Speculation: Coaching Staff: Who Stays/Goes/Joins

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There's a video of Hextall on the Flyers' website and basically describes the assistant coaching decision as follows:

They wanted three distinct types of assistant coaches:
1. A former defenseman who would work with the defenseman;
2. A former forward who would handle the PP and work on forwards' offensive games; and
3. A coach who is well-liked by the players and can serve as the "buffer" between the players and head coach.

Hextall said he and Hakstol decided on each coach independently. They considered outside options, but decided Murphy fit the defensive coach position well; Mullen fit the offensive coach position well; and Laperriere fit the buffer coach position well, and that it wasn't worth making changes for the sake of making changes.

It was clear Hakstol wasn't forced to keep any or all of the assistants, so he must have been satisfied by his meetings with them.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Keeping Giroux out for the full 2 minutes would be a good idea. He and Coots seem to have chemistry together as well, so maybe Coots would start scoring more on the PP. Put Laughton on the right half-wall where Voracek goes and unit 2 could be pretty good.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
There's a video of Hextall on the Flyers' website and basically describes the assistant coaching decision as follows:

2. A former forward who would handle the PP and work on forwards' offensive games; and
3. A coach who is well-liked by the players and can serve as the "buffer" between the players and head coach.

Hextall said he and Hakstol decided on each coach independently. They considered outside options, but decided Murphy fit the defensive coach position well; Mullen fit the offensive coach position well; and Laperriere fit the buffer coach position well, and that it wasn't worth making changes for the sake of making changes.

It was clear Hakstol wasn't forced to keep any or all of the assistants, so he must have been satisfied by his meetings with them.

Seriously... those three points look like something we Fans would post here... I could see myself posting it, and getting flak on it too. Simplistic yet makes sense... down to the 'not making a change for change sake' line. One thing I can say is that if Hextall is not bluntly honest at times, then I don't know what to say about him... to come out and state that they wanted and have a coach whose main job is being liked by the players and being a 'buffer' is refreshingly honest... but downright odd to have a GM officially come out with at a Presser... Good for him.

That said... not a glowing description of Lappy's job qualifications for being an NHL Assistant Coach. ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
"A coach who is well-liked by the players and can serve as the "buffer" between the players and head coach."

Not pictured: the coaching part.

The last thing Dave Hakstol needs serving as a buffer thus having his ear is someone who thinks Zac Rinaldo is a hidden gem who gets victimized by the officials.

You don't have to make changes just to make changes, but that was one where that criteria didn't apply.

Otherwise, I'm not crazy about Murphy, and I like Mullen, but I'm cool with both staying. If Del Zotto and Schultz were graded higher than anticipated prior to their addition, that reflects well on Murphy.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I wonder if part of the reasoning they didn't change staff had to do with the compensation rule that came in place. You have to compensate for taking assistant coaches, don't you?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if part of the reasoning they didn't change staff had to do with the compensation rule that came in place. You have to compensate for taking assistant coaches, don't you?

We didn't get any compensation for Reese or Murray so I'm guessing it only comes into affect when assistants are hired into big roles.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
We didn't get any compensation for Reese or Murray so I'm guessing it only comes into affect when assistants are hired into big roles.

Reese isn't considered an assistant coach(or is he? Is a goalie coach an assistant coach?) and Murray's contract had expired. I think the situations are different.

I found an article and I'm wrong anyway, only GMs, Head Coaches and Presidents of Hockey Ops get compensation.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

I'm thinking it is only in effect when the Coach is being paid by the Team... like Berube is as his Contract runs through the 2015-16 Season... Murray's Contract ran out, I believe, and he is free to sign another wherever he pleases... Reese and the Flyers mutually severed ties so I assume that allowed him his freedom -- and I think they looked into it to make sure that was indeed the case -- I would think that there are many Coaches out there whose Contacts ran out, and compensation is not an issue... But I could be wrong.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Reese isn't considered an assistant coach(or is he? Is a goalie coach an assistant coach?) and Murray's contract had expired. I think the situations are different.

I found an article and I'm wrong anyway, only GMs, Head Coaches and Presidents of Hockey Ops get compensation.

I believe that Goalie Coaches are Assistant Coaches... Assistants who tend to Goalies, like the ones who tend to the PK or the Defense/Forwards/etc. ... assisting the Head Coach... But I suppose we are merely playing with words and it really has no bearing on anything... The compensation rules doesn't seem to matter with who is considered what on this level.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thinking it is only in effect when the Coach is being paid by the Team... like Berube is as his Contract runs through the 2015-16 Season... Murray's Contract ran out, I believe, and he is free to sign another wherever he pleases... Reese and the Flyers mutually severed ties so I assume that allowed him his freedom -- and I think they looked into it to make sure that was indeed the case -- I would think that there are many Coaches out there whose Contacts ran out, and compensation is not an issue... But I could be wrong.

As we've seen with McLellan & Edmonton it doesn't matter if the two parties mutually part ways.

As posted above it looks like it's only for higher positions when compensation comes into play.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Translation:

The coaches had contracts so let them come back, we can always fire them anytime.

Oh, and the marketing slogan after each defeat next year is "Lost'un for Auston" so we don't care if we win much.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Translation:

The coaches had contracts so let them come back, we can always fire them anytime.

Oh, and the marketing slogan after each defeat next year is "Lost'un for Auston" so we don't care if we win much.

It sounded like they would have had no problem going with different assistants if Hakstol wanted to. In fact, they probably would have added Dane Jackson if his family didn't want to stay in North Dakota.

But when you think about it, there really is no reason to change.

Gord Murphy is an experienced and well-respected defensive coach in the NHL.

Mullen has been successful for years coaching the power play.

And Laperriere probably is about as good of a "buffer" coach as you could find, considering his youth, work ethic, and personality. Plus he's a good stickler for fitness and probably a much better fit for Hakstol's aggressive style of play than Berube's neutered, no penalties at all costs style.

And they have the advantage of knowing the players and hopefully providing some insight as to what went wrong last season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Compensation is only for head coaches, GM's, and team presidents.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I have no issue with keeping Murphy or Mullen. The defense is poor because of the level of talent that is there. Actually Murphy made adjustments over last season that made the bunch look better than they really are. Mullen's PP is decent. Again the second PP unit is what it is because of the talent that is on it.
Keeping Lappy could be a problem. Then again, the offense is poor because of the problems with talent at forward more than coaching.
Perhaps a change in systems under Hakstol will bring on improvement; probably not. Talent matters and the Flyers are short of it across the board. What this roster looks like now and what it will be a year from now may surprise many fans. I'd suspect that over half of it, if not two thirds of it will be gone.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It sounded like they would have had no problem going with different assistants if Hakstol wanted to. In fact, they probably would have added Dane Jackson if his family didn't want to stay in North Dakota.

And Laperriere probably is about as good of a "buffer" coach as you could find, considering his youth, work ethic, and personality. Plus he's a good stickler for fitness and probably a much better fit for Hakstol's aggressive style of play than Berube's neutered, no penalties at all costs style.

And they have the advantage of knowing the players and hopefully providing some insight as to what went wrong last season.

Hakstol also asked Berry to come with him, but he stayed at UND at head coach.

Agreed that it's no problem keeping them. Some continuity. Gives Hakstol a chance to start implementing his ideas gradually.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I have no issue with keeping Murphy or Mullen. The defense is poor because of the level of talent that is there. Actually Murphy made adjustments over last season that made the bunch look better than they really are. Mullen's PP is decent. Again the second PP unit is what it is because of the talent that is on it.
Keeping Lappy could be a problem. Then again, the offense is poor because of the problems with talent at forward more than coaching.
Perhaps a change in systems under Hakstol will bring on improvement; probably not. Talent matters and the Flyers are short of it across the board. What this roster looks like now and what it will be a year from now may surprise many fans. I'd suspect that over half of it, if not two thirds of it will be gone.

Lappy may not be an expert tactician, but that's not his role.

I think it is valuable to have an assistant who can relate to the players, provides enthusiasm, and is a good soldier in carrying out the head coach's orders.

And for as bad as the Flyers' PK was last year under Lappy, it was 7th in the NHL under him the previous year. The bigger problem is personnel.

And who knows, Hakstol could move the PK to Murphy's command; it remains to be seen how he will divide responsibilities.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

The bolded part is a good point... and if I may expand on it, through my way of thinking... it may not be wrong to consider the possibility that during their individual interviews -- and in their attempt to retain their positions and keep their families in the Area -- that they could have with respect volunteered their thoughts on what they believe Chief did incorrectly... that they were bound to support last Season... and suggested ways to adjust those missteps. With the talent and good points that they may have displayed they may have been able to argue their worth with an insider's view and information that they really couldn't have imparted while being a supportive assistant to Berube but were morally free to pass on now.

It is clear that their interviews to retain their positions went a long way in convincing Hex and Hak... and their talent could possibly be easily replaced, while their insiders knowledge of both the Players and the Organization probably could not have. In the end, my guess is that H&H could not find enough viable reasons to make changes... and understood that the ability to make changes on the Staff will always be there... with Snider/Comcast deep pockets' allowing it if needed, without fear of eating unused Contract Capital.

... Just a thought.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Interesting. Anyway, retaining the staff should help Hakstol settle in this season so he gets acclimated to the league. Next season I think he will be ready to put his stamp on his staff. I am not saying this is a lost year coming up but one of transition. It will be very interesting to see the lineup after the draft and trades are completed. I am very excited to see who can hang with his style of game, I have always been a fan of the relentless fore-checking game. Now come on Friday!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad