Coaching Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Theres a very strong argument to be made that coaching or lack there of is why we are below the line.. If our PP was just average we'd likely be in a playoff spot regardless of its cuz of Helle. The lack of trying different players or a different system on the pp and pk for that matter has actually cost us several wins

Jets powerplay is 20th in the league, at 19.0% out of 158 opportunities. The average NHL powerplay is 19.98 percent this season (which is a bit on the high side actually, it's only been higher than 20% once in the last 29 years). If it was statistically average it would only mean an extra 1.5 goals on the season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets powerplay is 20th in the league, at 19.0% out of 158 opportunities. The average NHL powerplay is 19.98 percent this season (which is a bit on the high side actually, it's only been higher than 20% once in the last 29 years). If it was statistically average it would only mean an extra 1.5 goals on the season.
The goddamn Minnesota Wild have a 20% PP. The Rangers are converting 22.2%. If a team with Scheifele, Laine, Connor, Wheeler and Ehlers at its disposal can't manage to be above average on the power play, then maybe they should...oh, I don't know...fire the coach?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not really meant to spark much discussion or be overly thought provoking but this tweet from Bill Barnwell came up in Sean McIndoe's/DownGoesBrown's weekend power rankings from The Athletic

Linking to DGB's reply to the mentioned tweet, DGB seemed surprised that there were people that disagreed and it kind of boiled down to this:

Sean McIndoe said:
They’re just not as important, or as hard to find, as elite talent. There are guys you could name in the NBA or NFL that probably pass this test, but hockey? Nope.
Am I wrong? A few people think I am, so I’m willing to hear the case. Would you keep your team’s coach over its very best player?

I think in the context of the current Jets it would probably be whether Chevy would ever choose Maurice over any one of Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, or Hellebuyck.
If the question becomes choosing between the coach and the absolute most valuable player that the Jets have I don't think it's any question that you choose Scheifele every time.

It's definitely not something that's black or white though, you'd expect that Chevy would talk to the rest of the team to see whether that situation is reconcilable.
I don't think you can let the players feel like they have that much control though, otherwise you end up with a new coach every 2 and a half seasons when things aren't going right.

Reactions: hn777

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
For me this whole coaching thing has come down to the off season.
At this point in my opinion you ride it out and hope for the best.
I do hope there is no extension for any of the coaches.
The definition of insanity comes to mind here if we extend them.
In addition to coaching change I’m hoping some players get moved out and at this point I don’t care who.
Seems many nights we are going through the motions ( not always) and that nobody really fears for their jobs.
We have as an organization made it really easy for players to play without urgency as everyone knows change is hard for this club and that goes all the way to the top.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Let me put something in context with what I believe will or will not happen

- I think it matters how the team is playing
- I think the past 2 games are how they want the team to play
- I think if they play that way for the majority of these final games the management will be happy
- Regardless of if they win or not, how they win or lose going foward is important

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
One bonus from the Buff story: Maurice thinks a high priced rental this year "doesn't make sense".

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

- I think if they play that way for the majority of these final games the management will be happy
- Regardless of if they win or not, how they win or lose going foward is important

They have played well from an effort stand point but I hope the org isn't fooled into thinking effort is enough to gloss over what I would say are major systemic issues on the team. Our special teams are a joke and our 5 on 5 system bleeds chances at an alarming rate. Sure talent can account for some of that but not all.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
The goddamn Minnesota Wild have a 20% PP. The Rangers are converting 22.2%. If a team with Scheifele, Laine, Connor, Wheeler and Ehlers at its disposal can't manage to be above average on the power play, then maybe they should...oh, I don't know...fire the coach?

Hey, not saying the PP couldn't definitely use some improvement. Just pointing out the other guy is well..wrong. And to apply some perspective. The difference between 20th and 11th (currently Washington Capitals, at 20.1%) powerplay is 2 goals. That is, 2 goals would put the Jets at 20.2%.

Reactions: Gm0ney

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They have played well from an effort stand point but I hope the org isn't fooled into thinking effort is enough to gloss over what I would say are major systemic issues on the team. Our special teams are a joke and our 5 on 5 system bleeds chances at an alarming rate. Sure talent can account for some of that but not all.

Our PP needs to be a lot better -
It's the one opportunity the team has to make the most of their best assets (O) without their worst assets (D) impacting the results.
There are no excuses for this team not being one of the best on the PP - this is one area that I hold coaching and pretty much only coaching, accountable.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It's the one opportunity the team has to make the most of their best assets (O) without their worst assets (D) impacting the results.
There are no excuses for this team not being one of the best on the PP - this is one area that I hold coaching and pretty much only coaching, accountable.

I'd like Paul to test out KC swapped with Wheels. KC is the best on the team at holding onto the puck with pressure while also being a huge threat on the shot. Wheels is a big body to screen the goalie. Might also allow KC to carry the puck more often through the neutral zone and help with their entries. Either way Paul needs to do something new.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So if you feel that coaching has an impact on the PP , why not in other areas? Most reasonable people understand the talent on the blue line is a major factor, but to blame it entirely seems a bit extreme. If the coaching is failing to maximize the highest end talent we have on the PP, what hope do we have of them having the slightest bit of success further down the lineup?

Reactions: rkp and Mbraunm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Our PK has been a recurring issue since he took over no matter what the personnel. I think he is incredibly poor at deriving a functional PK system.

So if his special teams aren't great what is he doing well as a coach?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Our PK has been a recurring issue since he took over no matter what the personnel. I think he is incredibly poor at deriving a functional PK system.

So if his special teams aren't great what is he doing well as a coach?
Rumour has it he has a good bench. I’m still not certain if that means it’s just a really good bench, as in nice wood or perhaps a really high quality resin, or if has something to do with the players.
I’m starting to suspect the former.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Rumour has it he has a good bench. I’m still not certain if that means it’s just a really good bench, as in nice wood or perhaps a really high quality resin, or if has something to do with the players.

I hear he built it himself :sarcasm:

Crazy Benches Installed in Belgium - By Danish Artist Jeppe Hein (8).jpg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I've also heard that rumour. Though I thought it was more our constant pipeline of quality vets like Hendricks, Bitts, Lets, Sbisa, Borque, etc., who now maintain that excellent bench.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So if you feel that coaching has an impact on the PP , why not in other areas? Most reasonable people understand the talent on the blue line is a major factor, but to blame it entirely seems a bit extreme. If the coaching is failing to maximize the highest end talent we have on the PP, what hope do we have of them having the slightest bit of success further down the lineup?

I didn't say the coach was not impacting other areas of our game and I did not blame the blue line for impacting our PP -
My post was in regard to the pp - nothing more.

What I was trying to point out is that the PP is a very structured event that coaching will have a huge impact on.
It's also an area of the game where our D shortfall has little impact -

Our strength is in our offense - and when we have that offense out there with a man advantage, we should be able to scoring more than we are.
I'm blaming a lot of this on Mo - IMO, we have the wrong player running the PP and changes in where these guys are positioned should help.
The possible moves have been covered buy several including myself - put someone on the strong side half wall that is more creative and better with the puck - someone who will move into other areas and get this PP rotating making it harder to defend.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I didn't say the coach was not impacting other areas of our game and I did not blame the blue line for impacting our PP -
My post was in regard to the pp - nothing more.

What I was trying to point out is that the PP is a very structured event that coaching will have a huge impact on.
It's also an area of the game where our D shortfall has little impact -

Our strength is in our offense - and when we have that offense out there with a man advantage, we should be able to scoring more than we are.
I'm blaming a lot of this on Mo - IMO, we have the wrong player running the PP and changes in where these guys are positioned should help.
The possible moves have been covered buy several including myself - put someone on the strong side half wall that is more creative and better with the puck - someone who will move into other areas and get this PP rotating making it harder to defend.

Tell me about it.....:rolleyes:

None

Feb 22, 2012
It felt like he was poking at fans when he was talking about higher event hockey in the first 2 games after the break.

I wonder if someone with some sway has heard about people wanting more entertaining hockey? Maybe they see the same things without prompting :dunno:

Reactions: surixon

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

I agree that how the team plays is what’s important. There is a lot of randomness involved in single game results, you can do the right things and lose or you can do the wrong things as win in single games or short stretch’s. I also agree that the Jets have played fairly well for the last few games. If they had played this way all season they would be in a much better spot today.

The issue I have is that they have not played like this all season. Just the opposite in fact. Short as it is, this may be the only stretch of games the Jets have played well all season. I’m not prepared to ignore 50 games where they played badly just because the team played fairly well in 4.

Reactions: surixon

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

It’s all fine and good praising the job Maurice has done , but what about last year when we were leaking oil and there was an obvious disconnect in the dressing room?
It’s been a linear progression downward since the Vegas series and it’s not looking better.
I truly think Maurice had his pinnacle moment in the magical season of 114 points.
I can’t fathom another 2-3 years of this style of hockey.... can you?
Why is Winnipeg so afraid of change?​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad