Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
More than anything the Jets needed to taste winning again. They absolutely had to get a few games in the win column more than a little rest. They just had 3 full days to rest and practice.
I’ll have to disagree there. I can see how the W would be important for confidence, but the rest is much more important.

No need to risk injuring players in a game that was completely meaningless standings-wise.

The Oilers just got pounded by the Canucks in their last game, but they didn’t get any injuries. I’m sure they don’t care about that loss at all, and I don’t think it’ll have any effect on how they’ll play tonight.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ll have to disagree there. I can see how the W would be important for confidence, but the rest is much more important.

No need to risk injuring players in a game that was completely meaningless standings-wise.

The Oilers just got pounded by the Canucks in their last game, but they didn’t get any injuries. I’m sure they don’t care about that loss at all, and I don’t think it’ll have any effect on how they’ll play tonight.
The Oilers weren’t on an eight game losing streak going down the stretch like the Jets were. Hockey is a contact sport you can’t play to avoid injuries.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Oilers weren’t on an eight game losing streak going down the stretch like the Jets were. Hockey is a contact sport you can’t play to avoid injuries.
Exactly. So instead of playing to avoid injuries, you just don’t play them at all.

Although I believe the salary cap was mostly responsible for why we couldn’t play more taxi squad guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly. So instead of playing to avoid injuries, you just don’t play them at all.

Although I believe the salary cap was mostly responsible for why we couldn’t play more taxi squad guys.
So why did the Oilers play McDavid in their final game? By Jets fan's standards that should be considered the biggest coaching mistake of the season by any coach across the league.

Reactions: Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Crosby and Malkin for years never played in the final game of the year when Pittsburgh had things locked down.

I would have rested a number of players the final game of the year. Unfortunately though the players I would have rested would have been the ones that didn't get injured.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Crosby and Malkin for years never played in the final game of the year when Pittsburgh had things locked down.

I would have rested a number of players the final game of the year. Unfortunately though the players I would have rested would have been the ones that didn't get injured.

Not sure the cap allowed for resting of multiple players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This gnashing of teeth on the need to rest players to avoid injury seems a little over the top to me. Ehlers was injured almost a month ago so I'm assuming no one is suggesting we should have held out Ehlers for the final month of the season. The one player we lost in the last game of the season was PLD, and he was pretty much the last player you'd want to hold out since he has already missed over a quarter of the season and hasn't really found his game that we need him to play yet.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This gnashing of teeth on the need to rest players to avoid injury seems a little over the top to me. Ehlers was injured almost a month ago so I'm assuming no one is suggesting we should have held out Ehlers for the final month of the season. The one player we lost in the last game of the season was PLD, and he was pretty much the last player you'd want to hold out since he has already missed over a quarter of the season and hasn't really found his game that we need him to play yet.
I’d be making this comment even without PLD’s injury.

Scheifele, Wheeler, Pionk, Helle ... I wouldn’t have played any of them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’d be making this comment even without PLD’s injury.

Scheifele, Wheeler, Pionk, Helle ... I wouldn’t have played any of them.
I look at it the opposite way. If you are one of the favourites maybe you take the foot of the pedal and coast into the playoffs resting players knowing you can ramp it up. If you are a dark horse long shot you want to go in on a roll with momentum hoping you can catch a favourite off guard. The odds are against you, but you have no chance going in cold like we were. Whoever wins the cup will have 2 + months of heavy slogging and every team will have their injuries. None of this matters if you don't get out of the gate because your starting flatfooted.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The lineup, the injuries, the game plan. Tonight worked.

ian-mc-kellen-hat-tip.gif

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Crazy thought:

The Jets did some adjusting with their forecheck, neutral zone support, and physicality last night that seemed to be effective vs the oil. They managed to implement those in just a few days...

WHAT IF.... pomo had this in his pocket for how to beat the Oilers all year and sat on it until playoffs so tippet wouldn't be able to make adjustments before the start of the series? What if we happen to make it through and he has another plan up his sleeve for the leafs?

Seemed like a completely different team out there last night. Didn't give up very many odd man rushes, that's for sure.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Crazy thought:

The Jets did some adjusting with their forecheck, neutral zone support, and physicality last night that seemed to be effective vs the oil. They managed to implement those in just a few days...

WHAT IF.... pomo had this in his pocket for how to beat the Oilers all year and sat on it until playoffs so tippet wouldn't be able to make adjustments before the start of the series? What if we happen to make it through and he has another plan up his sleeve for the leafs?

Seemed like a completely different team out there last night. Didn't give up very many odd man rushes, that's for sure.
Perhaps, but I think it's more likely that the players were just more "dialed in", as most teams are in the playoffs. It does occur to me that we sometimes overemphasize coaching, and not so much roster and player performance levels.

Reactions: MyNameIsTaken

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Perhaps, but I think it's more likely that the players were just more "dialed in", as most teams are in the playoffs. It does occur to me that we sometimes overemphasize coaching, and not so much roster and player performance levels.
If that's the case, they were terribly "dialed out" for most of the year.

That's said, I thought we were still a dumpster fire trying to move the puck out of our end

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Columbus hires John Davidson as President of Hockey Operations, I see the Jets doing something in a hockey ops role with Maurice and bringing Vincent up at some point, just don’t know when that point will be. Three more wins like last night and I think he is pretty safe for next year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I suspect that Lowry had input into last night's game planning - similar to the way he transformed our PK this season. We were playing much more of a zone D than I've seen... well, ever.

That being said, Helle bailed us out for almost half that game - Forbort still making abysmal zone-clearing passes and CSW very casual with the puck at our blue line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If that's the case, they were terribly "dialed out" for most of the year.

That's said, I thought we were still a dumpster fire trying to move the puck out of our end
I think they were dialed in and out during the season. Their last 3 games vs. the Oilers were at an odd time - they had basically pushed through 17 road games, put themselves in a secure playoff position (2 or 3), and then seemed to let down vs. the Oilers. It's not an "excuse", but there is some context here. Regardless of how players say that they are "dialed in" all the time, it's clear that they find different levels of play / consistency throughout the regular season, and go to a different level in the playoffs.

Reactions: MyNameIsTaken

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I suspect that Lowry had input into last night's game planning - similar to the way he transformed our PK this season. We were playing much more of a zone D than I've seen... well, ever.

That being said, Helle bailed us out for almost half that game - Forbort still making abysmal zone-clearing passes and CSW very casual with the puck at our blue line.
I didn't like Forbort at all. Slow with and without the puck, but at least he didn't get caught flat-footed in transition. Poolman struggled with his defense on the puck in his zone. DeMelo was uncharacteristically sloppy with his first touch - he can be better.

I also thought CSW were very sloppy with their zone clearance / transitions. Too many gambles for offense. It worked a couple of times, and that might put the Oilers on their heels, especially since Tippett is a very risk-averse coach. In the post-game, Tippett mentioned specifically that he was concerned that the Jets got a couple of odd-man breaks that resulted in high danger chances. My hope is that Tippett CSW's ability to generate fast-break offense will get Tippett to make his team play more conservatively.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
They didn’t look a whole lot different in their own end last night, other than having someone pretty much always within 5 inches of McJesus. They battled hard but were still a bit of a mess trying to exit the zone, Forbort is just horrific. The only real difference in their overall strategy was to simply not allow any odd man rushes. F3 never went below the dots and when the Oilers got the puck F3 beat it back to the neutral zone. Other than that they just did a better job down low along the wall keeping the puck deep. If the D didn’t have a lane or traffic in front, they simply put it back deep and kept the cycle going. Lowry, Scheifele, Copp and Thompson had particularly good games down low imo.

edit: if staying out of the box was part of the plan, that worked as well, probably more than anything, lol.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I didn't like Forbort at all. Slow with and without the puck, but at least he didn't get caught flat-footed in transition. Poolman struggled with his defense on the puck in his zone. DeMelo was uncharacteristically sloppy with his first touch - he can be better.

I also thought CSW were very sloppy with their zone clearance / transitions. Too many gambles for offense. It worked a couple of times, and that might put the Oilers on their heels, especially since Tippett is a very risk-averse coach. In the post-game, Tippett mentioned specifically that he was concerned that the Jets got a couple of odd-man breaks that resulted in high danger chances. My hope is that Tippett CSW's ability to generate fast-break offense will get Tippett to make his team play more conservatively.
Oilers hard gapped at the offensive blue line a few times last night and got burned. Can’t imagine Tippet was too happy and that it was part of the plan based on his comments. I think the Oilers tend to get impatient 5v5 in tight checking games, the Jets really need to just stay committed to making things difficult for them, and staying out of the box of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad