Speculation: Coaching Thread (poll included)

Who should be the next coach?

• Total voters

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'll start by saying I've been a big supporter of Sullivan over the years. It's hard to dismiss him after he guides the team to back-to-back Cups, especially given the state of the team before his arrival. The first Cup was a blast and the following year was great. However, these last couple seasons reek of the Bylsma years. Questionable decisions, suspect performances, and just bad hockey. JFresh (@JFreshHockey) put it best...

I think Mike Sullivan is a good coach. I really do. And the prospect of replacing him scares me. But I just don't know how the Pens can keep him after this series... at the end of the day his job is to put his team in a position to win, and he just hasn't. Two straight seasons, the Pens have crapped out without any purpose or urgency while playing a nonsensical lineup.

I don't think this is a reactionary thread. This team hasn't looked good for some time now.

Reactions: That1Kid and KIRK

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I would vote: give it a minute

lol....but...probably Gallant, I dont want to look at Lavs face all the time, even though he is probably 'right' choice

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am on the Vellucci bandwagon. I want to follow the Chicago model. They fired a 3-time Cup coach with a young AHL guy. We should fire the 2-time Cup coach with our young AHL guy.

New blood, new thinking, new new new should be the theme of this off-season.

Younger players, more size, a new fresh approach...all things we need desperately.

Reactions: OswaldBates

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We just need a fresh set of eyes, (No preconceived notions bullshit that plagues so many coaches today) and someone who can work with the younger generation. Easier said than done on the 2nd part, but there are definitely qualified coaches out there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I say again. How can you have this poll WITHOUT an option to keep Sully.

Because that is my vote.

And I highly doubt that I am the only one.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jack Johnson's usage alone is enough for me to want to move on from Sully. I mean, JJ should be jettisoned as well, but the fact that this coach leaned on JJ on a pretty much nightly basis since he was signed despite some long stretches of absolutely abhorrent hockey is just indefensible.

Yes, you take away the problem players and Sully's got nothing left to misuse, but the fact that--for years--Sully has observed, scrutinized and not only deemed JJ's play acceptable, but required, is beyond me.

I think Sully's a good coach. I think this team needs a whole new set of eyes; from the entire front office to the entire coaching staff, minus maybe Gonchar. Fire the whole lot of 'em and start with a fresh approach for the last few years we've got left of the Sid/Geno/Letang era.

Reactions: PaulD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There should be an option to keep Sullivan.
tenor.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Jack Johnson's usage alone is enough for me to want to move on from Sully. I mean, JJ should be jettisoned as well, but the fact that this coach leaned on JJ on a pretty much nightly basis since he was signed despite some long stretches of absolutely abhorrent hockey is just indefensible.

Yes, you take away the problem players and Sully's got nothing left to misuse, but the fact that--for years--Sully has observed, scrutinized and not only deemed JJ's play acceptable, but required, is beyond me.

I think Sully's a good coach. I think this team needs a whole new set of eyes; from the entire front office to the entire coaching staff, minus maybe Gonchar. Fire the whole lot of 'em and start with a fresh approach for the last few years we've got left of the Sid/Geno/Letang era.

I agree that Sully is a good coach but either his mantra of "difficult to play against" is wrong, or the team has just tuned him out. Remember we were a great regular season team under DB. Won lots of games and looked great going into the playoffs, and then couldn't score (sound familiar?).

I will say that the team doesn't get frustrated under Sully which is good, but he's stubborn and doesn't adjust. I saw a lot of the same issues against the Habs as we saw against the Islanders. I bet you the Habs get blown out in 4 straight in the next round (this is not me being vindictive).

Reactions: PaulD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I want to defend Sullivan but he handicapped the roster two years straight now. I don’t know. If he stays Recchi and probably Martin need to go.

Reactions: OswaldBates

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I agree that Sully is a good coach but either his mantra of "difficult to play against" is wrong, or the team has just tuned him out. Remember we were a great regular season team under DB. Won lots of games and looked great going into the playoffs, and then couldn't score (sound familiar?).

I will say that the team doesn't get frustrated under Sully which is good, but he's stubborn and doesn't adjust. I saw a lot of the same issues against the Habs as we saw against the Islanders. I bet you the Habs get blown out in 4 straight in the next round (this is not me being vindictive).
I think Sully's time is up, and I think his constant issues with correct lineups are a big part of that. I don't think adjustments are an issue with the roster as currently constructed.

Adjustments is such a buzzword around here. What should Sully have adjusted with regard to the system or approach? He should've benched JJ, absolutely. He should've started Jarry from the hop, absolutely. He should've tried Jake with Geno and Rust and put Zucker up with Sid again, absolutely. But systems-wise? What do you adjust to get a successful outcome out of a team with no third line, a fourth line with zero offensive pressure or potential, a blueline that did f***-all in terms of producing, and a bottom pairing that's arguably the worst combo in the entire league? :laugh:

Don't get me wrong; I'm done with Sully. If for no other reason than the last several years of his usage of JJ. But suggesting that any other coach could've squeezed blood from this stone isn't right, imo. This roster is severely flawed, and that is why I put the bulk of the blame on JR for the current (and recent) state of this team.

JR's gotta go. If Sully & Co. follow, I'm entirely fine with that too. But JR's proven time and again he's lost the plot and he spends more time trying to undo his own f***-ups than actively improving the team and building upon successes.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Made Sullivan an option. I'm willing to listen to arguments for keeping him.

This 'playoffs' was a joke. Getting players to gel again after half of a year off, and in a C-19 scared to check playoffs was always going to be hit or miss. No one should be shocked that it was miss.

Not benching JJ was not excusable, but is hardly the reason that they lost. Their skilled players did not show up. Jake was obviously still injured.

In the end Sully proved that he knows what he is doing and can be a difference maker. He says the right things, and yes does make adjustments. He did not simply ride Crosby and Malkin's coat tails as Disco obviously did.

He has his head scratcher favorites but name me a great coach who was not accused of that.

He also should have been coach of the year this year given the injuries and record.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Between Sully and JR, they deconstructed a championship team that played for one another (all of them) and got rid of better players they cannot replace. They made the sole focus back on Crosby and Malkin's shoulders who cannot carry that load anymore and are breaking down more each season that passes.

I don't think anyone should be safe, but then again, there's probably no fixing this at this point to make a serious run short of getting another elite player to help take on that load ala Kessel.

I am beyond thinking they'll fix this.

Reactions: KIRK

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I want to defend Sullivan but he handicapped the roster two years straight now. I don’t know. If he stays Recchi and probably Martin need to go.
Yeah, I believe he is a good coach but at the same time the last 2 years in the playoffs it has been so difficult for the team to create offense that most of the blame has to fall on the tactics employed by the coaching staff.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This 'playoffs' was a joke. Getting players to gel again after half of a year off, and in a C-19 scared to check playoffs was always going to be hit or miss. No one should be shocked that it was miss.

Not benching JJ was not excusable, but is hardly the reason that they lost. Their skilled players did not show up. Jake was obviously still injured.

In the end Sully proved that he knows what he is doing and can be a difference maker. He says the right things, and yes does make adjustments. He did not simply ride Crosby and Malkin's coat tails as Disco obviously did.

He has his head scratcher favorites but name me a great coach who was not accused of that.

He also should have been coach of the year this year given the injuries and record.

I agree with a lot of this but the way this team's intensity has just died at the wrong moment twice in a row sticks in my head. Going out because of bad individual performances and puck luck is one thing; going out due to implosions is another.

That said, I can't get out of my head either that he got a fantastic performance out of these players this season and that he's probably the best coach on this list.

I'd lean towards he's got the start of the season to prove he can still get the locker room to respond, but I said that last year too, and look how it ended. I don't want to go down that route again.

Whoever is next, it's got to be the right staff as a whole. There's no one dude who can be everything this team needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad