Speculation: Coaching Staff: Who Stays/Goes/Joins

SchennSational1022*

Am I the only one who really doesn't want Terry Murray anywhere near this team?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
im def. worried he will try to be headcoach from behind the scene..

hopefully hakstol puts him in his place early

I doubt that Hextall would hire Hak and potentially pay him all that money for a five year commitment and not have Hakstol be completely in control.

I would expect Murray, if selected, to be there to show Hak the NHL ropes and grease the skids of his first few trips around the NHL and with the Officials and nuances of the League... I would also expect Murray to help with the growth of the younger players and with the handling of the older vets... something that Hak would not be familiar with since he has 100% dealt with college aged players... I would expect Murray to do his job as the Defense Coach(?) or whatever position Hex and Hak place him... IMO, if Murray oversteps his bounds he will be put in his place and if not corrected he would be released... I'm basing this on what I perceive Hextall to be and the support I'm expecting Snider to have with this new hire.

In short; Murray not falling in step with the Organization's plan is the least of my concerns with this... After all, we see how quickly Murray was relieved of his position after taking the Flyers to the SCF last time... and IIRC, he was an assistant and mentor with Stevens without any problems before... and that was with a much less commitment to Stevens.

Just my personal opinion though.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you guys are going to start panicking about Murray possibly ending up as an assistant just remember that we didn't know just how ******* Berube was when he was an assistant because he didn't have that big of an impact on the team. Being an assistant coach is very different from being head coach.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I posted it in the Dave Hakstol thread too, mainly because I thought I was in this thread, but Elliotte Friedman said the Flyers are thought to be interested in Kings development goalie coach Kim Dillbaugh. Leafs want to talk to him too, but the Kings always blocked him in the past, and may not get a window until after the draft.

Otherwise, now that Manchester wrapped up the Calder Cup last night, wonder if some of the chess pieces are finally moved. Have to think Hextall wants to talk to some of those people.

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts yesterday:
11. Two teams with connections to Kim Dillabaugh are believed to want to interview him for their vacant goalie coach position. Dillabaugh oversees goaltender development for the Kings. He’s worked closely with Jonathan Bernier, and for Ron Hextall. Toronto is definitely interested, and Philadelphia is thought to be. The hurdle is at least one team (Carolina) asked to interview him a year ago, and was refused. It is possible Dillabaugh will be given a window after the draft, since the Kings want his expertise on goalies during the selection process. But that is not a guarantee. “Dean Lombardi does not believe in free trade,†one opposing executive laughed.

12. If Dillabaugh is not allowed to go, it will be interesting to see if the Flyers ask instead to speak to Bill Ranford, the Kings’ current coach. More and more teams are doing this “double setup,†with someone at the NHL and another person moving throughout the organization. Dallas is the latest to adopt, as Jeff Reese, formerly of Philadelphia, is expected to be hired. Mike Valley slides to the roving position. Reese will try to resurrect Kari Lehtonen as he did Steve Mason. It doesn’t sound like there’s a ton of interest in the Stars’ No. 1.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-defencemen-a-hot-commodity-at-draft/#__federated=1

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Buffalo. On Bylsma's staff.
Don't think that Hextall wanted him on Hakstol's staff. If he did, he would have hoped him weeks ago for that job.

I kind of agree with this, he had him, if he wanted him on the staff, the job would've been his.

You don't drag your feet.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I wonder if Kimmo will be brought on as D coach ? Any precedence to guys retiring and coaching right away with 0 experience ?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I wonder if Kimmo will be brought on as D coach ? Any precedence to guys retiring and coaching right away with 0 experience ?

Kimmo said he didn't want to coach, coaching requires traveling, dude probably wants to enjoy a couple of years of his life.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Good. Remember Panotch saying Murray is already on Haxstol's staff :lol:. Panotch, guy is such a ****ing stupid piece of you know what.

I totally forgot. He basically said it was gonna happen, the title implied it was a done deal.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Hexy may not have wanted him... or it might me that in this particular case his great patience may have caused the Flyers to lose out on Murray's services. If Hextall was waiting to see if he could lasso another Coach and during that attempt Murray took a bird in hand offer, it may come back to haunt him if Murray was Number Two on his list and his Number One decides to go another route.

All complete and unsupported speculation for sure... but a possibility when dealing now with a stance of not rushing into things as opposed to a stance of striking while the iron is hot... A glass half full guy may point to Hextall eventually hiring a better man, while a glass half empty guy will lament on letting the devil you know slip away from our grasp... And then there are the foxes who will say that the grapes were sour anyway. ;)

#ClichésGoingForABuckADozenToday

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
just going to throw Scott Stevens name out as an assistant.

we all know the history. just let it go. the man knew how to play defense. he could work well with some of the prospects we have coming.

I'd rather move along a bit slower in the retool process than welcome that head hunting assassin into the Organization.

I will never forgive him for knowing the situation with Eric yet still putting a man's life on the backburner as he had his partner lure Lindros into a position where he could give him a (then) legal but lethal type of blow to the head, given the circumstance... While we all may love players who will do anything to win, as a caring human, I personally have my limits. JMO

#FollowThroughMyAssItWasAnElbow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad