Speculation: Coaching Thread (poll included)

Who should be the next coach?

• Total voters

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To end my PowerPoint presentation...

f*** Sullivan. I can’t believe people here still defend that f***ing moron after all of the things people are learning or rather, coming to the realization of. It’s so f***ing ridiculous. After you’ve all whined about Bylsma and his bullshit and you see it with Sullivan, but he’s propped up by 1 more cup, it’s somehow ok to defend him?

f***. That.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Does any of this make our PP not an abortion? Because that's the issue.

The Pens powerplay cannot generate anything, the coach is on record as not understanding the problem, and a good portion of the fanbase is so hellbent on the idea that Kessel contributed nothing of value that they can't acknowledge the issue either.

Even on a wonky groin, Kessel led the Coyotes in PP points. Even as a Coyote, Kessel scored as many PP points as any Penguin other than Malkin - and the Coyotes didn't give up any more SH goals than the Pens this year either.

Our powerplay sucks. Kessel's gone, but it needs to be acknowledged that what he brought is missed so that this team knows what to target moving forward.

If the team thinks a middle-tier LH shot scoring winger like Galchenyuk or Zucker or a try-hard speed merchant like Rust can help the 1st PP unit with zone entries and work the left boards well enough to open up the ice for our star centers, they've been wrong and they'll continue to be wrong until the league beats it into their heads.

You’re really overstating how bad our PP is. It’s average. It isn’t terrible.

The Vegas Golden Knights look like a juggernaut with a similar PP conversion percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The PP was productive when Kessel was here. Kessel's zone entries and presence on the left side of the ice opened things up and gave our skilled players room to operate. That was always the case outside of a 4 game sample size in the 2019 playoffs. Now it's not.

It gave up shorthanded goals in his last season here, but now we simply don't score. The PP saps our momentum regularly.

Kessel was playing injured for a good part of this season on a putrid offensive team. It seems like where we disagree is that you're content to leave huge current net negatives on our roster while getting rid of potential future problems that were still productive and useful. I don't think that's the way a team whose best contention window is the next couple years should operate.

Being productive doesn't mean a great deal if you're just as leaky. The difference between 12th in +/- on the PP and the difference between 16th isn't one I see as particularly meaningful. Either both were problems, or both were okay. We've just traded different problems, instead of when in the playoffs, when it's the same - blunt on PP1.

And no, I'm not content with JJ being here. I'm just not going to fixate on that to the exclusion of all other problems. And given that Kessel was part of already existent problems, and given the personality clash was probably real, I don't see Kessel's role here as being potential problems. It was real problems there were probably going to get worse. And tbh, Kessel's issues with Arizona say they did get worse. No amount of linemates wholly explains a points drop of that magnitude.

The injury and linemate argument applies doubly to Kessel's performance this season.

Kahun performed well no matter who he was playing with, and only spent about 1/5 of his TOI in the top 6. Sheary without Crosby didn't fare near so well.

Sheary's most common Pens linemate other than Sid was Geno with 4:37, so I don't really see how you can judge ought there, and Kahun was in effectively top 6 attacking deployments for a bunch of time here. Their impacts here were pretty similar in pretty similar roles.

I think I'll leave both arguments there. My feelings on the broad important similarities are clear and I've no desire to get into an in-depth argument over just how much the many points of granular detail shade things.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
UMMM this is the Coach Thread why are you arguing about PP & Rust ?

These titles are more of a..guideline, than rule

Also..powerplay is a legit coaching issue when "two of the best players in the world" look like shit on it.

What coach can fix this bullshit is the question.

Reactions: BHD and pixiesfanyo

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
These titles are more of a..guideline, than rule

Also..powerplay is a legit coaching issue when "two of the best players in the world" look like shit on it.

What coach can fix this bullshit is the question.
The Problem is very simple Sid has his birthright spot & the RW Halfwall & his shot scares very few Goalies & that forces Geno to the LP where his one timer is worthless because he can't use it

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan’s record the last two years against inferior teams in the playoffs:

1-7

Those teams that beat us in the playoffs records after they knocked out the Pens:

1-7 and about to be 1-8

Bring back Sullivan for one more wasted season.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad