Coaching Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Is it normal to Like every post about firing PoMo and feeling a little better on the inside?

Not sure-but I support those posts, so I would think there isn’t anything wrong with doing that.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
OK -lost 8 of the last 9 games at home and 5 games straight - This crew is making the 2011 Jets look like world beaters.

The total lack of any adjustments over the all-star break really speaks to Maurices's absolute lack of urgency. He is coaching like a guy with a contract for next season.

Although in the past, in all his wisdom Maurice has said that he is not concerned if his power play produces as long as his PK is rolling.

Did he really say that? In the sense of as opposed to wanting both to be rolling, or "at least something is rolling?"

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Did he reply say that? In the sense of as opposed to wanting both to be rolling, or "at least something is rolling?"
Multiple times over his tenure as head coach Maurice has said that he is not concerned if his PP is ineffective but he needed an effective PK.

I have not heard him say it lately but I have personally tuned him out for the last little bit. 8 out of 10 times he likes the way the team has played. Whether that is just what he has said to the media who knows if that is what he actually believes and conveys to the players.

Mr. media smooth talker that coach Maurice

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I wonder if Chevy can do an undo?

Chevy: " I know we just extended you for 3 more years Paul, but I was just joking. And to make it up, here's Seattle's phone number. Guaranteed job, just call them. "

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Chevy: " I know we just extended you for 3 more years Paul, but I was just joking. And to make it up, here's Seattle's phone number. Guaranteed job, just call them. "
In any sport has a coach/manager been relieved of their duties prior to the extension kicking in?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

He would be starting with a better roster there with a gm with 1 month on the job then the one here with 9 years. A roster that 50% of this team couldnt make.

None

Feb 22, 2012
In any sport has a coach/manager been relieved of their duties prior to the extension kicking in?

Shortest tenure I know of in recent history is Ron Rolston, hired and fired in the same calendar year from the Sabres. Rolston was named interim head coach of the Sabres in February 2013 and then upgraded to full-time coach with a new 3 year contract early in the 2013 off-season and then fired ~6 weeks into the the following 13-14 season.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
powerplay.jpg

I found out what's been ailing the Jets powerplay ;)

"reminder": it's empty !!!!! :laugh: don't do anything.....

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Maurice could be a decent coach for a low talent, lunch bucket team. His systems perfectly match.

however, he has never known how to utilise talent, nor set systems accordingly-a complete and utter mismatch. He also does not make effective nor timely in game adjustments of any kind. (never mind special teams - that is an additional issue)

one of his greatest strengths though is that he is highly personable and knows how to get a team to play for him

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I've been think alot about the reasoning behind maurice not changing PP or pk when they suck or line structure or anything for that matter.

I've came to the conclusion that if he does start changing things drastically as most of us feel he should then it will show management and chipman that what he is doing is not working.

Keeping everything the same has the excuse of players or lack of players being the problem and will shield him of blame

Reactions: rkp

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've been think alot about the reasoning behind maurice not changing PP or pk when they suck or line structure or anything for that matter.

I've came to the conclusion that if he does start changing things drastically as most of us feel he should then it will show management and chipman that what he is doing is not working.

Keeping everything the same has the excuse of players or lack of players being the problem and will shield him of blame

So he'd rather lose than change, is what you're saying?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Obviously he wants to win. That's what is so confusing. Unless he has a motive

Most coaches won't make drastic changes. They've had a coaching philosophy they've worked on and developed over a long period of time. They might tweak it, but they won't uproot it entirely.

You can argue that his coaching style isn't working anymore, but some of the posts on here are getting a bit out of hand.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Obviously he wants to win. That's what is so confusing. Unless he has a motive
His motive is to stay employed. Keeps his stars happy by letting them play how they want. Fills out the roster with lovable plugs and try hards. He coaches good enough to most be ok. Charms it up with the media.
PoMo is not a guy to win at all costs. That was as obvious the day we signed him as it is now.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't think you will find a coach that talks a better game than Paul Maurice. And when I say "talks", I'm referring to selling himself and his ideas to the people that sign his paycheques.

When your career record is:

1582 - 721W - 642L - 99T - 120OL 0.525 regular season
80 - 36W - 44L 0.450 playoffs

you have to be selling something, because your numbers aren't.

As PL said above... his only motivation is to stay employed.

Note:

If he stays until the end of the season he will pass Ken Kitchcock and Al Arbour in games coached. Will move into 4th all time.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya because why would you want to win all the time when that is clearly the best way to stay employed? :sarcasm:
Personality counts for a lot in any job. Paul's a stand up guy. TNSE is loyal (and so was Rutherford). PoMo's got a coaching job for lyfe! ;)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Theres a very strong argument to be made that coaching or lack there of is why we are below the line.. If our PP was just average we'd likely be in a playoff spot regardless of its cuz of Helle. The lack of trying different players or a different system on the pp and pk for that matter has actually cost us several wins

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad