue is that he enabled that type of behavior in the first place and never corrected it when it first popped up. It was far too late for his benching of Mark.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This team has not been able to defend in 2+ years. Having a top 3 goalie (and a great back up) and a top 3 forward group has masked a lot of issues with the system and the defensive half of the game.

Anyone that watches the game somewhat objectively sees the keystone cop system in their own zone. They dont have a clue how to mark their man and/or cover their zone. They bleed high danger scoring chances against game after game after game. That is on coaching.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I do not think Maurice 'needs' this job or the headaches that come with it. If the players refuse to play his system then he should be gone next year but this stage of the season it is on the players who play as individuals not as a team plus if Helly is not magical then this team is unable to pull the table cloth off the table without all the dishes crashing to the ground.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A lot of these issues have been persistant for a while now. Many of our top 6 vets extend shifts regularly, half ass it in their end, and are slow picking up their check. This stuff has been going on for a few years now, either you stick with your coach or you make a big trade to shake the room. We got rid of the so called problem players in the room and we still get some of this lazy play by our leaders up front.

I don't believe Maurice's tactics are right for this group but I am also beyond pissed with some of our vets like Scheifele.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I do not think Maurice 'needs' this job or the headaches that come with it. If the players refuse to play his system then he should be gone next year but this stage of the season it is on the players who play as individuals not as a team plus if Helly is not magical then this team is unable to pull the table cloth off the table without all the dishes crashing to the ground.

if he doesnt need the job or the headaches why is he coaching

Reactions: thegr8one66

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
A lot of these issues have been persistant for a while now. Many of our top 6 vets extend shifts regularly, half ass it in their end, and are slow picking up their check. This stuff has been going on for a few years now, either you stick with your coach or you make a big trade to shake the room. We got rid of the so called problem players in the room and we still get some of this lazy play by our leaders up front.

I don't believe Maurice's tactics are right for this group but I am also beyond pissed with some of our vets like Scheifele.

the problem wasnt with players tht were traded away but with the players who r still here

Reactions: PhilJets
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad