Speculation: Coaching Thread (poll included)

Who should be the next coach?

• Total voters

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Peter Laviolette for me.

He's been coaching long enough against the Penguins in big games to know this team pretty well already.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I think Sully's time is up, and I think his constant issues with correct lineups are a big part of that. I don't think adjustments are an issue with the roster as currently constructed.

Adjustments is such a buzzword around here. What should Sully have adjusted with regard to the system or approach? He should've benched JJ, absolutely. He should've started Jarry from the hop, absolutely. He should've tried Jake with Geno and Rust and put Zucker up with Sid again, absolutely. But systems-wise? What do you adjust to get a successful outcome out of a team with no third line, a fourth line with zero offensive pressure or potential, a blueline that did f***-all in terms of producing, and a bottom pairing that's arguably the worst combo in the entire league? :laugh:

Don't get me wrong; I'm done with Sully. If for no other reason than the last several years of his usage of JJ. But suggesting that any other coach could've squeezed blood from this stone isn't right, imo. This roster is severely flawed, and that is why I put the bulk of the blame on JR for the current (and recent) state of this team.

JR's gotta go. If Sully & Co. follow, I'm entirely fine with that too. But JR's proven time and again he's lost the plot and he spends more time trying to undo his own f***-ups than actively improving the team and building upon successes.

I agree with your "adjustment" part. He should have benched JJ a long time ago. Also Zucker with Sid and Guentzel with Malkin. Jarry vs Murray, I'm not convinced. I'm seeing all sorts of bad goals in other game, and Murray was pretty solid.

System wise?
What I can't figure out is why we gave the Montreal (and the Islanders) forwards so much time to come over the blue line and setup. We have no confidence in closing the gap.

Also we take forever to breakout of our zone. In our cup years, we literally just chipped it as fast as we could in the neutral zone then kicked/sticked/chipped our way into the offensive zone as fast as possible. Now it's all about controlled breakouts. By the time we get there, we're playing 3 on 5.

Roster flaws?
What flaws are you referring to? (not being insulting, honestly asking).

I think it's very difficult to keep a winning team in the cap era, not to mention an expansion draft.
Kessel becoming Zucker is a win.
Brassard becoming McCann and Bjugstad is a win. Even if those two don't fit us, they are young assets with value.
Marino was a steal!
Not to mention Pettersson.

Next year we should seriously look dump Schultz, JJ, and seriously look at PO Joseph. BTW I have no clue if he is ready yet.

Forwards, we actually have a lot to work with IMO.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
This made me laugh out loud. Thanks
I'm still trying to think of a way to respond to it... I just can't even...

tenor.gif

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Just wanted to say: I wasn't lurking this board when Bylsma was canned, but I remember a lot of the dialogue was "he's such a good coach but this is a bad fit, he'll go somewhere else and do well; gonna be an NHL HC for a long time..."

You know what? Bylsma wasn't all that good and he wasn't a long-tenured NHL coach after being canned here.

Sully was great for us in 2016, helped in 2017 (luck and goaltending helped more but I digress) but hasn't been all that good since. The Penguins haven't been enjoyable to watch since...oh, about May 2017. I guess they were from October through New Year's this year but they had completely fallen apart by the time Forrest Gump came down with the 'Rona. There was a non-zero chance that they were going to crater bad enough to miss the playoffs entirely.

Also, if Sid's not going to tolerate an attempt at a 2-3 year retool that includes trading Geno and/or Tanger, we have to do something drastic and soon. Process of elimination says that's Sully.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Laviolette has had real success, Gallant lucked out with the first season in Vegas, but has an average career outside of that.

Gallant coaches an uptempo game that suits the modern NHL.

Laviolette is more of a tactical master(thinks ahead, exploits weaknesses) and he also loves young players. That's right, try and think of the last time we had a coach that liked young players.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Just wanted to say: I wasn't lurking this board when Bylsma was canned, but I remember a lot of the dialogue was "he's such a good coach but this is a bad fit, he'll go somewhere else and do well; gonna be an NHL HC for a long time..."

You know what? Bylsma wasn't all that good and he wasn't a long-tenured NHL coach after being canned here.

Sully was great for us in 2016, helped in 2017 (luck and goaltending helped more but I digress) but hasn't been all that good since. The Penguins haven't been enjoyable to watch since...oh, about May 2017. I guess they were from October through New Year's this year but they had completely fallen apart by the time Forrest Gump came down with the 'Rona. There was a non-zero chance that they were going to crater bad enough to miss the playoffs entirely.

Also, if Sid's not going to tolerate an attempt at a 2-3 year retool that includes trading Geno and/or Tanger, we have to do something drastic and soon. Process of elimination says that's Sully.
I never thought Bylsma was a good coach and actually didn't understand why they re-signed him after 2009 so I never expected him to do well elsewhere.

Sullivan I do think is a good coach, but he may no longer be the right coach for the Penguins at this point in time.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Why on earth would anyone want Babcock?

Something about Gallant worries me. He keeps getting fired in the most unceremonious ways and very randomly. Owners can be scum bags, but I don't know I feel like there has to be an underlying issue somewhere...

Lav would be my choice if we do move on from Sully

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Laviolette thought Claude Giroux was the best player in the world, so I don't really trust his talent evaluation. :sarcasm:

But seriously, f*** Peter Laviolette...

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I don't want to move on from Sully yetx but he's got one year of leash left for me. The bigger problem is fixing the roster: remove and replace JJ, Schultz and Bjugstad, build a 3rd line that works, find one more top 6 winger (Poulin or Lafreniere?). If we would move on I'd be fine with Lavs, Gallant, Babcock or Velluci.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gallant followed by Babcock/Sully/Laviolette. I think Gallant is the best coach out there, could command this room and could win with this group. I think Babcock has the success and respect of Crosby, due to the Olympics, to come in and shake up this core. Hes not good with youth but is good with older core, could be good here. Ive always liked Lavie, I think he could be what Sully was when Sully first came on board. If its not one of those 3, Id rather just keep Sully. Hes an excellent coach, definitely has his warts, but he can win and we know that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Gallant followed by Babcock/Sully/Laviolette. I think Gallant is the best coach out there, could command this room and could win with this group. I think Babcock has the success and respect of Crosby, due to the Olympics, to come in and shake up this core. Hes not good with youth but is good with older core, could be good here. Ive always liked Lavie, I think he could be what Sully was when Sully first came on board. If its not one of those 3, Id rather just keep Sully. Hes an excellent coach, definitely has his warts, but he can win and we know that.
See mate. The thing you gotta do is already have the successor in Wbs.

Hire Gallant.
Pay Lavi as an overpaid WBS coach.
Year 2 ends, year 3 you fire GG and promote Lavi and let him bring his guys up.

Rinse.
Repeat.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad